Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Surprisingly, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're designed to be cool while providing a quality cup. Some take up too much counter space. Technivirom and Bonavita make the best I've come across. Neither company's models are remotely cheap, and they take up much needed counter space, even in a very large kitchen. Chemex makes an auto pourover machine which you might like. I would look into companies with machines that were tested and certified by various bodies in North America and Greater Europe. They ensure the machines are well built, operate well, and they brew at the correct temperature and offer an even brew.

I have had coffee (though never prepared by myself) with the classic Chemex method, and found it delicious.

However, while I did read about the Chemex automatic machines (developed around four years ago if memory serves), and read several reviews, and will admit I was tempted, I never followed through with a purchase.

I think I wished to hear or read more word of mouth feedback.

Reactions: 0388631

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm sticking to a French press and I pour over water that I've heated in a pan and decided is the right temperature. If it's cold in the kitchen then I want it right off the boil for sure.

But earliest on, I still go for that 5am Keurig cuppa to get my heart started, and at that point I'm not fussy about anything except "is the cup full yet? good then let's pour it over the hot milk I've somehow managed to get into another cup and in and out of the microwave without untoward incident, and be done with it."

That first cup is like a medicinal injection some mornings, including ten minutes later the question of whether I have actually had that first brew or not. I'm a morning person by preference now, but perhaps not naturally and certainly not without a serious caffeine launch in all but that brief midsummer stretch when the sun's already well up at 5am.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I have had coffee (though never prepared by myself) with the classic Chemex method, and found it delicious.

However, while I did read about the Chemex automatic machines (developed around four years ago if memory serves), and read several reviews, and will admit I was tempted, I never followed through with a purchase.

I think I wished to hear or read more word of mouth feedback.

My opinion when it comes to consumer products that use any form of electricity, battery or corded, is to wait at least 6-8 months for reviews to come in and maybe even a first generation to pass by. My only exclusion to said rule is mobile phones since they're always new. I did violate my cardinal rule by buying the new MacBook Pro when it came out a couple years, but I bought it with Apple Care. Knock on wood, I haven't had keyboard issues. Though I will likely sell it off and upgrade to a new one the next time it's revised.

Coffee makers are rather simple if not crude. Much like a roux (borrowing from the dinner thread), it may be simple, but it's also very easy to mess up. In any case, outside of pour-overs, I enjoy the moka made coffee the most. As it seeps out of the funnel, you get those warm spicy aromas with a heavy caramel odor due in part to the roasting process. Wonderful aromas linger in the kitchen and with just a small amount of sugar or your choice of sweetener, it's a divine drink.

I will be following my cardinal rule with the upcoming Samsung S10 because I don't believe the transition to a solid screen to a punch out design will be without fault. That and I'm quite happy with my current S model. Though I'm awfully tempted to buy it outright.

I've used iPhones in the past and simply don't find them very intuitive or enjoy the walled in experience they offer. I find some of the ways iOS works to be needlessly complicated or difficult.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My opinion when it comes to consumer products that use any form of electricity, battery or corded, is to wait at least 6-8 months for reviews to come in and maybe even a first generation to pass by. My only exclusion to said rule is mobile phones since they're always new. I did violate my cardinal rule by buying the new MacBook Pro when it came out a couple years, but I bought it with Apple Care. Knock on wood, I haven't had keyboard issues. Though I will likely sell it off and upgrade to a new one the next time it's revised.

Coffee makers are rather simple if not crude. Much like a roux (borrowing from the dinner thread), it may be simple, but it's also very easy to mess up. In any case, outside of pour-overs, I enjoy the moka made coffee the most. As it seeps out of the funnel, you get those warm spicy aromas with a heavy caramel odor due in part to the roasting process. Wonderful aromas linger in the kitchen and with just a small amount of sugar or your choice of sweetener, it's a divine drink.

I will be following my cardinal rule with the upcoming Samsung S10 because I don't believe the transition to a solid screen to a punch out design will be without fault. That and I'm quite happy with my current S model. Though I'm awfully tempted to buy it outright.

I've used iPhones in the past and simply don't find them very intuitive or enjoy the walled in experience they offer. I find some of the ways iOS works to be needlessly complicated or difficult.

On iOS, agreed; I, too, find it unnecessary complicated at times, and difficult, and no, also agreed, I don't really enjoy the experience.

Re coffee makers, very interesting and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Re coffee makers, very interesting and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post.
No problem. There are sometimes much cheaper drip makers that seem to spit out water at the correct temperature, but their build quality is only good for 3-4 years at most before heat warps the thin plastic lid. That said, I always try to opt for a thermal carafe over glass because it keeps coffee piping hot for 1-2 hours, sometimes 3 if it's well made, and doesn't have that stale taste. Plus, you don't risk shattering it like you would glass if you weren't very careful.

I believe one of the higher end drip machines allows you to opt for either glass or thermal carafe, and it detects the latter through a magnet and won't heat the base plate if you use a thermal carafe to avoid damaging it. Neat stuff.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I pleased with my Keurig with Dunn Brothers light and medium roast k-cups.

I have two other coffee makers and...

(1) I don’t know how to use them
(2) they’re a hassle to operate for a cup of coffee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I pleased with my Keurig with Dunn Brothers light and medium roast k-cups.

I have two other coffee makers and...

(1) I don’t know how to use them
(2) they’re a hassle to operate for a cup of coffee

As long as it is idiot proof, and easy to use when I am blearily trying to prepare a coffee in the early hours of a morning prior to dashing for a train (and both the Hario dripper and French Press meet those requirements), that is more than enough for me.

Agree about over-complicated things; not worth the stress and hassle.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My poor neglected coffee maker, sometimes I hear a sobbing coming from the kitchen, and no it’s not my spouse. ;) In my post coffee drinking days, I’ve noticed I don’t drink my herbal coffees as regular as I used to consume coffee, and I suspect there was a direct drug addiction element to my consumption.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Easiest to use drip makers are probably Mr. Coffee by a wide margin.
The main problem there is that Mr Coffee machines are crap! They really haven't made any major upgrades to their machines since they came out. There are far better, inexpensive machines out there.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The main problem there is that Mr Coffee machines are crap! They really haven't made any major upgrades to their machines since they came out. There are far better, inexpensive machines out there.
I said easiest to use, not best quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.