Best display For Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Slimdude22, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Slimdude22 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new display for my mac pro. I have the 8800 nvidia and Im wondering what would look best with it. I use my computer for graphic design as well as a media center and i'm looking for something that can make movies look great and that sort of thing. Preferably with a webcam if possible. I know apple will likely be releasing one at san fran convention but will it be worth it to shell out the extra cash?

2. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

3. Trip.Tucker Guest

LMMFAO @ FTMFW - that most definitely pwns my dual 20's!!

@OP - I would suggest the matte displays over the glossy displays (aka "Ow my eyes")

4. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Just wait and see. I have ACD 30" and I couldn't be happier. I will only sell it if Apple releases something ultra better otherwise I'm sticking with this one as it is truly amazing screen.

5. JollyRogers macrumors regular

Just got a cheap arse Samsung Sycmaster 2343bwx. It's their new 23" 16:9 monitor that does 2048x1152. $259 @Costco. Not for photo editing etc, but works well for me just doing hobby videos, movies, games and coding. I was going to get a 23" ACD from BB, but the price for what I use it for wasn't justified. PLus this monitor exactly fits into the monitor slot on my desk :D

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Dell Ultrasharp, HP business displays, NECs, Cinema Display… take your pic. i would suggest getting a TFT display rather than TN.

the Apple LED Displays are mini display port so dont get them… if you want an Apple display to match our Mac Pro get a Cinema Display.

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I went cheap. :D

Picked up a 22" Gateway HD2200 (glossy) at TigerDirect for $199 a few months ago, and I'm planning on purchasing another 22" (like an Acer or Hanns-G) for Christmas. They've really come down in price, though, considering what they were a number of months ago.

However, if you've got the cash, I suggest getting the 30" or 20" Apple Cinema Display. Don't go for that new one- too expensive and it's a little ugly, IMO.

8. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

All I had was $300 so I got a Dell S2409W (via ebay, list at $350). Love it. Matte screen, Full HD 1920 x 1080, HDMI. Good solid design.

Attached Files:

9. Slimdude22 thread starter macrumors member

it seems like most of you opted to not buy apple, and when there are cheaper ones out there it makes sense. the samsung looks good, but I couldn't live with myself if i bought a dell...maybe their screens are better but i dont trust them :D. as far as quality they are all made somewhere in asia anyway right? So I think i may end up going with a samsung.

Thanks guys appreciate your advice :)

10. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display (aluminium) and I find that to be more than adequate for most arty farty nonsense.

11. smogsy macrumors 6502a

12. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

13. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

In many cases the insides are the same. With Apple you are paying premium for the design and external materials. In some cases the Apple product is worth it. In this case, large monitors, I don't think so. For me, the extra money goes to programs, hard drives, more ram. Next to the Dell is my old 20" Acer.

Attached Files:

14. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

30" ACD here. It was a gift from my wife. I am a graphic designer and supposedly the panels used in these things are the best for color, etc.

I'm cheap though, I told her not to get it. :D

(I love it btw, it's amazing).

15. Slimdude22 thread starter macrumors member

Ive noticed some displays say certified for windows vista. does that mean that the picture quality wouldn't be as good on a mac?

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No it's purely to do with marketing.

17. hajime macrumors 68030

HP w2448hc

I have been using this 24" monitor with a PC for about three months. It looks great. Moreover, it has two input ports. This is convenience if your MacPro has two video cards.

18. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

Go with Apple all the way!! Buy a 30" ACD or the new display that they just released. I am sure you will not be dissapointed.

19. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Nope. The new one's won't work with a Mac Pro. The have a MiniDisplayPort plug.

Don't get any of the Apple Monitors. the 20/30 inchers DONT support HDCP, so you if ever add a BD drive, you're toast.

I have a Dell 2408 and it is amazing. HDMI, Dual DVI,D-sub, DisplayPort, Composite, Component, and S-Video for uner 600 bucks. 1080p with HDCP glory. I love it. I use it for color correction w/ apple color w/ a Matrox MXO which converts the RGB signal to YUV.

INMO, ACD's are overpriced and no HDCP=Bummer.

20. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Not to be a nitpicker, but all modern LCDs are TFT (thin film transistor) displays. I think you meant TN (twisted nematic) versus better (but more expensive) TFT panel technologies such as IPA and IPS and their many derivatives.

21. tonyl macrumors 6502

Wait Macworld09 to see if any new display are released..

22. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have been very pleased with my NEC 2490 which is an IPS display. The 2690 won a product award at MacWorld last year.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm a very proud owner of two 30" ACD's. Sure they're slightly might expensive compared to the Dell counterpart, if you've not gotten student discount (via a friend, thx) biut you do get the whole Aluminium look throughout the entire set plus the colour accuracy is pretty much spot on!

I do have BluRay drive but I won't be missing any movies.. besides, watching movies in the living room with a full home AV theatre and leather seats can't be beaten. Beats sitting in the studio next to piles of work!

24. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Yup...NEC 2690WUXi is amazing!

25. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Definitely bling but highly impractical for 90% of the time. I have one 30" and it's sometimes overwhelming as is; can't imagine another one.