Best Buy or The Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarzan911, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Tarzan911 macrumors newbie

I am not eligible for a student discount and so I cannot get a free iPod or printer. Therefore if I went to the apple store I would pay the same price as I would pay in Best Buy without getting my Best Buy reward zone points. I have heard that laptops sent to Best Buy are of a lower quality than ones supplied directly from the manufacturer (don't know how much truth there is to that though.) So are there any benefits to buying from the apple store over best buy?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You should get yours from Amazon.com No tax, free shipping (unless you want it quicker) and you still get the same apple warranty. There usually $50-75 cheaper than buying at the apple store or best buy too! Good Luck

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is completely false. They're all made by Apple. No difference in quality, and all covered by the same warranty.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Go to best buy and collect the rewards points. Last year i bought my 3gs there and saved $50 because of my reward points and i plan on doing the same thing this year.

5. Tarzan911 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. landscapeman macrumors regular

I got mine on Amazon. Free Shipping, Cheap Price and No Tax.

7. Tarzan911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd probably get a hella lot of points for buying a mbp

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

May be using credit from Best Buy, or how close the store is, plus the points will be the difference.
    I always check on www.macmall.com for current sale offers.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter, it is Apples and Apples ;)

Go for the place that gives you the best deal. Personally, I would go for Amazon for the tax and slightly better price, plus, I get triple points on my amazon Visa card ;)

10. Mark.W macrumors member

Actually, neither are made Apple, but otherwise you are correct.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Have a Discover card? If so, order from the Apple store online through the Discover Card site. You get 6% total. The store has free shipping. You can also buy a refurb with the same discount to save even more.

The free printer offer (actually $100 rebate) applies even if you aren't a student and can be applied to purchases of a refurb. So if you need a printer you can, for instance get a refurb Macbook and printer for $705 plus whatever taxes apply. That's nearly a $400 savings over a new Macbook and printer.

(I just realized you are after a MacBook Pro. Of course, savings would be even higher in that case.)

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

As I mentioned above, it is Apples and Apples. However, regarding quality of computers there is a particle of truth to this which has nothing to do with Apple. Best Buy works with manufactures like HP, Sony, Toshiba...to made a particular configuration for them, like CPU, Hard drive speed size, graphics... They then order the same models for all their stores. This makes the configuration somewhat unique to Best Buy which may or may not be lower specs than similar models at other stores. This is why when you go to a manufactures site to do a built-to-order model that is often costs more than a similar specs computer at Best Buy. BTO takes time and costs more than ordering 10,000 of the same speced model

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Bought mine on MacMall, great price, cheap shipping, no tax, and excelent service... :)

14. apple.gr macrumors regular

You can allways pretend to be a student and get both the discount and the iPod. As I have read many have done this without any problem.

If you don't want to do this go with the Best Buy solution as it is a better deal.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I got mine from a Texan salesman (even though I live in New Zealand) for a discount price.

16. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

what will the points do for you anyway?
    i mean, would it give you at least 50 or whatever dollars you would save from amazon?

17. Xombie11 macrumors regular

You can still get an educational discount.

Just pick a random school from this list. They don't check -- that's in store.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Lol I said I was a high school student (and I am), but they didn't even check before giving me my education discount ;-) I suppose anyone can do it:D