Best Buy Open Box... SCORE!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eddiexhart, Apr 25, 2015.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

So yesterday I sold my 2013 27-inch iMac on craigslist. Yes.. I totally did. Only because as of last year, I work part time, then go to school at night, leaving my poor iMac neglected for weeks and weeks at a time so a MacBook was definitely needed.
    After practically giving up on searching for stock of rMB in the wild, I did one final search on Best Buy Open Box and behold.. All colors or the rMB! I called most of the Best Buys here in the San Fernando Valley but shockingly enough I was able to put a 1.1 Space Gray MacBook on hold. Went and picked it up and I've been using it for about 6 hours..

Pros:
    Battery life is awesome!
    Screen quality is superb
    Weight is super light, I can't believe how light this baby is!
    The keyboard.. it took a little bit to get use to because I kept hitting different buttons but I adjusted very quickly. Love the noise it makes when typing!
    The trackpad is freakin awesome. Love force click!
    The speakers are surprisingly really good!

Cons:
    When I first booted it was a little slow, and did beach ball for a few seconds but caught up right after. After a few hours of use, I haven't gotten any lag...yet.
    I haven't really put it through anything extreme, just mainly been using Spotify in the background, while browsing the web, emailing, messaging.. Thats about it today, we'll see how it does on work days.

I gotta say, this is an excellent product! It was open box but it was certified with no scratches or anything and was priced at $1,219.99!

2. tecnho macrumors 6502

Can movers discounts be applied to open box purchases? Because if not you would presumably get it cheaper new

3. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Yes

4. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

I thought the Movers coupon discount couldn't be used on Apple products.

5. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Yes they can a lot of people have done it youd just not allowed to stack certain discounts

6. tecnho macrumors 6502

In that case, 1098 for an open box base model would be a pretty good deal. Even more so if you find a way to combine with the edu- though I hear that using both is hit or miss.

7. whatos macrumors 6502a

Respectfully that's not much of a discount for the risk.

I don't care what they "certify" there's a lot of things that it could have been subject to. It's pretty unusual for a customer to return a perfectly good Mac Laptop of any model.
    I'd be concerned. Especially being so thin and vulnerable. A laptop that's not easily repaired if at all. Seems suspicious.

How did you decide to take the risk?

8. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Deng! If I knew I could, I would have not gotten this open box and saved even more! Totally returning this tomorrow!

9. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

personally if you're happy with it i'd keep it.

any potential savings vs. playing the swap game not worth it in my opinion

10. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

I mean I am pretty happy with it. But I've never bought a "Certified" open box before. I just assumed that since the MacBook hadn't been out for that long, that much couldn't be wrong with it besides someone not being happy with it.
    Now I'm in doubt of myself.. LOL

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I think you'll be fine. Plus its still covered under warranty so if there are any problems, you'll be taken care of.

12. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Dude you'll be fine. As said the Apple 1 year warranty. Someone probably returned it via a impulse buy. As far as the open box WITH 10% movers. My best but only allows the 10% on new not open box. Since the open box is already discounted 10%.

13. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

No its not unusual at all, have you seen the amount of people doing just that on these forums? The original warranty is still intact, so worst case you get a brand new replacement?

14. whatos macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification, that's good to know...:)

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I returned two MacBooks to best buy. They were flawless in every way.

16. whatos macrumors 6502a

So I guess that does happen. It must be my admitted long time addiction to wonderful Mac Laptops that can't fathom returning one...:)

17. newellj macrumors 601

There are several reasons someone might return a perfectly good rMB, and in any case, as others have said, you are covered by Apple's warranty.

18. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Bb

I have read on this forum about people ordering two MBs because they were not sure which color they liked best. They returned the one they didn't like.

19. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I was able to pick one up at a local Best Buy as certified open box as well, and the edu coupon did not work for me.

20. tecnho macrumors 6502

Did you try the movers discount? Although now some are saying that it can't be used with open box so I really don't know anymore.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They may not be except it in store with open box, but online it works. You can search open box online.

22. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Great deal! I shall try one at some point. That's the sort of deal i would look for over the too high new price. :cool:

23. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

plus you gotta factor in availability. its gonna be hard to find these things for a little bit i would imagine while supply catches up

24. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

you can’t use edu on an open box

25. eddiexhart thread starter macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Did you have any issues with yours?