Best deals on "Classic" MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Etrain, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I, like many others here, found myself shocked on October 14 with the new MBP. Since the previous generation MBPs are such quality machines (aside from the GPU problem which Apple has responsibly addressed), I'm now looking into buying a MBP Classic. But, where are the best deals to be had? Here are the options I have found so far.

Apple:
    $1399 with EDU discount for 2.4Ghz 15"
    + FREE printer ($100)
    + $100 tax (approximate)
    = $1499 with printer

Amazon:
    $1444 total

MacMall:
    $1449 total

MacConnection:
    $1449 total

Anyone know anything I'm missing?

Thanks! :cool:

2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

You can buy one off eBay using the Live.com 30% cashback promotion. Other than that I would go with the Amazon.com deal. You have a generous 30 day return policy and will be able to get an exchange easily if you need it.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal. Finally upgrading from my 1.5GHz G4! :)

4. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

I too just went with Amazon.

My new MBP Classic 2.4Ghz will be here tomorrow! I signed up for the free trial of Prime and expedited the shipping to Same Day for $4.

I'm so excited! This will be my first notebook! :D

And to think only last week at this time my new MBP Classic was $2,000. I saved $500 - Sweet lovens! :apple:

5. supermax217 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Amazon.com is autorized reseller for APPLE? In past I read something about they're not autorized reseller for ipod or itouch so just curious.

BTW I brought mine from APPLE.com $1500 with tax n shiped MBP classic.

6. aviddk macrumors regular

Another one who fell for the Amazon deal here. My wife is finally going to have her first :apple: computer. She was quick to adopt the iPod but hasn't been ready to bite into an :apple: computer until now. We paid $15 dollars for shipping and it will be here Friday. She is stoked!

7. aviddk macrumors regular

Yes

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Been bragging about my deal to anyone who will listen.

5 month old MBP 2.4 w/ multitouch. 2 gig ram, 200 GB HD.

1350 buy it now on ebay - 200 for live cash back (max 200) - 100 for ebay coupon 10% off

Total 1050 shipped.

I cant wait, it was a no brainer for me to buy, as before I was debating the refurb MBP (1500) vs new macbook (1499), then saying well its only 400 more for the new MBP.

Im can't wait for it to get here.

9. raz32 macrumors newbie

Link?

Can anyone provide a link to a good deal on Amazon? I'm looking for a NEW fifteen inch 'classic' MBP - I want to make sure it's the last version that came out before the new ones if possible. Would this be it? Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB133LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224782346&sr=8-1

Is the warranty still valid on this? Can you still add Apple care? This could be too good of a deal to pass up - The new ones do NOTHING for me.

10. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Raz:

Yes, that one you linked to is the latest before the new design. There is also a 2.5Ghz model if you would prefer.

Also, check out eBay. There are many on there for CHEAP after the $200 cash back from live.com. I canceled my Amazon order for the eBay deal which ended up costing $1300 total with shipping on a brand new MBP 2.4Ghz Classic - the same as the one you linked to.

Good luck! :D

11. raz32 macrumors newbie

Would this be the right Apple Care to buy? Is there a better deal somewhere else? I think I like buying from Amazon vs. Ebay (going to take them up on 12month 0%) ..... Just need to find AppleCare info and I'm pulling trigger!

http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224787546&sr=8-3

12. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

That's the right one. I would highly recommend buying the Apple Care from eBay though. If you would rather buy the MBP from Amazon, but the AC can be had so much cheaper on eBay. I saw some yesterday for $250 and then you can get a rebate with live.com.

13. raz32 macrumors newbie

OK, last two questions. Does this have the GLOSSY or MATTE finish? Is there a way to choose? Don't see one and I prefer MATTE. Also, I'm down with the EBAY thing for AC but how does Live.com work? It seems confusing. THANKS!!!!

14. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

15. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

The one you linked to from Amazon is the matte screen. It says under the technical specifics. I don't think they are offering the glossy version.

Here is how you can use the live.com discount:

1. Visit live.com
    2. Type in Apple Care
    3. Click on the link for eBay at the top left of the page under Sponsored Sites
    4. When in eBay search for Apple Care for MacBook Pro (make certain its for the Pro model)
    5. To get the discount you must use Pay Pal and Buy It Now. You must also after buying sign up for a Microsoft Live account.

I'm showing one for $209 plus $52.25 discount from Live. So AC for $156.75. Can't beat it.

Here is even further information about live.com discounts:
    http://search.live.com/cashback/howToUse
    http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html

I have $200 coming for the MBP. I'm planning on adding AC once I receive the MBP. :)

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

how

how did you find that deal? Does one search only for BIN deals?

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Go to live.com. Search for MacBook pro. Top hit will be ebay. Haveto use buy it now, no auctions. Get the cash 2 months later. Thecoupon was in my messages.

Kellen

18. raz32 macrumors newbie

Pulled the trigger. Thanks for all the advice! Opted for next day shipping so I'll have to setup all weekend! So psyched!

19. Droogan Leader macrumors newbie

Thankfully this thread came up, I was about make the exact same one.

I'm torn between the new 2.4 MBP, upped 2.4 MB or older MBP 2.5, and I'm starting to lean towards the older 2.5 model.

How long does the live.com offer last? Should I hurry up and buy?

20. raz32 macrumors newbie

21. raz32 macrumors newbie

22. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

I'm not sure how long they will be providing that. Apparently it has been going on since the summer though.

23. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Raz:

Did you get it? Mine is arriving tomorrow Priority Mail. I'm super excited! :D

24. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

I got my new NBP classic today in the mail! I 'm in love! This thing is a real screamer, as Steve would say! :) I'm very impressed!

Sadly, my iMac G5 hard drive died apparently today! So while the MBP classic made my day sweet, the iMac G5 problem hampered it a bit.

25. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Get mine Tuesday, can't wait. I even have the whole day off to get acquainted with it