Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

und3rd0g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Hi all -
I currently play WoW on an old IBM thinkpad t42 with 2 GB RAM on a 15" laptop screen. My WoW display settings are cranked way down. After playing on this setup for a couple years, I feel I am due for a new computer.

I want to be able to max all the WoW graphics settings and get a decent framerate on the 24" ACD . . . possibly even the future 30" LED ACD.

It seems I would pay alot for an MBP 17" for 2 cores, when I could pay a little more for a Mac Pro and get 8 cores, plus the ability to open up the Mac Pro for future updates of hard drives/RAM/Graphics cards . . .

It seems I may be crazy for considering the Mac Pro . . .

Just kicking around ideas . . .

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
I would just wait until the new iMacs come out and then get the top of the line. WOW does not require a MacPro and the 24" screen of the iMac is still pretty big.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Any of the current models (iMac, Macbook, whatever) will run WoW at max or very near max setting without any hiccups. You certainly don't need a Mac Pro with 8 cores and a top of the line GPU to run that game.. i'd almost actually consider it a waste.

My wife plays on a new macbook with the 9400M GPU with all settings max and has no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.