Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
After receiving a Lenovo T61 laptop from the college I'll be attending this fall, I've been looking into the possible cases/bags I could purchase. You might ask why I'm posting this in the Macbook forums...

Well, I also own a Macbook. So I'll need a case that could (potentially) hold two laptops (traveling from home/campus).

My main focus is to buy a bag that will be able to hold the Lenovo laptop, as well as a textbook or two, among other small accessories. I'm not sure whether to go with an all out backpack, or a messenger style bag, so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You could try a swiss gear bag, my mom and I got one for my dad, for his birthday. I used it once, and it can hold alot of stuff. You could stash 2 textbooks in there, as well as a notebook/pens/pencils/ etc.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
A Timbuk2 bag with the divider would work great for you. Each one in its own sleeve, leaving plenty of room for other stuff. I've got a Timbuk2 bag that's been in use since 2003 that's still in great shape.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
I have a Crumbler sleeve and an Eastpack bag with an 15" laptop compartment. It works out great for me, and Eastpack has lifelong warrantee (or something like 10 years). You really have to consider to don't buy cheap stuff, If your notebooks damage you won't forgive yourself

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
Swiss Gear is great quality.

More of a utilitarian look than trendy. Which may or may not be your thing.

I could probably fit four laptops in my Synergy Backpack and still have plenty of room for other things.

gungrave70

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I recently bought a mamba sable bag from booq and i love the thing..they are a little pricey at 125$ a piece but they are absolutely worth it..and all the space you will need

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

After going to one or two stores and checking out the bags, I think I'm going to opt for a backpack style bag, rather than a messenger. It just seems like it will be easier to put books, my laptop, and other necessities in it.

Further suggestions are welcome...thanks

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
This one seems to be rated pretty well on Amazon. I'm in the market for a new bag as well and I might be picking one of those up.

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
This one seems to be rated pretty well on Amazon. I'm in the market for a new bag as well and I might be picking one of those up.

To be honest, I think that's a little bit "too much" for my personal needs, although it does look like a nice bag.

I've been looking at the Ogio Flux (in black). It stores a laptop as well as a few books, and it looks pretty slick. Any opinions on this pick?

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

After going to one or two stores and checking out the bags, I think I'm going to opt for a backpack style bag, rather than a messenger. It just seems like it will be easier to put books, my laptop, and other necessities in it.

Further suggestions are welcome...thanks

STM Rogue is the one I have. It doesn't look too much like a laptop bag but provides a lot of back support and holds a lot of stuff.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
I love Aussiebag and SpireUSA products to protect and carry my Macbook.

http://www.aussiebag.com/

http://www.spireusa.com/

http://shopping.msn.com/results/lap...t=category:laptop-bags-cases+Brand:North-Face

North Face is the way to go. They are designed and have been used for mountain climbing and other things that would destroy other bags,. They use waterproof zippers and stuff and its all really high quality.
Sure it costs more, but I got a north face backpack in 7th grade and its still used every day and im about to start college. Before that the weight of books and abuse would get me 3 or more backpacks per year

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Oakley bags are pretty solid in my opinion. Check em out, especially the Kitchen Sink bag...

http://oakley.com/pd/3088

Going to be picking this bag up I think within the next few days.

And I recommend getting a really big backpack for college. You will thank me later when you start piling 2-3 books at a time that weight about 15-20 pounds each, plus your laptop. the reason I recommend this backpack is the Laptop slot is pretty big (made to fit a 17" laptop) which means a Macbook in a sleeve would fit perfectly. Plus it has a waterproof section, tons of space and compartments. I plan to always carry a pair of swimming trunks, towel, few books, change of clothes, laptop, and a few other things with me (I live in hawaii, I am surrounded by beaches). I am telling you, oakley bags hold up for along time also!

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
The Ogio Flux looks well suited for your needs, I can't seem to find anything that beats the features vs. price. I might get one of those for school too.. lol ;D

Yupp. It's on the top of my list thus far. The look, functionality, and cost seem to fit the bill. I'd like to see one in person, though. I haven't been able to find any pictures online that show the bag open...

UPDATE:

http://www.ebags.com/ogio/flux/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=106235

Link to the Ogio Flux...with interior/exterior pictures. Seems like it'll be able to hold my laptop, a few books, and other necessities, as stated in my "needs." I'll probably be getting it in black.

Opinions?

kovalchuk71

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
TNF Surge? I really like mine. It has a nice laptop section with "gel" columns to help relieve pressure from textbooks. Plus it holds a decent amount and has a lifetime warranty.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm "between" school right now so the messenger bag is better for me, but if I were still in school, I would definitely go for a backpack style. I think Spire has some laptop backpacks.

The messenger bags are nice and convenient but when loaded down they kill your shoulder. Plus when I was in school, I often went to the gym to lift before/after class, and I needed to carry some clothes in with the books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.