Best Case that fits with dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Notorious96, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Notorious96 macrumors newbie

I have the black 16gig 3GS and I am using incase slider case. The case is brillliant but it does not allow for it to sit on the universal or iphone dock. The bottom slider needs to be pulled out for it to sit in the dock

Anyone know of

1. Any case that sits on the dock (universal/iphone) without having to remove the bottom
    2. Any dock that allows the iphone with case to sit in it
    3. A holder that works with the dock that allows for the phone to held upright on a desk

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are few cases that will fit in the actual dock. A skin will work but not much else.
    However, there are cases where you can remove the bottom to dock.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Switch Easy cases come with a dock adapter that will fit a lot of phones with the case on. I used to own a Neo Touch on my old ipod Touch and it came with the dock adapter which now works perfectly with my iphone + incase slider in my iHome. Maybe try contacting them and see if you can just buy the dock adapter.

4. doneall macrumors newbie

docking station that fits while cased

My friend just got a docking station that fits the iPhone while in a case. He knows the guy that is making these things. Looks pretty good and it works.
    http://made2dock.myshopify.com

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That looks promising. Do you know how long the cable is? Is it the extremely short Apple cable length or did they decide to make it a little longer like every other cell phone company does?

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

made2dock looks incrediblely stylish - anyone bought this?!

7. T4R06 macrumors 65816

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

These do look really nice. I'd consider getting one of these if I knew that it would work with my Seidio Innocase.

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Just ordered one after getting a prompt reply from the seller.

There are three sizes, for oversized cases, slim cases, and no case. Something for everyone.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

How do you know if your case will actually fit though? If you tell them the specific case you have, do they tell you if it will fit?

11. ColeUK macrumors member

What about using the speaker?

Can you utilise the 'Speaker' with docks usually? Doesn't look like you could benefit from the use of the 'Speaker' while the iPhone is placed in that particular dock though? (made2dock)

12. gregslc66 macrumors newbie

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

It's not really a "case" per say, but I have an invisible shield on mine, which works beautifully with the dock.

14. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The griffin aircurve is a dock that allows you to use the inbuilt speaker, and even amplifies it.

15. dano31415 macrumors newbie

made2dock docking station in case

What my brother "doneall" means by he has a friend who knows a guy, he means me. I am the one who makes these custom docking stations.

I am an engineer and the production manager for a manufacturing company. I developed it after I upgraded my 2G iPhone to the 3GS and wanted to dock it while in a case. But I couldn't find anything anywhere, so I made my own. And I figured there must be other people in the same situation.

The base is machined from solid aluminum and has a standard sync cable pressed inside. The cable is 36" long.

Your phone is guaranteed to fit. If it doesn't, I will give you a full refund. If your not sure which pocket size you need, you can tell me what case you have and I will make sure you get the correct fit. The standard slim has been tested on the ifrogz (as seen in the pics), Seidio Innocase, and Incase Slider Case. They all fit great.

And no, it doesn't really work well if you want to use the speakers. It doesn't dampen the volume much, but it will muffle the sound quality. If playing music while docked is important to you, you are probably better off with the Sendstation Dock Extender in conjunction with an Apple docking station.

I'm currently working on a black anodized model and one made from solid oak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Looks nice. Great work! I don't know why other companies haven't thought about this yet. Now what was that 15% Mac Rumors discount you were talking about earlier again? ;)

17. dano31415 macrumors newbie

Sure thing Steve, but just for you.

18. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Received mine in Maine last night, will create a formal review of the dock in the next couple of days - stay tuned!

First impressions: very nice and well built!

19. dano31415 macrumors newbie

A deal can always be worked out. I think we could do buy one, get one 1/2 off.

20. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

very nice, how much are one of these? in metal and the oak

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I would be VERY interested in one of these. They look fan-friggen-tastic and the only reason I am not currently ordering one is that I would definitely prefer a black one.

Are these being made with a milling machine?

22. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

From some of our correspondence:

" I make the docks on a $400,000 machine that can hold tolerances of 0.0001". It's a little bit of overkill for docking stations. "
    :D

23. dano31415 macrumors newbie

iPhone docking station update

I tried make a docking station out of oak yesterday. Didn't go so well. My machine is a little too strong. When it tried to grab the dock in the chuck, it shattered it into a hundred pieces. I guess we will be sticking to aluminum.

On a positive note, we will be sending a large batch of docking stations to our anodizing vendor today. So we should have the black ones on the website in about one more week.

And if you want a better idea of how they are made, there a some short video clips of the docks being machined on our website in the "about us" section.

24. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

made2dock:

Just received mine, thanks. Really beautiful on my desk.

Will review on www.ehphone.ca.

25. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

i was going to ask the same thing. The dock looks very slick, but what about sound?