Best Buy bent my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Montymitch, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Mid 2010 iMac went in for repair, the LCD panel was delaminating. Fine, I paid extra for the Geek Squad protection. The manager was a bit incompetent and had trouble taking my name and address down which was the first bad omen. I brought in the iMac in its original box so it wouldn't get damaged during shipping.
    When it was repaired, I picked it up and they had lost the box. Bad omen number two. They just brought it out of the back of the store completely naked. As a consolation prize, they gave me some bubble wrap. This is not ok--I'm moving and need that box so I don't mess it up in the UHaul.
    Anyway, now I'm looking at the back of the computer and the stand is bent, there are hundreds of fine visible stress cracks in the anodized finish on the back of the stand. I'm a little upset with BB.
    Where else should I look for damage before calling these clowns up? I'm worried that I'm going to find more problems. Am I within the bounds of reason to ask for a new machine?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

3. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

No kidding. In my opinion, they just killed the resale value of my computer, and it was on my upgrade schedule for Christmas.

4. kingtj macrumors 68020

No offense, but ...

This is just one more of millions of examples of why GeekSquad anything isn't worth the paper their advertising is printed on.

I just had to visit a Best Buy store last week to grab a couple of laser printers and extra toners for a show my company was putting on. We asked the guy in the GeekSquad shirt if the new printers supported Bonjour protocol for printing. His response? What's that? I've never heard of it. I had to clarify that it's the protocol Apple Mac's use. Then he said, "Oh! Ok! Yeah.... These printers do have Mac support. I think OS X 9 works ... and 10 point something it goes to, too.... Yeah, like all the way up to 10.4."

Thanks, moron .....

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd definitely stake a claim with corporate. Take a look at the service order they gave you when you checked it in. There is a field for condition. Check to see if they made note of any bending or visible stress cracks. If they didn't, definitely speak to the GM of the store, or if they (like most) don't give a damn about you, report it to corporate and they will take care of you.

Side note: Don't ever bring boxes or bags into a GeekSquad. We work in glorified closets and there is absolutely no room to hold onto that kind of thing, and we can't send computers out in anything but the boxes the companies allows for use.

6. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

Yep, I learned my lesson the hard way. I'm concerned about what it took to bend that stand--it's thick. I'm sure they'll try to replace it as a first course of action, but where there is external damage there is internal damage.
    So, has anyone ever walked out with a new machine after something like this?

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Depends, technically it's cosmetic but I'd imagine if you made enough of a polite fuss they could send it back out and have it fixed.

A little tidbit to keep in mind, BestBuy uses UPS for it's shipping. If anyone caused damage to your unit, it's them. That said, you had it serviced through BestBuy, as far as I'm concerned it's on them. Trust me, things are so miserable at the Geeksquad that I'm entirely sure none of them bent the unit, damaging a computer is one sure way to make sure the managers rain down hellfire one you.

8. zone23 macrumors 68000

I'd be mad, really mad.. on the other hand lesson learned - don't take your computers to best buy EVER! I would NEVER let them work on any of my computers.

Guy at work said something was wrong with his daughters laptop display. I told him the display was probably broken (happens all the time with college students and book bags). Brought it into the office and I looked at it, immediately said the display is broken. BB had told him it was the video card and he needed a new laptop. Ordered a new display popped it in and it was good as new. True story..

9. fa8362 macrumors 65816

He brought it and picked it up. UPS was not involved.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know for a fact we do not have the tools to work on an iMac in store. No precinct does. We aren't even allowed to do motherboards in store.

So yes, UPS was involved.

11. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I've heard of worse GeekSquad accidents(forklift through a PC tower), you have to remember the in-store techs only do simple stuff(software related, burn recovery discs, memory & HDD for PCs) and the rest is massively outsourced so damage can happen in shipping(to or from the repair center).

As far as getting a replacement Mac, it may vary of how HQ will handle it(replace the back+stand) and what kind of notes if any your store had made. You should always inspect the condition of a "repaired" item before signing the repair terms slip... I learned this years ago with my moms' horror with CompUSA. One tip of advise with Best Buy, if you've always shopped at that BB you'll have better luck with a manager willing to work with HQ.

...thankfully where I live, I still have the option of a local Apple Authorized Dealer(Small Dog) and "repair techs" rarely quit/leave :cool:

12. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

UPS was definitley involved. BB sent it out to replace the LCD panel. However, BB is also responsible for packaging. If they want to pin it on UPS, that's fine with me so long as they work it out.
    I'll just buy AppleCare next time, but for now, that's not an option.

13. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

The tricky part is even Apple Stores/Dealers will still use a depot(Flextronics) on AppleCare-d Macs and accidents happen too(UPS or FedEx). Extended warranty from Best Buy, Frys, Microcenter, etc have a little extra coverage options you can't get with AppleCare such as accidental or up to 5yrs of coverage.

Keep in mind newer Macs are going towards the appliance "throw-away" sales model, don't be shocked if the next iMac is built like the retina MBP of everything is glued together :(

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I've had good experiences with BB, but I would never trust them with a Mac.

15. mmcgann11 macrumors newbie

Wow. Best Buy bought my friends Website (etown.com) and broke that, too.:)

Seriously, though, going back to my days covering retailing, Best Buy service was hilarious. When I moved on to consumer home theater magazines, when I was feeling particularly cruel, I'd go into Best Buy and ask questions about HT gear. A laugh riot of wrong information.

I'd never let Geek Squad person come within 50 feet of any Mac of mine. Ever. Apple store can be their own special challenge, but there, you have a chance of getting it fixed right. At Best Buy? Nada.

16. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

Well, I'm taking it in again today. The display falls forward if my desk gets bumped. Wish me luck.

17. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Damn to bend the stand on an iMac, ones got to be pretty rough on it.

The screen falling forward sounds like the mechanism the stand is torqued into is damaged badly.

for something like this itd have to be a new stand, new mechanism, new back housing at the least.

is this a 21 or 27"?

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

In the end Best Buy is responsible for fixing this damage. You did not hire whoever was transporting it, they did.

I would call corporate and talk to them before bringing it back in. I would explain to corporate, in a polite but concerned manner, what has happened. Tell them you have pretty much lost resale value due to missing box and damage done. Also explain that the damage that did occur would have taken excessive force and that you are very concerned with other problems down the road with your computer.

Do not let them give you a "NO" for an answer. Ask to have the computer replaced. Make sure not to get rude with them, but do not back down either. Just continue to ask for someone higher up in the corporate food chain if the person you are talking to is not reasonable.

Then my next best advice would be to never use Best Buy for service again.

19. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I once worked on a pc tower a friend of mine had. She took it in for a replacement power supply. They installed it upside-down, did not secure it, did not properly attach panels, put way too much thermal paste on the processor for some reason and did not mount it properly, etc.

I had to tear it completely apart and redo it. It was tragic how poorly this machine was serviced.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

UPS typically gives certain packing requirements, especially for contents of higher value. If they were within that and the packaging was obviously damaged, it might be on UPS. I'm not sure you would have to take it up with UPS though. Best Buy might handle that.

21. Michaelgtrusa, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  22. KaraH macrumors 6502

While this is a bit off-topic I have done something like that too. When I was in grad school I was a system manager for one of their machines. The OS manuals were kept behind the help desk though so I was always having to go down there to look up some obscure tidbit.

The people there that knew me just gave me whatever manual I wanted. Being student workers though there was constant turnover so at the beginning of each semester someone would ask me what I needed help with ... so I would tell them. They would end up with a confused expression, hand over the manual, and never ask me that question again.

23. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

For me, I would have been upset about them losing the box... to me, that's a big (but silly, I guess) selling point... but I think most Apple users expect it:

For Sale - 2011 iMac with ALL original manuals and packaging, blah blah

--rob

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

The OP's contract is with BB. If UPS were involved its irrelevant. He needs BB to replace/repair. If BB want to pursue a claim with UPS that's their business.

To the OP any news?

25. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Pictures?