best cloner for mac hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Dec 31, 2010.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I am running outa space on my mac hard drive due to apps and stuff, and wanted to ask how do you you clone the drive so that i can then use that drive as my new boot drive,??

AND

which program is the easiest to us, fastest, more reliable and cheapest?

also can u clone say a drive i have movies backed up on? Cant you also use time machine to back it all up to a big set of back up drives?

thanks!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have never used it, but multiple threads here always seem to suggest Carbon Copy Cloner is the way to go.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Carbon Copy Cloner.

I use it every night to clone HDD's. Works very well and it is free.

http://www.bombich.com/

4. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbon copy! thanks guys!

will give it a try!

how easy is it to use and how do you set it up for nightly stuff as well? or is that on the web site?

thanks!

5. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I have a license for SuperDuper and I have also donated to Bombich (Carbon Copy Cloner). They are both awesome. SuperDuper is easier to use and setup; CCC has a few more features such as bootable backups over the network. I use both.

As for regular backups, both can be scheduled for daily backups, but personally, I think it's better to do regular backups with Time Machine, and to make occasional bootable backups with SuperDuper or CCC. My $0.02.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Carbon Copy Cloner is pretty easy to use you pick your Source Disk and then your Target Disk. It gives you various options to choose from. Then you just push the clone button and it goes to work.

Afterwards you can Save the task and set it to run whenever you want it too. I have my cloning tasks run in the middle of the night.

7. barmann macrumors 6502

CCC (free) and SuperDuper .

Does CCC have something like SD's Smart Update ?
    Big time saver, updates an existing clone in minutes .

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Of course it does. It's called incremental backup.

I used both CCC and SuperDuper and came to the conclusion that there is nothing better than CCC. Awesome piece of software!

My machines boot up at night, backup all partitions, and go to sleep 30 minutes later.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

And with CCC when you do an incremental backup you can have it create an archive folder with the items that are no longer on the source.

10. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am a big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner, but yes, you can use Disk Utility with the "restore" feature

CCC is free, and the ability to schedule a nightly clone is huge for me

12. philipma1957, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

gold standard =

1)CCC

2) Superduper

3) TM

4) offsite service

all four if you really need the info.

but the first 3 are free and even if you buy the superduper upgrade it is under 30 bucks.

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I've cloned a few OSX boot drives with SuperDuper and it's always worked perfect. The price is right also (free for the basic version)........................ :p

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'm using CCC to do a clone of my SSD boot drive to an external. I just learned that you don't have to do the incremental option with CCC to have it do an update. The way he words it, it makes it sound like doing the Backup Everything with Delete Items would erase the target disk each time, but it doesn't. This is from the support staff:

So I just leave it on the Backup Everything with Delete Items option, and it will only copy over changes since my last clone.

-Kevin

15. NoManIsland macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback in this thread: I got CCC and did my first clone of my boot drive onto my data drive - handy if I ever need to restore my system if something goes wrong. I still have my TM backing up the system and data, and the clone along with.

I'm looking to move towards a safer setup than what I have right now (pretty much just my TM drive), but I'm wondering what role a maintained clone could play. The plan was to have four 2TB drives in the four bays, in RAID 10 for data, and a 120GB SSD for boot. I still want to have TM in an external, but would it be paranoid to work a clone into this as well? If it could fit in that system, what would the best implementation be?

16. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate to a new HDD.
    Easy to use.
    Perfect copy. Even took the trash contents.

17. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I just use Disk Utility To "Restore From" and "Restore to" and set the target disks, and then Go, it's built into the system, no need for additional software, and it works perfectly. I have used this many times to restore a disk in it's entirety to another volume. Restores everything on the disk and if it's a bootable volume, your disk that you restore to will be bootable as well.

18. goMac macrumors 603

There have been several nasty bugs in Carbon Copy Cloner, that at least with 10.6, would quietly corrupt some system files and result in trouble down the road. They are probably fixed now, but...

A block level copy with Disk Utility is always the best and most problem free way to clone a drive.

19. rtrt, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I wonder if on a straight clone, is carbon copy cloner actually doing anything any different than disk utility restore?

21. goMac macrumors 603

True. Depends why you're cloning the drive. When I worked as a tech and I needed to clone one machine to another I used a block level copy. File level copy gets a bit more tricky. I knew of a lot of different programs people used for backup.

22. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

The docs are a bit murky, but in many cases (smaller target disk, incremental copy), CCC and SuperDuper do a file-level copy. That said, they both take great care to ensure that the copy is a disk image. The only thing you can't do (which I learned the hard way) is switch freely from one to the other for incremental copies - they each have a different set of files they omit in the copies, and if you take an incremental backup made by one, you can't use it for an incremental copy for the other.