Best Coffee Maker

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eric/, Sep 4, 2012.

1. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That looks like a nice machine. I bought this Quickmill model a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it.

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=fquickmillandreja

2. Gregorholl, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

Gregorholl macrumors newbie

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I'm still loving the Verismo, although it appears that Starbucks has killed it.

So far, this damn thing has outlasted the longest lasting Kuerig we've ever owned by at least TWICE!

I knew a couple that had a Miele built-in installed in their bedroom in their new custom HUGE home. And I thought we worshiped coffee...

4. fieldz macrumors newbie

fieldz

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the Bialetti is a wonderful pot, makes lovely coffee - and it looks gorgeous, too.

I love mine, but don't use it as much as I ought to.

6. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

I love coffee, and i like all forms of it, i've a v60 dripper for my daily coffee at home, a dolce gusto pod machine for me and the wife to have a quick latte or mocca, my nespresso sits at my desk at work for quick shots in-between seeing patients, i have a cold brew hario filter at home if i fancy mixing things up, I even have a hot plate filter machine for everyone at work so we can grab a coffee in meetings.

I've shopped around for great coffee suppliers, i've currently got 2 - 1 is PACT coffee who do a mail order service and just started with a beta program of nespresso pods which are quite nice and the second is a coffee roasters in Edinburgh called Mr Eion who does truly great coffee (I have a friend who buys it from the store and posts it to me).

I'm not a snob for coffee, I am a coffee drinker, and whether it be a starbucks, costa coffee, dolce gusto/nespresso pod, or a good ground coffee i like them all.

As has been said before, if you like it,then you like it and that's the best - for you!

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The best coffee maker? She was in a skimpy bikini about 5' 4", brown hair in a pony tail coming out from the back of a ball cap, big brown eyes, nice tan guessing 34C, 26 inch waist, nice butt. Oh yeah the coffee wasn't bad either.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I love the smell of coffee. I really love the smell of coffee. I have bought coffee beans just for the smell. Love the smell.

I have a problem with coffee at times. Sometimes coffee causes 'strange things', but often it's the only thing that jump starts me in the morning.

And the Verismo is just the s**t for that. I LOVE the Italian Roast Decaf. It's got enough 'jump' to get me purring like a well oiled machine on Monday mornings.

But anyway... Starbucks killed it, apparently. BOO!!!

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

With coffee, I have found that it can be good to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone every so often.

Otherwise, in my case, I would drink nothing but Ethiopian coffee, but it is nice to sample others and test them against your known preferences. You might find stuff that you consider worth adding to those self same preferences.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

A problem I had with a lot of drip coffeemakers was that the water temperature when the hot water hits the grounds was woefully too low--about 165 °F. (74 °C.). The better drip coffeemakers have hot water at around 192 °F. (89 °C.), which is what I have with my three-cup Krups machine.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I learned that the hard way, too. It is one of the main reasons why I never bought a coffee-maker - lukewarm coffee is not remotely attractive.

13. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

In fact, what's interesting about a better Keurig coffeemaker model (despite what everyone thinks about Keurig!) is that the water temperature when it hits grounds IS 89 °C. At work, I have a reusable K-Cup unit where I put in my own ground coffee--in this case Kona from Hawaii. :)

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, for now, that is why I stay with the old French Press or Hario dropper methods (augmented occasionally by the use of my Bialetti moka pot); there, I do have a say in the temperature of the coffee.

15. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

16. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I actually like the Keruig as a product and the coffee it makes is ok - certainly better than break room coffee. What I don't like about it is the DRM that they put into Keruig 2.0 or the fact that there winds up being so much plastic waste from the cups.

17. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I like how this sounds ... tell me more ... :D

18. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I have owned a Bunn for many years. The make great coffee and you don't have to wait a long time for it. I had one go out, and they sent me a free replacement....

https://freshpresso.net/bunn-coffee-makers/

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

That's why the Keurig machine at work is NOT a Keurig 2.0 unit--and why I use a reusable K-Cup unit.

20. Zenithal macrumors 603

For a drip maker I always recommend something expensive because it's usually well thought out and it provides the correct temperature needs to brew coffee. In addition, a stainless steel filter or one plated in gold is best. The flavor and viscosity is similar to French Press, but with less micro sediment. Which is better for people who have a history of cholesterol, since the micro sediment is known to increase bad cholesterol.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

By drip, you mean the Hario style drip - i.e., dropper with a filter paper?

I don't use stainless steel; I use a (Hario) ceramic dripper, - elegant, stylish and excellent - and I also have a copper one (beautiful), plastic for convenience when travelling, and a lovely hand made wooden one.

22. Zenithal macrumors 603

No. A drip coffee maker. It heats up water in a boiler integrated into the unit and sprays and drips over the grounds. You get what you pay for in this segment, and it's usually the very expensive models that deliver coffee as it's meant to be.

The use of a stainless steel or gold plated stainless steel filter offer zero flavor impact, they're greener than paper, they allow oils and some sediment to go through, etc. Usually these models also use a thermally protected vessel instead of glass to maintain that coffee temperature so you can enjoy more than a cup or two. Or, in my case, all 8-12 cups.

23. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I've had good luck with Krups brand coffee makers. They use a Melitta #4 filter (or a mesh filter). Good water heating, charcoal water filters and good controls. Not overly expensive, either. You do the best results witha fine ground coffee, though.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, in a surprisingly large number of areas, you tend to get what you pay for.

What brands and models do you recommend?

I used to dislike the old style coffee machines - the coffee was never hot enough, and that is the principle reason I never purchased one, though (as these threads make clear) I love my coffee.

For now, the Hario dripper method and/or French Press (for that, I use Le Creuset, gorgeous and functional) suit my needs best.

25. Zenithal macrumors 603

Surprisingly, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're designed to be cool while providing a quality cup. Some take up too much counter space. Technivirom and Bonavita make the best I've come across. Neither company's models are remotely cheap, and they take up much needed counter space, even in a very large kitchen. Chemex makes an auto pourover machine which you might like. I would look into companies with machines that were tested and certified by various bodies in North America and Greater Europe. They ensure the machines are well built, operate well, and they brew at the correct temperature and offer an even brew.