Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stinkypalm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Best Buy selling a IPad 3 by telling customer it's the latest one. Shall I interrupt the sale lol

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
You should never interrupt someone at work even if they are wrong. Imagine someone coming to your place of business and interfering with your daily tasks. I'm sure if they lie to customers it will bite them sooner or later.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Trying to sell the customer one of their Best Buy warranties as well I'm sure. Maybe a $75 visit from the Geek Squad to get it up and running.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
You should never interrupt someone at work even if they are wrong. Imagine someone coming to your place of business and interfering with your daily tasks. I'm sure if they lie to customers it will bite them sooner or later.

I do it all the time.
As a physician, if I see a resident doing some BS, I interrupt immediately. I take that same attitude with me to the world. If I see someone about to buy something more expensive when they can go next door and buy it for less, I speak up.

It seems like people aren't as vocal as they used to be, and not as helpful to their fellow neighbors.

Stinkypalm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Trying to sell the customer one of their Best Buy warranties as well I'm sure. Maybe a $75 visit from the Geek Squad to get it up and running.
They did and the magical cover to go with it. :D

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
The 4 isn't even available yet, so technically the Best Buy employee isn't wrong.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Best Buy selling a IPad 3 by telling customer it's the latest one. Shall I interrupt the sale lol

I think you should mind your own business.

I do it all the time.
As a physician, if I see a resident doing some BS, I interrupt immediately. I take that same attitude with me to the world. If I see someone about to buy something more expensive when they can go next door and buy it for less, I speak up.
It seems like people aren't as vocal as they used to be, and not as helpful to their fellow neighbors.
You can't possibly believe that these two examples are equal. You or I stepping in when we see a resident doing something protects us (well not me as I'm military but a civilian Dr.) from litigation. You being senior medical staff will most likely be sitting in front of the man as soon as they hear you were on duty while Joe Blow resident was jacking up little Susie's X issue. Why go after the resident when they can go after you?

As far as being vocal to help their fellow neighbor I feel the exact opposite. I feel to many people get involved in their neighbors business when they should be worrying about their own.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

I love doing that. Basically, I like having fun.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Yep. He could, however, walk up to the salesman and say something like: "I couldn't help but hear that you are saying the iPad 3 is the latest iPad from Apple. I thought I heard on the news Apple is releasing an iPad 4 next week, isn't that correct?"

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004

Very, very sad.

I bet you sent many more emails than have actual conversations with people too. People are looking for so many excuses to be completely ignorant, insular, and stay in their own little safe worlds. They don't even say hello when you run into them on the street.

People have lost the balls to stand up when something is wrong. "It doesn't effect me, I mind my own business."

Very, very sad.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Personally I wouldn't be to worried about being rude to the BB salesman if your intention is to look out for the best interest of a fellow shopper. The justification that BB is not being deceptive in selling the 3rd gen as the latest iPad because the 4th hasn't shipped yet is lame. If you walked into an Apple store and asked for the latest iPad they would tell you the latest iPad is not shipping yet. Probably just be easier to talk them out of shopping at Best Buy in the first place.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
You should have interrupted... iPad 3 is NOT the latest one as it is no longer for sale by Apple themselves. If the customer thought they were buying the iPad 4 then the store is misleading them in selling them an iPad 3. I hope this store has a good return policy.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
....so we have proof of Doctor's God patronizing attitude.:D

The fact that you chose to focus on my profession in life vs the bigger picture is telling.
Beneficence does not stop as I leave motion-sensored doors of my place of work - neither does it stop for a fireman when he leaves his red fire-engine or a police officer when he takes off his uniform. Your missing the bigger picture of standing up for what is right and helping your neighbor. If you know a place that can save a person some money - why not say something to help them save a dollar? Or if you see someone about to be taken, why not warn them? Are they not deserving of what you have to say?
In this situation I feel it would be totally appropriate to say "Hey, I don't know if you know this but the iPad 4 was just released last week, you can actually buy the iPad 3 for a discount from Apple or you can buy the iPad 4 on November 2nd". The salesperson should have been that transparent from the beginning.

I believe we have a responsibility (some of us legally) to help our fellow neighbor.

And Julien, all that patronizing, superiority bit, it's not necessary. Not in the least. But if you feel inferior, which you shouldn't, there's nothing I can do on my end to help mitigate your feelings. I work hard everyday, just like you. I bleed red, just like you. The only difference between us is how we choose to respond to life.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY

You can't possibly believe that these two examples are equal. You or I stepping in when we see a resident doing something protects us (well not me as I'm military but a civilian Dr.) from litigation. You being senior medical staff will most likely be sitting in front of the man as soon as they hear you were on duty while Joe Blow resident was jacking up little Susie's X issue. Why go after the resident when they can go after you?

As far as being vocal to help their fellow neighbor I feel the exact opposite. I feel to many people get involved in their neighbors business when they should be worrying about their own.

What differentiates the two examples is consequences and legal responsibility. The thread that connects them and the vantage point that I choose to extrapolate from is beneficence.
While I will agree that the mis-steps of a resident may lead to adverse patient outcomes that vary along the spectrum of mild to severe, a sales employees inappropriate actions may not lead to the same "immediate" adverse consumer outcomes. However, just because that dichotomy exists does not mean we should turn a blind eye and let it occur.

I'm not saying consumers should be active participants in "accountability patrol" (we are to some extend - by speaking with our $$$), by actively seeking out injustices. It's more subtle. If you see it - say something. Inform when/where applicable and convenient. We don't need people running around like the "Price-Line Negotiator" seeking to help everyone save money.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
If you interrupt the sale, Best Buy can ask you to leave the store and can bar you from coming back.

WOW. That makes it so not worth the risk for the safety of your own little world, doesn't it. Best Buy isn't going to throw you out like Ice Tray on the Fresh Prince for correcting a salesman! :rolleyes:

OMG. excuses, excuses, excuses... for not being helping out your fellow man.

Very, very sad.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
WOW. That makes it so not worth the risk for the safety of your own little world, doesn't it. Best Buy isn't going to throw you out like Ice Tray on the Fresh Prince for correcting a salesman! :rolleyes:

OMG. excuses, excuses, excuses... for not being helping out your fellow man.

Very, very sad.

there have actually been cases of this happening... Personally I never go into Best Buy, so it's a moot point for me.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
You could have just interrupted by saying "Wow you have the iPad 4, Can I have one too!?"

This way, you're not stepping on anyone's toes, if the guy isn't complete scum he'd come clean about it and the other consumer would have been informed.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Blame apple for early iPad releases and stupid naming such as the new iPad instead of iPad 3 or iPad 4. Of course I'm sure apple meant to do this so that the average consumer wouldn't know the difference when apple removed the new ipad from their product line.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Can you walk in and by the 4? Until you can, the 3 is the latest.

Best Buy employee here, that might be the case. When the 4 was announced the same day I let customers know about the change and let them make the decision if they wanted to wait for it or not. All of my customers didn't care, which shows you they're not like us here on MR, they just want an iPad.

Yes we do, it's our job. Our protection plan is full accidental same day swap out. You get a brand new iPad in the box if anything accidental happens. I bought it for my 2 and they gave me an iPad 3. I tell them my story and if they don't want the protection it's no problem. I don't push it. I'd rather them have a better experience buying the iPad. This is the way I conduct myself. I know best buy is known for pushy salesman, but I can only account for myself.

And setup is absolutely FREE. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.