Best deal ever!!! Why buy AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeek03, Jun 15, 2009.

1. MacGeek03 macrumors newbie

I have a :apple: iPhone 3G and I know for most who purchased their 3G last year on launch day your warranty is coming up....So I am sure you are thinking hmmm should I get AppleCare to protect me for the next year. Negative. I just insured my :apple: iPhone 3G through State Farm and it is costing me $30 annually with no deductibles. It protects me from Damage, Loss, or Theft. It is seriously the best deal around. Just an FYI for you peeps out there!:)

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

thanks ill check it out... do you have to have insurance with the already or can u just get iphone insurance

3. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

But doesn't protect you against manufacturer defects? I don't think you can beat the ability to walk into an apple store and getting help right there and then.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

....and it doesn't offer the same service that AppleCare does. They are complimentary services, not interchangeable. Warranty != insurance.

You don't get any Apple support service, and you probably don't even get a replacement phone should anything go bad on it. I'm assuming they just give you cash? You'll be going to Ebay unless you want to pay AT&T more to upgrade your line or get a contract-free iPhone.

5. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

Manufacturer defects would probably be damage. The ability to get it replaced on the spot is nice though. I know most platinum credit card extends manufacturer's warranty an extra year, plus I replace stuff on my own way too often to make Applecare worthwhile.

6. Lou142 macrumors member

Insurance

I too would like to know whether one has to have insurance with State Farm to receive coverage for their phone. In addition, it be interesting to see if other insurance companies provide similar coverage - would it be through homeowner's/renter's insurance???

As for applecare coverage, I can only assume that its iphone coverage would involve no hassle for the user if and when something happened to the phone, and the user needed to bring the phone into an apple store.

7. MacGeek03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well defects would be damage. So your covered. You just insure your phone for the unsubsidized price of $599 or $699 for others. Depending what you get. They send you a check and you go buy a new iPhone if something should happen. That is my only policy with State Farm also.

If you do so happen to have to make a claim you go buy your iPhone and you automatically get another standard year of AppleCare support. So if you have problems within that year you can go through Apple and not State Farm.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

WHAT?! Thats awesome! I already see people getting their iPhones "stolen". (stolen on ebay that is!) hahaha :)

9. jason72780 macrumors regular

I had the insurance on my iPhone through state farm and a few months later cracked my screen. I made 3 payments of $2.50 and got a check to get it replaced. A few days later I got a letter saying my policy was being dropped. It was good but, at least in my case, a one time thing.

10. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

insurance fraud.....

11. jason72780 macrumors regular

If your phone gets stolen a police report has to get filed in order to file a claim. Just my opinion but insurance fraud and filing a false report are not worth it.

12. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

i can see it now...he is sitting in jail "why are you here?" "I tried to sell an iPhone on ebay" " what's an iPhone?... oh you dropped the soap" :D

13. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

This is another good point. You may get $$ for a defective phone once, but AppleCare will replace your iPhone 20 times if they have to. Idea scenario would be both plans obviously.

14. gwfattwkr macrumors member

Bogus

i am calling bogus on the state farm iphone insurance, until i get a link or something

15. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah both would be ideal, since accidental damage is covered under insurance, but not Apple Care.

17. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Yes.. what's AND iPhone?

18. gwfattwkr macrumors member

19. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I'm thinking you added your phone to your home owners policy as I can't see State Farm even sending one out for just a 30.00 phone policy.

The big problem I see with this is- if you do turn in a claim, it will haunt you for YEARS when trying to get another policy... costing you hundreds more on your home owers for years after....

Applecare does not cover theft or damage... and your policy is not going to cover hardware problems with the phone.. so you really need both!

Not worth it....

20. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

thanks!

21. jason72780 macrumors regular

I also talked with them for over an hour explaining that yes the touch screen still worked, but there were raised sections of broken glass that I could possibly get cut on. I doubt they would cut a check for "my switch to turn it to vibrate broke off".

22. jason72780 macrumors regular

I had renters and auto insurance through them and added my phone on a seperate personal articles policy. So it wasn't added to homeowners or another policy. And after I did my claim only the personal articles policy got dropped and no price change on the others

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I called the other day about this they told me they used too insure cell phones but not no more at least in Tx they don't anymore. They said they were losing money on this type of insurance but if you already had the policy before the changes took effect you could still add phones too it. But it doesn't hurt to call in your area and see what they say.

24. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

If you have an American Express card you will get protection for free. That's a nice thing. :)

25. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Where in the world does this concept of Manufacturing Defect = Damage come from?