Best buy, Apple or AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphatectz, Jul 14, 2009.

1. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

im about to buy my 3gs but there all out of stock, when will the 3gs b back in stock. what place would be better to buy the 3gs? im guessing best buy just because of the extra insurence they have. (but what if i have to exchange my 3gs for a refurb will bestbuy exchange it or will i have to go to apple)???
    confused confused:confused:

2. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I've done both, I would say Apple.
    I bought mine at apple and always got fantastic service there.

I bought my g/f's iPhone at AT&T, the next morning we had a problem with the digitizer (screen wouldnt respond) and we brought i back to AT&T less than 24 hours later.

AT&T could not help us, they couldnt even swap or replace the phone. He sent us back to Apple! so we ended up driving to Apple anyways where they returned and replaced the phone.

when i showed the genius the receipt he actually made a comment like 'oh you bought it at AT&T'. I think there was a little extra paper work. Im not sure.

end result, AT&T, not so much good follow up support on defective device...
    Apple, great support.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The iPhone is fairly unique among smartphones, b/c you can actually purchase the device from the manufacturer. Buy from Apple, get your service provider help from AT&T.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, the only reason I wouldn't buy at an Apple store is if there was something complex about my AT&T account. Apple does not have direct access to customers accounts (unlike AT&T and Best Buy), so if there's any question that you'll run into problems, I'd not upgrade at Apple.

Otherwise, Apple stocks their stores with product first (so you're more likely to find better stock there), their process for checking out is fairly quick (assuming you don't hit any problems with your AT&T account), and they usually have more people working that are available to sell iPhones.

IMO, anyway. :D

5. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

thnx for all the quick replys, i havent had a problem with at&t Csupport, or apples but i think im going to stick with apple and get my 32 3gs not sure what color yet but from what i seen i think im leaning towards the black. but o man o man that sweet extra insurence that Bestbuy has is sweet. so im still somewhat stumped lol

6. chandsa Guest

I purchased my iPhone 3G at an AT&T store and the lady that helped us took about 35 minutes to complete the whole process, which included transferring all the data from my old phone to the iPhone 3G.

I will have to agree with the other posters, better if you get your phone from the Apple Store. AT&T just washes their hands off once they have "got you". Just my experience...

7. alphatectz thread starter macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

hmmmmm, i might just go there today after work and get it over with, i just hope they will be able to add another line to my fam acct.

8. lavinci macrumors 6502

I would highly recommend Apple for a better purchasing environment and the place to be for your first accessories.

9. slabman macrumors member

Since I also need to get a conventional phone for the Wife, I am of the assumption I'll need to go to ATT for that phone. I also need to transfer my contacts to the iPhone. Therefore, I might as well buy both at ATT? Or is there another way?

10. Oman macrumors regular

If I was in the market for an iPhone I would buy it from Best Buy. I bought my son's from Best Buy and did not have any issues at all with porting the number etc.. I also purchased the insurance from Best Buy. Apple does not cover water damager, accidental breakage and all the other things that can happen to your phone that does not have anything to do with the device failin itself. Best Buy warranty covers everything except losing the phone. If you buy from Best Buy you get the same support from Appe and ATT that those who purchased their device from them recieve. If you do not want Best Buy warranty, than it really does not matter where you buy it from. :apple:

11. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

You can always get your iPhone at Apple on an individual line and then merge it into a FamilyTalk plan at AT&T, Best Buy or any authorized AT&T agent.

Apple only sells the iPhone so they can only create iPhone only FamilyTalk plans with two iPhones.

If you have your contacts on your current SIM, you can just import them into your iPhone after puchase / activation. AT&T and Bestbuy both offer assistance in setup of your iPhone (getting the contacts loaded). You may have your contracts stored in your phone and not on the SIM. What kind of Phone do you have?

Dave

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Buy it from an Apple store if there is one near you. Then just call or visit an ATT store if you need service help.

13. slabman macrumors member

Dave, I have a Dare phone from Verizon.

Who charges that stupid activation fee and how do I avoid that charge?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Safest choice. Apple. I would go to AT&T if there is a problem with your account.