Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hxlly17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
Hey, what’s the best routine to charge my new iphone 13 pro max? i’m worried that if i charge it overnight every night it’ll make the battery bad, i did the same on my 12 and it was at 91%! anyone got any tips? thanks

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Hey, what’s the best routine to charge my new iphone 13 pro max? i’m worried that if i charge it overnight every night it’ll make the battery bad, i did the same on my 12 and it was at 91%! anyone got any tips? thanks
You might not like this answer but use the little original 5w charging brick. In addition don’t let your phone drop below 10% before charging it. I usually don’t go below 20%. And don’t max charge. I get mine to around 90% and I’m good. My 12 promax from the time I had it which was the end of last year(December) to September it was still 100%

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Honestly I don’t know. I prefer to keep it off though. I only have it on for my series 6 Apple Watch. Which is funny because I bought it in November and it’s at 91% battery capacity as we speak.
I’m not actually knowledgeable about the apple watches since I’ve never owned one. Am I correct that the watches only use wireless charging?

nemexid

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Just giving my two cents here; XR ~2½ yo, pretty much sits on a wireless charger when I'm home (8-16 hours a day?), no charging at night time, battery health 91%. I don't personally think one should try to optimize the charging, just use the phone the way you want, one can always replace the battery if things come to that. Instead getting obsessed about when to charge and when not, for years. You should have better things to do.

Last edited:

hxlly17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
You might not like this answer but use the little original 5w charging brick. In addition don’t let your phone drop below 10% before charging it. I usually don’t go below 20%. And don’t max charge. I get mine to around 90% and I’m good. My 12 promax from the time I had it which was the end of last year(December) to September it was still 100%
so don’t charge overnight then? because lots of sources say to charge overnight and i’m like ahhhhhj

hxlly17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
My XS Max is three years old. I don’t worry about charging routines and the battery health is 92 percent. Plus a replacement battery from Apple isn’t expensive if that ever becomes necessary.
do you charge overnight?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Optimized battery charging off, never charge my iPhone overnight, charge it to full in the morning.

My 12 pro max had 99% battery health when I sold it, was running iOS 15 betas, fast charging with apple 20W adapter and belkin 3-1 MagSafe charger.

magicman32

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2007
The best advice I’ve seen (that I practice) and seems to be a consensus is scientifically speaking to charge it to around 80-85 if that can get your through your day and charge again around 30 percent. That keeps the battery from its extreme highs and lows which these types of batteries don’t like Which keeps the heat under control.

Im also of the mind, and there seems to be data be back this up, that a fast charger won’t hurt your battery as long as you follow the above rule of thumb. Think of the fast charger like a sponge. At first it gives you battery a big blast of energy to get it going and then it eventually slows down and levels off. Similar to how a sponge soaks up a large portion of water at first and then the absorption dies down once it gets too full.

I don’t dig these big 60 plus watt chargers. I had one for one of my phones and never used it. I stick with a 20 watt Anker Nano charger (same size as the OG iPhone brick) and an old Essential phone 27 watt in my bedroom.

I charge it to as close to 80 as I can before bed so I can just top it off in the morning before I go. I used to charge overnight but I don’t do that anymore. I actually shut my phone off at night as I have no use for it while I sleep.

hxlly17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
The best advice I’ve seen (that I practice) and seems to be a consensus is scientifically speaking to charge it to around 80-85 if that can get your through your day and charge again around 30 percent. That keeps the battery from its extreme highs and lows which these types of batteries don’t like Which keeps the heat under control.

Im also of the mind, and there seems to be data be back this up, that a fast charger won’t hurt your battery as long as you follow the above rule of thumb. Think of the fast charger like a sponge. At first it gives you battery a big blast of energy to get it going and then it eventually slows down and levels off. Similar to how a sponge soaks up a large portion of water at first and then the absorption dies down once it gets too full.

I don’t dig these big 60 plus watt chargers. I had one for one of my phones and never used it. I stick with a 20 watt Anker Nano charger (same size as the OG iPhone brick) and an old Essential phone 27 watt in my bedroom.

I charge it to as close to 80 as I can before bed so I can just top it off in the morning before I go. I used to charge overnight but I don’t do that anymore. I actually shut my phone off at night as I have no use for it while I sleep.
Ah right, i have a 20W apple brick charger so that should be alright?

Reactions: magicman32

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Keep all your batteries charged between 20-80% for best battery life.

I charge mine to 80% most of the time except when I know I may need extra charge then to 90%. I try to charge when it gets to around 20%.

hxlly17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
Keep all your batteries charged between 20-80% for best battery life.

I charge mine to 80% most of the time except when I know I may need extra charge then to 90%. I try to charge when it gets to around 20%.
and what’s your battery health? i want to keep my 13 pro max healthy

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
Great question with some useful answers. My less than 1 year old 12 Pro battery health dropped drastically to 90% (In my opinion for the time I had it) before I sold it and I did wonder what I was doing wrong.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
My 12 mini I had since the launch date, is at 99% which I traded in for free via AT&T.

Reactions: hxlly17
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.