Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Some people need to read the entire thread before posting.

OP, I'm glad things worked out for your sister.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love it that people find Best Buy employees any worse than say Apple retail employees (some of them that is).

JonsMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Kinda wondered why i had like three pieces of tap sealing the box. Everything else was sealed like everyone else said.

I'm really enjoying my first Mac!!

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
DO NOT!!!!! buy from best buy. I refuse to purchase anything from that store. Their return policies are HORRID, their knowledge is even worse. They are the epitome of a money hungry large chain who doesn't care AT ALL for it's customers.

While I was out Christmas shopping I went into Best Buy for a little while. I could not help but listen to their young employee explaining to a father and son why the Samsung tablet was vastly superior to the iPad, and how with the Apple product you are basically just buying a brand name. God, how I hate that store.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Not quite.

Picked up a dozen MBP 13" in the past few weeks from my local Apple store...none of them had iLife 11 installed, however, each box had been opened, and the iLife DVD placed inside....

This is true. I work at Best Buy and I bought a end of life 2009 macbook pro15" about a month ago for $879. Now understand this.. this was not open box or a return. It was just a macbook that never sold and the apple rep told us to drop the prices on them majorly. I bought it and opened it up and found an ilife 11 disc sitting in the box. This box was factory sealed so I am not sure how it got in there. The cd package said "ilife drop in cd"

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
While I was out Christmas shopping I went into Best Buy for a little while. I could not help but listen to their young employee explaining to a father and son why the Samsung tablet was vastly superior to the iPad, and how with the Apple product you are basically just buying a brand name. God, how I hate that store.

That may be true at some best buys.. I work at one and are store is pretty good. Most are educated and know quite a bit. However the store 10 miles away is absolutely terrible.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

If people go into a BIG store and haven't done their research FIRST, then they get what they get. The information is out there. Nobody should buy a computer, etc. without reading reviews, etc. and then complain about it later.

The days of personalized service from a knowledgeable salesperson are over. I do not need to be SPOONFED information. There is far more information available to the average consumer than ever before.

The American public wants low prices and sales. One of the things that is affected by low prices is employee wages. Long ago, employees were able to live on a retail store wages, and there was an incentive to stay and learn.

There is no longer an incentive for employees in retail to stay...therefore, the public gets what they get. Short-term employees who have no incentive to learn their "area."

The information is there. Anybody who simply goes into a Best Buy store, Frys Store, Microcenter, etc. and THINKS they are going to get expert assistance from the sales staff is living in Dreamland. This is NOT the fault of the store...it is just the way things are now.

Personally, I have had GREAT service from Best Buy, Frys, etc...but I know what I want before I go in there because I have bothered to do the research. Is it too much to ask for somebody to research a bit before plonking down $1000 plus for a piece of electronics?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.