Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Wow, I'm liking Oakley's selection. Though the Kitchen Sink is a little too much for me. I think this http://oakley.com/pd/5965 in Black will suit my needs and an MBP nicely for this semester. All I need now is to purchase my MBP...come on revision! :p

I actually went and looked at a bunch of the oakley bags at an oakley store yesterday. The kitchen sink is a pretty big bag, by far the best. All the rest just seemed to small. I am not goign to buy the Kitchen Sink bag as the $175 is alot for a backpack, but am going to get the North Face Surge bag. Plus it has a lifetime warranty compared to the Oakley's 90 day. I suggest going to look at the bags first before ordering online.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
TNF Surge? I really like mine. It has a nice laptop section with "gel" columns to help relieve pressure from textbooks. Plus it holds a decent amount and has a lifetime warranty.

I just pulled the trigger on the TNF Surge. North Face has a lifetime warranty, and for the price, I couldn't say no. Got it for $89 shipped. I will post once I have received my be.ez LaRobe and The North Face Surge.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
will it hold allot of stuff????

To be honest Fonzijr, this was my biggest concern. Can this bag hold my laptop, 2 HUGE books (I am an Respiratory therapy student, so all those science books are about 6 inches thick), notebooks, towel and swimsuit (I live in hawaii :p), and if needed a change of clothes. This bag has tons of pockets and is pretty huge, something like 2050 cu (cubic inches I think). Read a review about a law student who said he was able to carry around all of his binders/books plus his laptop and still had extra room. Give me a few days and I will let everyone know what I think.

Check out this review:

http://www.qualitylaptopcases.com/_...he_North_Face_Surge_Backpack_Laptop_Case.html

This review is pretty amazing:

http://flyingwithfish.blogspot.com/2008/05/north-face-surge-backpack-updated.html

What got me to buy this is all the reviews are 4-5/5 stars, and most people have not said one bad thing about it. Not only that, but north face always makes quality products which are backed by a lifetime warranty.

I got the empire blue.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I have changed my mind :D, TNF Surge is looking excellent. TNF Surge it is; thanks mademan :)

No problem man! I am totally about getting the best product for your money. I was totally set on getting the Oakley Kitchen Sink backpack, but $175 is just ridiculous for a backpack. Plus it is pretty big and is NOT water resistant, and when I plan on picking up my motorcycle I would definitely need something water resistant for my laptop!

Spongey817

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
Nice suggestions, guys. I'm really having a hard time finding anything that will suit my needs more than the Ogio Flex. I'll probably end up getting that, but as always, more suggestions are always welcome.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Nice suggestions, guys. I'm really having a hard time finding anything that will suit my needs more than the Ogio Flex. I'll probably end up getting that, but as always, more suggestions are always welcome.

I can tell you man that you do not want a messenger type bag. Backpacks are going to be by far the best to hold all your stuff. Make sure what you get is also good on the back. Lugging around all those books plus your laptop isn't going to be light, and the last thing you need is a sore back from carrying your backpack. Do you have an REI around you? Or a big department store like Macy's or Nordstroms? They will usually carry the nice stuff when it comes to backpacks.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I can tell you man that you do not want a messenger type bag. Backpacks are going to be by far the best to hold all your stuff. Make sure what you get is also good on the back. Lugging around all those books plus your laptop isn't going to be light, and the last thing you need is a sore back from carrying your backpack. Do you have an REI around you? Or a big department store like Macy's or Nordstroms? They will usually carry the nice stuff when it comes to backpacks.

I agree on both counts. I would never buy a backpack without trying it out first.

Indohottie

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
I am a big fan of any of the timbuk2 series bags.. great space and pading and they look cool!

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I got the Samsonite Interchange Laptop Backpack and love it. I think they have 3 different color combos to choose from. I have had a number of expensive laptop backbacks and this one is the best IMO for the money.

I got it for $34 which includes shipping through ebags.com. I know a number of places sell it online. I was at Staples a few weeks ago and they were selling it for $79.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
This one seems to be rated pretty well on Amazon. I'm in the market for a new bag as well and I might be picking one of those up.

Yes those are ideal laptop bags. I bought two at Bestbuy when they were only $7 each. My wife and I just love them.

dannywong

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
these backpacks are so clunky..

are there any backpacks that will just fit the laptop and 1 small binder without excess space/junk?

im just using a neoprene sleeve with a jansport superbreak seems as close as i can get

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
With all this talk of backpacks, I decided to go for it.

Best Buy has the Swiss Synergy backpack on sale this week only, reduced from 86.00 to 59.99. It is a nice looking backpack. Lots of compartments, fits laptops up to 15.4. Perfect for my Macbook or Toshiba U405D.

I got the last one at my local Best Buy but the site says it is available at other Best Buys. Just wanted to throw this in as an FYI because it's a pretty good discount for a top-rated product. All of the reviews I have seen on this particular backpack have been very positive.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Got a really nice laptop bag from Best buy for 59.99 kinda pricey but really nice. Soft plus interior lol sounds like a car but it is made my incase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.