Best carrier or iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finnschi, Jan 4, 2009.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

Hey, I currently have a iphone 3G locked by t-Mobile in germany, i will be in the USA for 2 weeks in march of 09 , and will be in Michigan(Dtroit Metro) and New york!

So what Prepaid Simcard should I get? I am thinking At&T is the best, Id like Unlimited Texting and maybe cheap data(is not that important). I will of course Unlock my iPhone before I go to the Us and A :D (Or can I use At&T without Unlocking :confused: )

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Have to unlock, but if you want cheap Texts...AT&T is not the way to go.

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Just called At&T and they told me that they won't allow prepaid to work with the 3G :confused: I also told them that its a Unlocked version from T-Assbile :apple: but apparently this guy just didn't know anything about How GSm works... I mean i can just plugin any simcard into any GSM phone, he told me that the iPhone imei number would give it away :confused: ???

AHHH THE US cell phone stuff is SOOO RETARTED!!! OMFG ! its so much more convinient over here xD

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yeah tha is what the guys from the Kuka factories tell me.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Don't listen to him, he's inknowledgeable. Yes that's not a word. You can just get a pre-paid SIM card with a phone for ~20$ (that includes a GSM phone). I don't think you can get unlimited text with Pre-Paid though. Might be wrong. When you're here, just go to Wal-Mart or something, and get one.

6. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what everyone is going to tell you xD that whole
    "lets not say how much 1 minute cost, but rather how much minuts you get a month" and all that ****... In germany its just like that=

Montly Fee = 10€ 1minute = 10cent 1sms= 15cent
    additional free minutes = 100 Free sms = 40 /month
    somethign like that...

or for prepaid = 1min = 10cent 1sms = 10cent no monthly bs

In the USA

Its montly 40$ with Unlimited national calling and roamng and whatver and only 10$ more for unlimited texting and you have rollover minutes and whatnot

Prepaid US(the worst)= Pay us 1$ a day so you can call for 25cent a minute and if you dont you pay 35cents a minutes and then whatever charges apply for whatever and you can only use our phones and AHHHHHHHH
    And then there also is CDMA and GSM , WTF do you need CDMA for? that system is even MORE confusing... :confused:

Lucky the iphone is GSM :D

PS: I wont even talk about verizon .... :eek:

7. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I was planning, last time I just got a cheap ass virgin mobile phone for like 30$ with a 10$ unlimited texting plan for a month!(CDMA) ... but Now... I want to use my iPhone, espacialy as a Guide when I am in New york.! so Data would be nice ... I saw lots of apps @ installer app on 1.4 when I used my 1st gen iPhone which allowed using tmobile data plan..? whould somethign like taht work? :eek:

8. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I believe AT&T does not offer unlimited data with their prepaid plans anymore. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, your best bet would be to go to T-Mobile.

10. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

I am calling them right now but they seem to be even bigger idiots than At&T , I needed 10 minutes until he understood that I want to get NEW service xD he thought I want to top up my minutes.... IDIOT

11. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

THIS GUY IS STUPPPIID he doesnt even know if I can use 3G on prepaid OMFG!!!! I would love to go there and smack Tmobile in theire face! :eek:

Just godda love Skype Caller ID ,, they where so confused about my Number (+49151.....) its using my German iphone number muhahahahah ... retarts

12. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

He "doubble checked" and then Told me that there is no Data option for Prepaid available... WTF :eek:

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you want 3G data, then AT&T, since only AT&Ts signal can be useful for the iPhone's antenna. T-Mobile in the US doesn't have the required 3G MHz band for the iPhone

14. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

What about Edge? that would be enough for me ... :D

15. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Jsut to trow in, there are probably lots of Wifi Hotspots in new york... Since I am going to be in manhattan the whole time, it should not be difficult to find a starbucks pretty much anywhere, is it? So what Carrier is Starbuzcks Using? is it still Tmobile or at&t now? or is there even a better way to get Wifi in Downtown new york? :D

16. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It's AT&T.

17. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Your iphone won't work with 3G on t-mobile in the states ... it will only be edge.

If you want 3G with the iphone your only choice is AT&T.

18. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Edge will work just fine on t-mobile and the iphone. Just make sure your phone is unlocked ...

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

EDGE? Yes, that works fine on iPhone 3G and T-Mobile US. Remember to purchase the T-Zone $5.99 plan and use T-Zones Hack in Cydia to make it available for you.

BTW - T-Zones is unlimited internet (EDGE/GPRS), a bit slower than AT&T's because it runs through a proxy, but hey, its something.

20. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that available with prepaid tho? :confused: