Best carrier for the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nostromo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'm getting an iPhone 5 as soon as it comes out.

It will be my first iPhone.

Currently I'm with Verizon and I'm very satisfied with theirs service (even though the are quite pricey).

But will they also be the best carrier for the iPhone?

Most usage will be social networking.

T-Mobile claims it has the largest 4 G network. What does this mean for the iPhone?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The next iPhone most likely won't support 4G, so that is N/A. If Verizon is good in your area, I'd say stick with them. There's no reason to switch.

Also, Verizon has the nation's largest 4G network. :cool:

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Gotta agree. The best carrier is the one that has the best coverage/speed in your area.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It all depends on which carrier has the strongest performance in your area. I just got lucky, both AT&T and Verizon are strong in my area. Some of the family is on each carrier. Our iPhones all perform the same.

5. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'm in the LA area, and Verizon is very good here.

I don't know about T-Mobile and AT&T. I checked out T-Mobile's pricing: it's about 20% below Verizon.

6. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

The next iPhone will support AT&T's "4G" aka HSPA+, but nobody knows about a T-Mobile version.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

In Los Angeles, you are better off with Verizon. Not sure about T-Mobile, other than the fact that iPhone 5 might not be sold on T-Mobile. Alternatively, you can buy an unlocked iPhone for ~$750 and use it on T-Mobile, but it won't support T-Mobile's 3G or 4G. That's for the iPhone 4 though. Maybe the iPhone 5 will support 1700mhz 3G.

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Can the Verizon iPhone handle talk and surf at the same time, yet? That would be a deal breaker for me if it can't.

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Currently the iPhone 4 on Verizon cannot, and no one knows if the iPhone 5 (or Verizon) will support this.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

In my area (Eastern Mass), Verizon is the superior carrier.

Has 4 G LTE availability - although that's not particularly relevant at this moment. Probably soon to come - may not be good news for battery life.

For what it's worth; in Consumer Reports' evaluation of carriers, AT&T always rates lowest (irrespective of location), and Verizon rates highest. (Caveat: Verizon tech support sucks eggs :mad: )

(It seems CR is held in low esteem here - IMO the information is useful :p)