Best Buy Mac Mini Followup

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Following last week's rumors that Best Buy would start selling Mac Mini's in retail locations, several readers note that they have seen Mac Minis for sale at local Best Buy locations.

This news follows analyst notes released today confirming the same.

In addition, Merrill Lynch analyst adds that Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) "should ship by the end of April".

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
Macrumors said:
Following last week's rumors that Best Buy would start selling Mac Mini's in retail locations, several readers note that they have seen Mac Minis for sale at local Best Buy locations.

This news follows analyst notes released today confirming the same.

In addition, Merrill Lynch analyst adds that Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) "should ship by the end of April".
Mac Mini is a definite boon for Apple :)

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
Macrumors said:
I hope they're not at floor level behind a glass case like the iPods (or at least like the iPods were. I no longer live near a Best Buy so I don't know if things have changed).

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
They are available at the Best Buy in Denton, TX. they are running 10.3.7 as their OS and have been there sicne Friday.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
im guessing that they will be along with most of the higher priced HD and routers, they are too small to have out with the notebooks and PC's

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I haven't seen any minis around here either. I think BestBuy is a positive venue for Apple to distribute the mini though. It could help win over some pc users.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
polyesterlester said:
I hope they're not at floor level behind a glass case like the iPods.
Exactly. You have to crawl on your knees practically to see the iPods--it's NOT a display case, just a deep shelf with locked glass doors and no lights OR signs, located on the floor UNDER a real lighted display of other products! And the iPod boxes (no units out of the box) are shoved to the back. You'd think it was just storage for employee supplies or something, and not even realize they HAVE iPods except for the price tags (the only things visible).

I've had good experiences at CompUSA (real Apple staff), but not at Best Buy.

I realize the Mini is a unique case, and I hope Apple has a way to make this work. If Best Buy manages to sell iPods despite keeping them hidden, then maybe they can sell Minis...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
my local best buy has changed their iPod display so that all their MP3 players are locked on a table similar to the digital camera display, a bit more effective

i havent seen any minis, but ill be sure to check it out the next time i go, wonder if this means that Apple Software will be available at Best Buys too?

BlackLilyNinja

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2004
saw one yesterday in fact...(sunday the 3rd)..

it was the firs time I saw one in person. Sexy. I love my D2.0 but I want a mini. Its just so sexy.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Called the Seattle Best Buy. I learned they have 6 on their way, that will make it out on the floor Wednesday or Friday.

I also learned that they're fairly incompetent there at Best Buy, based on how many times I had to be put on hold for them to figure it out.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I wonder how the apple-best buy relationship will turn out this year.

i remember my friend telling me about how they used to sell Apple Computers at his best buy... but the display model was shoved all the way into the back corner of the computer area, usually with a forklift with crates parked in front of it.

I think my local best buy treats the iPod a little better than what im hearing from other places. at my best buy, the iPod display case is the first thing you see if you walk to the left, with accessories and everything.

iPoster

macrumors regular
nagromme said:
Exactly. You have to crawl on your knees practically to see the iPods--it's NOT a display case, just a deep shelf with locked glass doors and no lights OR signs, located on the floor UNDER a real lighted display of other products! And the iPod boxes (no units out of the box) are shoved to the back. You'd think it was just storage for employee supplies or something, and not even realize they HAVE iPods except for the price tags (the only things visible).

I've had good experiences at CompUSA (real Apple staff), but not at Best Buy.

I realize the Mini is a unique case, and I hope Apple has a way to make this work. If Best Buy manages to sell iPods despite keeping them hidden, then maybe they can sell Minis...
The Best Buy I go to has their iPods out in the open, but by the cell phone and PDA section.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
JzzTrump22 said:
I've told all my friends about the mac mini and now they all want one. I think apple should start paying me commission.
And Honda should give me commission for telling people to buy Civics.. :p Come on now.. :rolleyes:

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
I saw one on display at a Best Buy last week. This is in Alberta, Canada. It was out in the open in the "Mac" section. I don't believe it was hooked up to a monitor.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I haven't been to Best Buy in a while. If the reports are indeed correct, this will surely help Apple sell more Mac minis, which is good news for Apple.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
It seems to me the real news here is confirmation that Tiger should be shipping by month's end.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
daveL said:
It seems to me the real news here is confirmation that Tiger should be shipping by month's end.
I didn't consider that when I posted - probably because Tiger was only mentioned in passing. The release of Tiger combined with the Mac mini will boost Apple considerably, I'd think.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
iPoster said:
The Best Buy I go to has their iPods out in the open, but by the cell phone and PDA section.
Ditto. I played with an iPod Photo for awhile after they came out, but didn't feel the need to upgrade (yet). Like the other posters, I wonder where they will put them? I imagine a lot of computer-illiterate people, coming in to buy their first one, will get confused when they see the long row of Windows XP....and then the lonely, beautiful mac.

lollipop-harold

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
Scumerset/UK
Am i right in thinking that other retail shops in the u.s do not stock ipods.. is this best buy the first chain in america to stock ipods!? In england ipods have been avaliable from virgin megastores for allmost a year now :confused:
weird. s'all good.​

Rezon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
Washington, DC
lollipop-harold said:
Am i right in thinking that other retail shops in the u.s do not stock ipods.. is this best buy the first chain in america to stock ipods!? In england ipods have been avaliable from virgin megastores for allmost a year now :confused:
weird. s'all good.​
Nope, they've been sold at CompUSA for years now.

zigziggityzoo

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
lollipop-harold said:
weird. s'all good.​
we have them at Virgin Megastores too.