Best cloud platform to store 5TB in 2016

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patent10021, Jun 18, 2016.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I'm dying to ditch my HDs. My data isn't valuable enough to maintain on HD but I reference my data enough that I'd like it in the cloud.

Where is the best place to store 5TB?

2. Tech198, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

uh.... what ?

its not valuable enough to have backups ? but it is valuable enough for someone else store it?

Carbonite probably is good as a "backup" service...... but for 5TB ?

Better to keep multiple backup's..

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Strange, as others have hinted at....it'll be way more expensive to pay someone else to store it. Just pick up a few high capacity HDDs and set one to mirror the other.

I'm betting that the first failure would occur well after you'd have paid out the value of the drive to the cloud service.

Of course you wouldn't have access to it 'anywhere' but...well that's for you to determine the worth.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

My bad. I meant to say cloud by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/

$60 for a year of unlimited anything. I've got a few TB of data myself and they haven't batted an eye.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Interesting. They say, "Securely store all of your photos, videos, files and documents for just $59.99 per year."

Do they enforce that your files must be a photo, video, or document file, or is that just a marketing decision to illustrate how one might make use of the service?

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I've got zips and whatnot that count as documents. You should ask support though. Dropbox gets their space from Amazon.

7. Tech198 macrumors G4

Yes, but dropbox has limits on what u can share without creating an account. For example, although i can store 4Gig file in dropbox, i cannot share it with everyone.. they first must create a DB account..

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Only in the USA, it seems - in the UK, Amazon want £320 a year for a maximum of 1TB!

9. Huntn, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Warning about Amazon, you get what you pay for. When I tried it (Dec2015) uploads were no problem, but there were limits to download sizes, (as in something like 2000- 5000 files, forget exactly), so for this circumstance, instead of simply selecting a large folder for download, you'd have to selects parts of it, download the parts and then put them back together. Unacceptable for my purposes. I was not working with unusually huge folders. Maybe they have fixed that?

I've got 2GB at Google, but my primary backup is double TB drives kept synched. They are cheap, but the primary vulnerability would be a house fire.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmmm, good tip re Amazon: probably not suited for my needs.