Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I was told you preordered first so if we only get one of those, you get it. No first come, first served.

I will be checking today and tonight. They have not gotten any iphones yet. If I don't get the one I specifically ordered, no one will. :)

Brandermill533

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I got an email telling me my order will be ready for pick up on Friday, September 19. I am a newbie and on my Ipad right now. If I can figure out how to edit out personal information on a picture I took of my email, I will try to attach it. I would suspect others are getting emails as well.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I was told you preordered first so if we only get one of those, you get it. No first come, first served.

I will be checking today and tonight. They have not gotten any iphones yet. If I don't get the one I specifically ordered, no one will. :)

I just received an email saying my phone will be ready for pick up tomorrow!

I got the email myself too. I called my store and the guy confirmed that it's first come first served, even for those who have a preorder. Priority is given to those who preordered vs the walkins, but if they're sold out of the particular phone you want by the time they get to you, you're SOL, doesn't matter if you have a "preorder".

vabigpoppa

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
I got the email myself too. I called my store and the guy confirmed that it's first come first served, even for those who have a preorder. Priority is given to those who preordered vs the walkins, but if they're sold out of the particular phone you want by the time they get to you, you're SOL, doesn't matter if you have a "preorder".

thats messed up, it sounds like you have a shady best buy.

HuggyLowDown

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
I can tell you now that if you pre-ordered from Best Buy your phone is reserved for you. They will have set aside in the back with a sticker with your name on them. And yes, SOME Best Buys will have the 6 Plus tomorrow but very limited stock, like 3-5. However, some will get random drop shipments throughout the weekend with more.

Last edited:

abel73

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I got an email saying my 64gb 6 was available to pick up at Friday 8am. It also said if I didn't pick up by end of Saturday, my order would be cancelled. Around 7pm, my local best buy called me to setup an appt to pick up the phone. This is great because I can be at work all day and not have to wonder if my phone is being given away. Seems like some Best Buys have their stuff together better than others.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas

You're not guaranteed an iPhone on launch day bro. It's same if you preordered through a carrier or even Apple. A preorder is just you reserving your phone. It's just like how you have people who preorder through say...AT&T. Some are getting their phones today and some next week and others the week after that.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
You're not guaranteed an iPhone on launch day bro. It's same if you preordered through a carrier or even Apple. A preorder is just you reserving your phone. It's just like how you have people who preorder through say...AT&T. Some are getting their phones today and some next week and others the week after that.
Yeah I know there's no guarantee, but just wasn't sure what the point of a preorder is if it's still first come first served, which the rep on the phone told me.

I stopped by the store on my way back and talked directly to the rep at the mobile section. He told me the phones are most definitely reserved - they put a name to each phone, and that it will be held for 2 days.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah I know there's no guarantee, but just wasn't sure what the point of a preorder is if it's still first come first served, which the rep on the phone told me.

I stopped by the store on my way back and talked directly to the rep at the mobile section. He told me the phones are most definitely reserved - they put a name to each phone, and that it will be held for 2 days.

Held for 24 hours.

When you come to pick up your order:
• Go to the Best Buy Mobile department.
• Plan for 30 minutes when picking up your mobile device, because we'll activate it and make sure you walk out with it working.
• If the mobile device is attached to a plan, the person named on the contract must be present at pickup.

*Also important: We'll have your order waiting for you until Saturday, September 20, 2014. After that, we will cancel your order.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas

Yup, your phone is definitely attached to the phone you ordered. It'll be picked by the warehouse team and then put in the mobile department for you to pick up. Then us mobile associates activate everything for you lol. But yeah bro, hope everything works out and hope you enjoy your phone ##

zinman

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2012
Indy
Do they have the genuine Apple cases at Best Buy? All of them on the website (except the black leather ones) still say "coming soon".

vabigpoppa

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
hopefully i don't jinx myself but in addition to the 6, i pre-ordered the 4 & 5 from best buy and had zero issues.

3 for 3, no issues picking up my phone today. They let me trade in my 5 for $250 which was used to purchase my 6. Im in Manhattan fwiw.

benboy12

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
My Best Buy pre-order pick up experience went pretty well today. The whole process took almost 2 hours, but the majority of that was just waiting in line. I had a phone set aside with my name, so it wasn't a first come first serve like some had mentioned. The case selection wasn't that great, but they received a box of various Otterbox cases right as I was getting my phone activated.

Also, I upgraded my phone using Verizon's Edge plan. Typically, you have to pay the sales tax on the full price of the phone, which is between $50-60 in my area, when you pick up the phone. However, whatever system Best Buy used to calculate/accept payment of was done, so I didn't get charged the sales tax. I am not sure if this was an issue with all Best Buy stores, or just my local store. Either way, it was nice to save almost $60.

All in all, I was pleased with how things went and would definitely pre-order from my local Best Buy again.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
annoying process

Received email at 11:06 am Friday morning saying my phone's ready for pickup. I'm pretty busy at work. Receive phone call from unknown # (turns out to be Best Buy Mobile store I reserved from) at 12:57 pm about my iPhone 6. No info other than that.

I call them back. They basically want to set up an appointment (huh?) for me to pick up the phone. Conversation was along these lines:

them: When can you come?
me: I don't know, when I'm done w/work, sometime tonight.
them: When do you get off work?
me: I don't know. I'm busy w/work. It's whenever I get done w/work.
them: Can you make 8:45 pm?
me: I don't want to commit to a time. I'm busy w/work, it's whenever I get done w/work.
etc...
them: Ok, call us back when you get off work to see if we can set up an appointment.

WHY?!?! Anyway, I call them when I'm off work at ~8:20 pm (they close at 10 pm) asking if there are more appointments? Nope. They're all booked for the night blah blah... if they squeezed me in, they might be there until midnight.

They basically claim they make appointments to minimize wait time blah blah.

I drop by that mall anyway on the way home to eat and then stop by the store anyway at 9:40 pm. There are only a few customers in the store and some employees. Spoke to guy that I spoke to on phone. Conversation was like this:
him: sorry, we can't do any more tonight. We close in 20 minutes.
me: It takes more than 20 minutes to pick up a phone and go through whatever process?
him: yes

Sheesh! I'm just upgrading. I have no idea when I'll be free Saturday other than knowing I'll be busy from 6:30 am until sometime unknown in the morning or afternoon.

Annoying. I'm not in THAT big a rush to get my iPhone 6 and never realized I had to sign up for an appointment to pick up my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.