Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoG506

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
I was using sparrow but it takes soooo long to reload/update emails. I am now looking for a new email app to use. I use yahoo.

any recommendation? doesn't matter if app is free or not. Thanks!

Anlino

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
I don't think that you are going to find any faster alternatives than Sparrow and Mail. That's the downside using local apps – they're slower than using Yahoo Mail/Gmail in a browser.

When it comes to functionality and usability, I think that Sparrow is best in breed, so that's my recommendation.

KoG506

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
I don't think that you are going to find any faster alternatives than Sparrow and Mail. That's the downside using local apps – they're slower than using Yahoo Mail/Gmail in a browser.

When it comes to functionality and usability, I think that Sparrow is best in breed, so that's my recommendation.

I was using sparrow but when i refresh it , it takes a very long time to get the new mails. or sometimes it down't get any new email at all.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes, I do not like it. takes too long to download emails and doesn't check for new emails even if I manually go to the "check new email" tab.

That is not normal behaviour for the Mac Mail App. Must either be a problem with the mail settings, your connection or your mail provider. Mail is about the quickest Mail App there is on the Mac, and if you are getting the same problem with another client then it must be something else other than the App.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Yes, I do not like it. takes too long to download emails and doesn't check for new emails even if I manually go to the "check new email" tab.

I agree that this isn't normal.

Personally, I've used thunderbird, sparrow and postbox, and I think they're all good alternatives.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 190

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
what is the consensus on PostBox?
from the outside looks attractive.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
what is the consensus on PostBox?
from the outside looks attractive.

I switched to PostBox about a month ago or so, and so far I really like it. Prior to that I was using Sparrrow and Thunderbird and I think both of those were great as well, but since both announced that they would not continue updating their apps I started looking around for alternatives. One feature that I really like with PostBox is their Evernote integration, it's really easy to convert an email into a note. Thunderbird has a better laid out search function, but the PB search function is sufficient for me at the moment. You can also link to DropBox files, rather than sending attachments, which is quite useful if you are collaborating with others but want to avoid multiple versions of a document.

I think they have a free trial version that you can check out before you buy.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I switched to PostBox about a month ago or so, and so far I really like it. ...

The free version of PostBox is Thunderbird. Why anyone would actually pay for PostBox when Thunderbird is free is beyond me.

KoG506

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
Thank you all for suggestions & opinion! I am going to try out "Inky". looks attractive, hopefully the functionality is good.

peixesloucos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Brussels
I still keep using Sparrow. Even if no updates are foreseen I think it is really good. Do you think it will have problems in the future?

I switched to PostBox about a month ago or so, and so far I really like it. Prior to that I was using Sparrrow and Thunderbird and I think both of those were great as well, but since both announced that they would not continue updating their apps I started looking around for alternatives. One feature that I really like with PostBox is their Evernote integration, it's really easy to convert an email into a note. Thunderbird has a better laid out search function, but the PB search function is sufficient for me at the moment. You can also link to DropBox files, rather than sending attachments, which is quite useful if you are collaborating with others but want to avoid multiple versions of a document.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I still keep using Sparrow. Even if no updates are foreseen I think it is really good. Do you think it will have problems in the future?

Eventually some change in the OS will break it, so if you want to keep your OS up to date then it will have problems eventually. If you're fine with running an older OS then you can keep running it as long as you want without problems.

peixesloucos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Brussels
That makes sense. I am still on 10.7.5 and I do not think I will upgrade soon. This 2011 Late MBP 15'' is my first mac. What I like from Sparrow is the easy way to manage tags. Does the alternatives have such capability? With managing I mean color labeling (tags) the emails and also viewing them by one click.

Eventually some change in the OS will break it, so if you want to keep your OS up to date then it will have problems eventually. If you're fine with running an older OS then you can keep running it as long as you want without problems.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
That makes sense. I am still on 10.7.5 and I do not think I will upgrade soon. This 2011 Late MBP 15'' is my first mac. What I like from Sparrow is the easy way to manage tags. Does the alternatives have such capability? With managing I mean color labeling (tags) the emails and also viewing them by one click.

PostBox has been pretty good with my gmail labels. They have a free trial if you'd like to try it out.

peixesloucos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
Brussels
Thank you, I am trying it. Perhaps I should direct it to their forums but what I actually find convenient on Sparrow is clicking on label sign and then a list of all labels are shown. I have not find this on PostBox.

PostBox has been pretty good with my gmail labels. They have a free trial if you'd like to try it out.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
A new one called Inky. http://inky.com/
Found Inky through a Google search for the best gmail client.

Ive been switching between Mail and Sparrow for years now.. Mail was just not cutting it lately. It never really played well between itself and my Android handset (whatever one at the time)

Inky looks to be just what i want... Simple, sexy, user friendly.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I currently have Airmail, there is a beta version which is free and a paid version on the app store. I moved to Airmail after seeing that Sparrow was not longer developped.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've tried PostBox, Sparrow, Unibox, and (of course) Apple Mail for my 7 or so Gmail / Google Apps accounts. Unfortunately I quickly found that all of them suck. They all use RAM like there's no tomorrow, and the database files quickly filled my MBA's SSD.

I've given up and started using the web interface for everything.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Postbox vs MailPlane Email Clients

Postbox vs MailPlane Email Clients

I miss Eudora, the real Euduora. Primarily what I liked is that I did not have to look at every message I got, but Eudora would still inform me of how many new messages I had since the last session, not just 1000 unread messages. Please understand that I get tons of standard email notifications from retailers and such. I don't look at every one but often keep them for some period of time before deleting them.

I have no idea if this characteristic still can be found in an email client. I have yet to find one. And since abandoning Eudora, I find that I don't check my email as religiously as I once did, which brings up this post.

I use Gmail online, I really like how it is organized, but I'd prefer to keep copies of these messages on my computer, and preferably access it from an email client on my computer which brings up Postbox ($10) and MailPlane ($25). I want them to mimic Gmail. I see that Gmail labels work in them and I am currently checking out Postbox.

Postbox- What I don't see when I check a message in the inbox, that I know has a label assigned to it, is the label itself as it appears when using gmail online. This becomes an issue for the messages I'm not sure have labels assigned to them, so I can easily verify if a label is assigned or not.

For anyone familiar with Postbox, is there a way to make assigned labels appear on the message itself vs just having the message appear in the proper assigned label folder? Thanks!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I used nothing but Mail.app forever. I tried everything and I didn't like anything else until I tried Airmail.

willtothewong

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I too am looking for a good email client.

I used to use Thunderbird and Outlook (for mac). Both were good but something about them did not work as well as the browser. Perhaps there is nothing than can come close to using Gmail except using a browser.

I like the idea of having all my contacts/calendars/email in one client which is why I liked Thunderbird and Outlook for those features but turns out they were too "slow" for my liking.

Inkly looks good but I do not like the idea of having my password stored on their servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.