Best Desk Laptop Stand for Macbook Pro 15"

niele

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
hawaii
I have a podium coolpad for both macs and really love them but my 15" mbp seems to hang off the sides a bit so just ordered my ilap for a good solid fit (and it looks nice, too) I will miss the swivel of the coolpad but hey, I'm getting a wrist pad on a cool looking stand ..... :p

klharper

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
My view stands:
Most pointless, useless, money-sapping accessory. Ever.

Get creative and make it yourself. Or get a cookie cooling rack and put it on top of something nice.

fad115

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I almost orderd the MStand im absolutly in love with it. The only problem is when i wanted to order i saw the shipping price. Its even more then the stand alone. The stand is about 49 dollar and the shipping 52 dollar. Thats 101 dollar means about 70 euro. Now im thinking about buying an cheaper stand, because money is running low after my 2.4mbp, moshi bag and wristpad and my WD mybook pro 500GB.

Altho i understand why the shipping is so much. Its international shipping for a stand you cant fold, so the box should be pretty big. So if i cant find the MStand around europe for a resenable price, i think im going for the griffin stand eventho i dont think it looks nice.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
My view stands:

Get creative and make it yourself. Or get a cookie cooling rack and put it on top of something nice.
Ever? Wow...that's pretty bold. But at least you're honest :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
We all use iBook laptops in the company I work at, no desktops. Someone pointed out that UK health and safety laws require that we provide something more suitable for desk work (fair enough, don't want to cripple the staff), so we've just brought one of these to test out.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Accessories/Computer+Stands/Computer+Stands/411/230306174/Product.aspx

It's not very beautiful, and it's not very mac-like, but it does the job of bringing the screen up to eye-level.

A massive pro is the 4 port USB hub on the back - it gives somewhere permanent to plug in the USB flash drive, the mouse, external keyboard, printer and other junk. It's a powered hub with a mains lead, but I found it can also be used unpowered (mouse keyboard etc still work, tho the instructions don't mention this possiblity).

Pretty adjustable too, with different levels of height possible. Gives easy access to front and side optical drives. (there's a retainer on the front that hinges down.)

Cons - expensive, big, nowhere to slot the external keyboard when not in use (unlike say, the Griffin iCurve, which has its own issues)

Some of the staff love it anyway, and it works with MBPs too, so we'll probably buy a few more.

ifmihai

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
My view stands:

finally, the first answer matching my point of view,

:))

Lisa89

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I just bought the raindesign mstand a few hours ago. Was a bit sceptical because i wanted something to cool my laptop at the same time. I must say i'm very suprised! I'm very happy with my purchase.

This morning i was using word at the library (no hard work), and my mbp was making the noise like it wanted to fly away. Now, i'm using it at my desk with the mstand and... no noise! The cpu heat has gone down from 78 to around 60. Its exterior is cooler than when i use my bluelounge coolfeet. (also nice to have when you want to work out the door in a more ergonomical position!)

I prefer this stand over the griffin elevator, just because it is more sturdy. I know my clumsy self, a sturdy stand is worth the extra money.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
If you're going to use an external keyboard and mouse, the mStand is a great option. I have one and love it.

PROS:
  • High-quality anodized aluminum is a perfect match for the MacBook Pro.
  • Raises display to a comfortable viewing height.
  • Additional circulation around bottom of computer improves cooling.
  • Cable management cutout keeps everything neat and organized.
  • Very sturdy/solid. Will last for years.
CONS:
  • Not very portable.
  • Somewhat more expensive than other solutions.
I use this also. Amazing stand.