Best Buy Or Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boston44, Jun 17, 2009.

1. boston44 macrumors 6502

So I have options, as I am buying a base 2.26 GHz apple macbook Pro 13 inch today. I can go to Best Buy and buy it full price at $1,199, and instantly get the free iTouch. I'm out the door for just under $1,300. Or, I can go to the apple store, get the iTouch and printer, and pay $1,545 today and wait 4-6 weeks for my rebate. In the end after rebates were given, I pay about $1,215. Mainly, I'd pay Best Buy $85 more to not have to deal with rebates and lose on the printer. But, I would be done with it today as well. What do you guys think I should do? Thanks for any tips/advice.

2. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Purchase it through Apple. Unless of course you can convince Best Buy to give you the iPod and the Educational Discount as well, which I had no luck of doing.

$85.00 can go a long way :)

That's like a case right there plus other stuff :)

3. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I thought Best Buy wasn't offering the free iPod with purchase of a Mac?

4. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

They do, but they dont offer both educational discount and the free iPod. Though it depends on the manager. I have heard some people getting both ... so yea depends on the store.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Apple store, all the way.

If you're really, really hurting for the rebate money right freakin' now, you probably don't need to spend that much money on a computer right now.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Go to the Apple Store. There is no guarantee that Best Buy will actually match the free iPod as it's a case-by-case basis and most the time it has required some haggling with manager. Also, you can get that free printer and always sell it to help make up the difference.

7. Nasty Roo macrumors member

I would most definitely say go to the Apple Store. The rebates are not even an issue, the iPod touch rebate is filled out electronically and you typically get it in 1-2 weeks, unlike many rebates that take months to receive. I'm not exactly sure about the printer rebate though, maybe someone else has information on that.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Apple Rebates are super fast. I got my printer rebate back in about 2-3 weeks. I honestly almost threw it out since I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Of course, haggling with Best Buy is fun. Especially when their profits are down 15% according to a recent report :)

9. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haggled 4 different managers today and most of them gave me the Touch but no education discount, or the other way around. One didn't give me anything, so each store varies. I think I'm going with apple.com. Hopefully the rebates will be fast.

10. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Well it's not significant but you can get reward zone $ from BestBuy. That should help offset some sales tax. If I remember correctly it was equivalent to $5 reward for every $250.

11. Lipstick macrumors member

Buy from the Apple store, that way, you'll have $85 leftover for accessories. ;)

12. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Going with Apple

Thanks guys, I'm actually going with apple.com simply because 1. I want to upgrade the hard drive to 250 GB, and 2. They don't have the printer I want in stock at the apple store. Can't wait - Touch ships in 24 hours, Macbook in 1-3 days, printer like a week later but who cares about that. :)

13. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I remember the days when the BB reward program was something like $5 per $100... I even got a free game ($20 max) on my birthday!

Now it's completely worthless. With the prices you pay at Bestbuy, you'll easily save more money shopping at Amazon or other online venues.

14. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, I always buy online nowadays. Unless I need it instantly, you can get much better deals on eBay, amazon, any online site. Most offer free shipping so it's just easier.

15. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I sort of agree. I really don't shop at BestBuy either but it's nice to simply return it to a store vs. shipping/packing/waiting for refund.

16. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Definitely Apple Store. I bought my first Macbook from Best Buy because I had some store credit. Will never do it again.

17. ordo1980 macrumors member

This is an issue I've been wrestling with myself. Today, coincidentally, I called a few different bestbuys just to get a broad survey of opinions. The answers I got were varied. Some said no deal at all to be made. One store said, "yeah man, I'll match any deal, you can have a free ipod, no problem." Another one had a more complex deal... it was basically I get the student price on the mbp, so 1099 (for the one I want), and any ipod. Then they would knock off $75 for each the ipod and the computer. Then, they would issue me a gift card for $150. So say I want ipod nano 16 (which I do), my math would work this way... 1100 (computer) + 200 (ipod) - 75 - 75 = 1150 + tax I'd have to pay. Then, I would get a best buy giftcard for $150. This, for me, is actually better than the apple deal. Granted, I only am getting $150 refunded in total for that ipod, but it's instantly refunded. Added to that, I'm getting a giftcard for $150. I bought a hella sweet canon multifunction on clearance for $50 at best buy about a month ago (apple sells the same model for $150) btw, so no need for a free printer from apple. This is just as well for me because I'll be a law student this fall and I HAVE to buy a bunch of crap as it is. Ink... sleeve... wireless mouse... paper... microSD/SD cards... and on and on. So whereas with Apple my total discounts would be just the normal $100 off + 200 back for ipod, with best buy my total discounts are the normal $100 off + 150 instant rebate + 150 giftcard (which again is awesome since I need way more stuff anyways, and had i gone through apple I just would have used that 200 for the same stuff). So with apple my total rebates are 300, and with bb my total rebates are 400.

Moral of the story I guess is to go see them in person, or else call. If you call, do NOT speak to the rep who answers. That person won't know jack about anything. What's worse is if you ask them to transfer you to someone in computers, they won't do that, and they instead will just ask you for the question and then they will try to answer you. Don't bother with this, it results in terrible customer service. You'll end up asking something, they'll go find out, answer you, or worse blow you off. So don't do that... After calling the first two stores I learned to do the following... simply ask to be transferred to the mobile phone kiosk (the standard rep who will answer as a general rule at least knows nothing about the phones), ask the mobile phone guy a lame question (I asked the cost of the blackberry curve with verizon on a 2-year upgrade)... get your answer and politely ask the associate to transfer you to someone in computers. That's the way I was successful in getting to speak to knowledgeable people in regards to this issue. Worked every time. So if a best buy is not nearby, just try that out and you should get some answers. The moral of the story, though, is that most best buys are aware of the apple promotion, most of them will have some sort of policy in place to compete with apple, most will admit that they've received many phone calls about the issue, so if you speak to someone in computers, they should be able to communicate the policy quite easily. Good luck.

PS: In case some of you were wondering, best buy was doing an 18-month 0 financing promo, they no longer offer that. Apple is doing a 12-month 0 promo. However, I also asked best buy about that special, and most admitted to not knowing why it was taken off, but it is widely believed at least amongst the associates there that the special will come back soon, especially for the back to school crowd. One associate went so far as to say it was stupid to have taken it off. Another associate wasn't even aware it had been taken off, but he expressed surprise and said he would expect that special to return soon. And another associate said the return of that special was imminent. So if one of you guys are interested that, there is your answer. School won't start until August. And these specials just will get more special, so no need to panic. I've been quietly waiting for a long time now. I wanted to buy a month before wwdc, but i figured updates would be made then. I've wanted to buy since wwdc, but i figured specials would just get better, so no need to jump ship on a big purchase that i don't technically need for another 2 months. Apple's 12-month 0 special is going nowhere. And if best buy gets back the 18-month deal, then I'll be jumping on that. At the worst, however, I'll get 12 months. Warning to any who do this... if you go that route, MAKE SURE you pay it off within the time period allotted for the 0 interest special. I've never personally had problems with those types of specials, but i'm young and single so im fairly drama free with money, so paying out an extra 100/month on something isn't a big deal. And it's more convenient for me, personally, than shelling out $1300 at once, especially when I have a lot more stuff I need to buy for school. Just don't want everyone going out spending more than they can afford. At bottom it's debt, but if played right, it's same as cash, and will do nothing but boost your credit score even higher! Just be responsible!!!

18. futureswitcher macrumors member

futureswitcher

buy from the apple store and send me the $85, if you don't want it. :D

19. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

20. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

The timeframes are exaggerated, I think. Mine were exactly the same, and all 3 shipped the next day (separately).

21. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bought it!

I just bought the 2.26 MBP at Best Buy. Now, before you jump to conclusions, I haggled hard. THey gave me the iPod touch, printer, and a $30 gift card for free. The manager didn't know what he was doing, he discounted the price of the mac by $229 and charged me for the iPod, in which I recieved a $30 gift card for purchasing. I could even return the iPOd and get my money back, since I *bought it*. All in all, I got the MBP, printer, and iPod touch for $1,300. More than apple by a bit, but it was an easy transaction. Thanks for the advice guys..

22. AppleiZac macrumors member

ya i agree or they just dont know their stock at all warehouses as when i called to authorize a card (whole dif story) i was told that the printer and i quote was "backordered of course and wouldnt b there until july 7th"..earlier (june 19th) the 1st thing to arrive out of my printer, ipod, and mbp BTO ...was the printer! lol (much to my dismay of course). now the ipod is on track for tomorro and the MBP is now wed instead of tues....i wish it all came in the opposite order..but what can u do?
    :apple: :cool:

23. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

OMFG. You got a f*cking deal. Sorry for the language. :(

24. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Bullets are your friend ...

eV

25. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

I have one question:
    Is it possible to get the Education $100 off and the iPod Touch deal together from an Apple Retail Store?
    Thanks in advance!