Best Buy iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bulldog Dave, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

I bought a new iphone7 jet black from Best Buy 256 gig for 150.00 dollars off. On sale great price. On phone its listed as model MN8W2LL/A . Can some one tell me if this is a1660 or a1661 or a1778 or a1784? The reason I ask is from what I read on apples web site is a1660 an 61 when unlocked can be used on all carriers but 78and 84 can't. Thanks

2. noobinator macrumors 601

A1661

it should say on the back of the phone and on the box (I think)

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If no where else it is under setting, general and then about.

4. jetsam macrumors 6502

If you Google on the Model number, you'll see it comes up as a Verizon iPhone 7 (not Plus) Jet Black 256 GB. This is the A1660 - the model of choice with the Qualcomm modem.

5. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

Just did a little research and its a A1660. Buying from Best Buy on ATT its a A1660 wich means it has both radios in it. Guess I lucked out on that one. This number I can't find on phone or box. Thanks for your reply.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    Hey thanks jetsam. That's what I did.

6. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

If you're not with Verizon and haven't used it yet, go back to Best Buy and have them use a Verizon sim on first boot up, and it will be forever unlocked.

7. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

To late already activated on att didn't realize what I had. Once it's paid for on next I'll get it unlocked.oh well lesson learned.

8. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know if this Verizon phone A1660 is locked to att after it was activated with att sim. I just checked thier unlock page and entered my iMei number and it says not thier phone.so not locked to att? Don't have have another sim to try it.

9. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Yeah, unfortunately it will be locked to ATT. If you have access to another sim give it a try. But it's highly unlikely to work.

10. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

I checked att unlock my iPhone site and it says this phone is not an att phone. Called them about it and they said the same thing a1660 is not there's so must not be locked. Check with another sim to find out for sure. Anybody ever run into this? This iPhone shipped from Best Buy without a SIM card so I used card from my 6s to activate it.

11. jetsam macrumors 6502

How long ago did you activate the phone with your AT&T SIM card? They may just be running slow in getting the phone listed as locked to their network.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try to return it and activate it with a verizon sim initially.
    They have a 2 week return policy.
    Yes, its locked to AT&T now and AT&T is the only one that can submit an unlock request to Apple to have it unlocked.

13. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

I've had this phone almost two weeks. Ordered it on line from Best Buy 150.00 off got it for 699.00 plus tax 256 gig not bad. Don't know if they will do exchange in store.
    Don't think att can do unlock claim it's not theirs.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's locked to them so they sure can submit an unlock for it.

15. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

Just checked with apple customer service and they said the a1660 is a word phone factory unlocked and it's not going to be relocked very easily. They told me to try another carriers sim it but it should still be unlocked. Asked me about the color don't know what that would have to do with anything.Have a T-Mobile sim on the way. Will find out for sure. I must have got lucky because they said that's not the model I should have gotten because I upgraded on att next. They seemed baffled.Att unlock site still says phone not there equipment so apple says that's because it a world phone.will find out when I try another sim.

16. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

To be honest, they don't have a clue. 2 ways to check for sure. Another sim from another carrier, or back it up and perform a restore through iTunes. If it's unlocked it will notify you, something to the effect of "Congratulations your phone is now unlocked".

17. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

Yea waiting on a sim. All my friends have att so can't borrow one. Might try back up and restore.then try sim when I get it. Thanks to everyone for the advice.will let you guys know how it turns out.

18. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

just insert the new sim and it will automatically take you to the activate screen. No need to restore.

19. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

You could always swing by a Best Buy store and ask them to pop in a sim real quick just to see if it's unlocked. It doesn't have to be an active sim.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You don't know anyone that has a cellphone that's not on AT&T?
    Just takes one second to pop in their sim to test it.
    But it's not unlocked for sure.

21. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

Just put a simply mobile sim in A1660 and it took me to the setup screen so it's unlocked. Haven't tried back up and restore yet. But it is unlocked.So lady at apple was right,totally unlock,can't be relocked.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    Simple Mobile runs off Tmobile's network so that means you're good :)
    Did you get passed the setup/activation screen?

23. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member

No didn't go that far was afraid I would mess something up.9
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    Hey I'm an old guy love this stuff but not real sure of myself. You guys. Have more savvy than me.

24. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Age is just a number. I'm almost 50.

25. Bulldog Dave thread starter macrumors member