Best buy has hundreds left in my area

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Laserawesome, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Laserawesome macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Im at a best buy right now south of Boston and they literally have hundreds of new iPads in stock. All sizes, types and colors. I'm here just looking at cases, but you can even still reserve one here, then come back later to purchase. Looks like its a buyers market this time around!

2. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Same thing here on the west coast. I just got back from the BB in Mission Viejo, CA. The store is empty, save for the stacks of iPads.

3. al1cre macrumors member

I walked into the Best Buy about an hour ago. They had plenty of each model and there wasn't even a line. I was surprised as I walked out with my 64 GB WiFi in less than 10 minutes. It looked like BB ramped up expecting a much bigger crowd and a lot of staff was just standing around. I assume a lot of people that were expecting long lines pre-ordered online instead.

4. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Just came from my local BB here in Michigan after grabbing a case for my ipad, and there was no line whatsoever. And they had plenty in the cages. I really don't think the general public was as crazy over the update as the forums and techies. So many people just bought ipad 2's. It's not enough of an change to make them upgrade so quickly.

5. WLS macrumors 65816

Line was only about 30 people at 8am here in Wisconsin. By 10:30am everybody waiting had their iPads..
    To be fair last year's lines were because of no preorders, this year Apple allowed that and allowed for extra stock at it's own and larger reseller's stores. I think also the time of day was a factor - early morning on Friday most people had jobs to go to. It is easier to take off on an early afternoon on Friday than not show up most of the morning. I think those who were waiting overnight got caught in a buying hysteria. It will be interesting if stock lasts through the day.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

My Best Buy is out of 32GBs weirdly. You'd think the 16GBs would have sold out first. From the sounds of it, doesn't seem as if they got too many. But then again, I don't live in a very densely populated area

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I had bought one at wal-mart, but got the model I preferred (32, ripoff that it is) at Bestbuy past noon and they had another 30 or so left.

Returned the other one to wal-mart.

I knew there would be better supply this year and thought anyone who got there half a hour early or so would at least be able to get one of some kind, but didn't expect this much of a surplus. Would be interesting to know how many were preordered.

Of course many areas are probably still going to be sold out at some point today at least. My best buy certainly will, and wal-mart only got 10.

8. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

You should see the Apple Store in my area. Tons left when I walked in at 11:00am to buy one. No line at all either.

9. Built macrumors 68020

I just posted in another thread about my VERY positive Best Buy experience. The store from which I purchased my 64GB ATT in Black was the Best Buy in Inglewood, California. There were probably about 30 people in line ahead of me...and it appeared that the store had a HUGE inventory. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

The staff at this store...and at the Manhattan Beach store...were EXTREMELY organized and prepared.

The Manhattan Beach store (the first one I went to) did not receive any 64GB ATT in Black...but the very nice Best Buy salesperson asked me immediately when I joined the line which one I wanted. She checked immediately and found out that the store had not received the one I wanted...so I didn't waste any time...

Kudos to Best Buy.

10. jazzmanmonty macrumors newbie

I preordered two white 16gb wifis for my girl and i. changed my mind and wanted 32gb wifis. so went to walmart last night where they had 10 (5 black 16gb wifi and 5 64gb att white) since they didn't have what i wanted, and figuring since i'm gonna try to sell the other two for a little profit like $50 each, i might as well pick up two more.

So i posted them all on CL, woke up, no calls or emails. called every best buy and apple store around chicago, they are all still fully stocked.

FML apple!

i always hear of people making some cash on reselling apple stuff cuz everything would sell out so quick, and i figured in the moment i'd jump on the bandwagon and make a little side cash to cover baby diapers lol, but NO! Apple over prepared for this launch! thanks apple.

p.s. i have two ipads sitting here for return that i bought at midnight and the preorder ones haven't even been delivered yet. oh the irony. so i sit here and stare at these boxes and i can't even play with one yet. boo. maybe i should see if my girl feeling frisky and kill some time lol

11. WLS macrumors 65816

I got a 32GB this time around too. There wasn't really a lot of advertising about the new iPad, just reviews. I think the people pre-ordering and buying this morning were more experienced users who were upgrading. New users will be hitting the stores to get 16GB's this week end.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It may be a bit premature to predict, but perhaps iPad sales are leveling off or even slowing somewhat.

It had to happen sooner or later. What goes up, comes down. :)

13. zpilot macrumors member

why Apple didn't come out with an upgraded CPU beats me...

14. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I don't know if my local Best Buy (Schaumburg, IL) has hundreds, but I walked in during my lunch break, and it seemed like they had plenty in stock. I was able to get my choice of iPad. There were 3 other people who got theirs, too.

15. skedssays macrumors newbie

Thanks for the report. Am in the city at work now, but need to pick up one after work.

16. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I just visited my local Apple store to look at it, and there was no line, and they said that they had plenty of stock left, of all models.

I played around with the demo model for about 15 minutes, looking at photos, videos, web browsing, etc, and decided the screen was very nice, but not enough to justify replacing my current iPad, so I didn't get one.

17. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

same in Colorado. Lots of stock at Apple, BB, At&t and Verizon... No need to pay a scalped premium.

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Once these things get out in the wild and people actually see the screen, I think you will see sales pickup tremendously.

----------

It didn't need one?

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

3:00 EST here, just walked into my local Target and still in stock in some sizes, primarily 16/32 wifi versions.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. I suspect they may be thin on the ground by late Sunday as people who couldn't go this morning or today get out to stores.

Clearly Apple had a TON of initial stock ready.

The question will be what happens in the next couple weeks in terms of demand vs. resupply.

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Same thing here in BB in Union NJ. Plenty and no lines.

22. jvdrummer182 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Was Best buy selling the Zagg invisible shield HD for the iPad?

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Fear not. Apple sold millions probably. Don't forget, you couldn't pre-order an iPad 2.

24. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

While I didn't do an inventory, my Best Buy in the Clearwater FL area seem to have plenty around lunch time.

Who can predict?

I could have sworn the iPad 2 would get this response but it sold out like crazy the first day.

25. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

Yes they had plenty.