Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdh8585

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Tennessee
Those of you that use a folio case which ones are you getting for your XS Max?

I’ve never had a folio case but wouldn’t mind trying a few out.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My ideal folio case would have:
  1. Magnet on the cover for triggering auto "Lock/Unlock" (automatically lock and unlock your iPhone when you close and open the iPhone cover)
  2. Magnetic latch for securely closing the cover
  3. Fully enclosed card slot to prevent credit card scratching the screen
  4. Compatible with wireless charging
  5. Detachable cover so that the phone can be used with a car dock
  6. Protects the phone's bottom
  7. Metallic buttons
  8. Relatively thin and light
I've looked at several, only the well known brands:
None of these cases have detachable cover.

It seems auto lock/unlock feature is exclusive to Apple's case. And if you can swallow the price, it meets most of my criteria, except magnetic latch (#2), detachable cover (#5), and protection for the bottom (#6).

While Spigen is affordable, I liked it least of all because of (1) extended magnetic flap and (2) exposed card slot.

Neither NOMAD nor Speck specify magnetic latch. But Otterbox definitely does.

Reactions: darrinS and cdh8585

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
  1. Magnet on the cover for triggering auto "Lock/Unlock" (automatically lock and unlock your iPhone when you close and open the iPhone cover)
  7. Metallic buttons

It seems auto lock/unlock feature is exclusive to Apple's case. And if you can swallow the price, it meets most of my criteria, except magnetic latch (#2), detachable cover (#5), and protection for the bottom (#6).

While Spigen is affordable, I liked it least of all because of (1) extended magnetic flap and (2) exposed card slot.

If you don't need a card slot, this folio has some of the features you want. (1, 2, 4, 8) I know this won't be good for you because too much of the phone is exposed, but others may like it. Vaja Cases Folio

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
  7. Metallic buttons

Auto Sleep/wake is not exclusive to Apple case. I have a Zover detachable magnetic case on my X and it has this feature. Unfortunately they don't have this case listed for the Max yet.

On the Amazon listing the Speck case says it has the sleep/wake feature:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT3QSCF/ref=twister_B07HGQJBSV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered one from Speck yesterday. If it does not have this feature it will go back.

Reactions: nutmac

Greatniss

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2018
https://www.burkleycase.com/magneti...for-apple-iphone-xs-max-antique-golden-brown/

Should be picking this up tomorrow.

7. Metallic buttons

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
  7. Metallic buttons

I forgot to thank you for this post, especially the list of folios you looked at. I had never seen the Speck folio before but really like the features and the look on the website. I ordered it yesterday with 15% discount because it was my first order. I know that they make quality cases so my hopes are high for this. I should have it on Saturday and my max arrives supposedly on Monday.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I forgot to thank you for this post, especially the list of folios you looked at. I had never seen the Speck folio before but really like the features and the look on the website. I ordered it yesterday with 15% discount because it was my first order. I know that they make quality cases so my hopes are high for this. I should have it on Saturday and my max arrives supposedly on Monday.
I also ordered the Speck Folio yesterday and also got the 15% off for my first order. Got a shipping notice today and it should be delivered Monday.
[doublepost=1537472747][/doublepost]
I confirmed with Burkley that the case does not have auto sleep/wake. They said it would affect the credit cards, but I've seen other folio cases that have it and don't warn about affecting CCs. From my X, i know that Apple's folio case does have a note included that the CC magnetic strip should be closest to the hinge and not the outside edge of the case.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I just went with the Speck Presidio Folio a minute ago after returning my Apple Folio this morning. Thanks! I hope this one works out!

Price already has me feeling better! After promo code, it was $44 shipped. :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I just went with the Speck Presidio Folio a minute ago after returning my Apple Folio this morning. Thanks! I hope this one works out!

Price already has me feeling better! After promo code, it was $44 shipped. :)
Speck really seems to be the frontrunner this time around. Great price. Great protection. Sleep/Wake. The only thing I am not sure is their latch system.

Apple doesn't have any, so probably still way better value all around. The only thing that's going for Apple is thinnest and lightest.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I received the Speck Folio today. Thank you to Speck and the much improved USPS. Only took one day to arrive. I live about 2 hours away from San Diego where it was shipped from. Unfortunately I won’t have my Max till Monday :(, so I can’t speak to fit and feel. Amazingly the folio is pretty thin and minimalistic. Very light weight. I set it right next to the Appple Folio (that most likely will be returned) and it was just slightly thicker. I really like the little card slot and the fact that it can fold into a stand. I don’t know if it does sleep/wake. The cover folds flat but doesn’t seem to have any type of closure. However, since the case itself fully protects the phone, in a fall it shouldn’t matter if the cover opens. I hope it is easy to put the iPhone in and out. I hate cases where I feel like I’m going to break the phone if I want to remove it. The only other thing that I hope is the buttons are easy to press in. The buttons are a grippy rubber. My impression is that this is a keeper. I’ll be curious to see others impressions, especially if they have a phone to place in it.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I received the Speck Folio today. Thank you to Speck and the much improved USPS. Only took one day to arrive. I live about 2 hours away from San Diego where it was shipped from. Unfortunately I won’t have my Max till Monday :(, so I can’t speak to fit and feel. Amazingly the folio is pretty thin and minimalistic. Very light weight. I set it right next to the Appple Folio (that most likely will be returned) and it was just slightly thicker. I really like the little card slot and the fact that it can fold into a stand. I don’t know if it does sleep/wake. The cover folds flat but doesn’t seem to have any type of closure. However, since the case itself fully protects the phone, in a fall it shouldn’t matter if the cover opens. I hope it is easy to put the iPhone in and out. I hate cases where I feel like I’m going to break the phone if I want to remove it. The only other thing that I hope is the buttons are easy to press in. The buttons are a grippy rubber. My impression is that this is a keeper. I’ll be curious to see others impressions, especially if they have a phone to place in it.

Mine has been delivered and I will try it out on my XS Max when I get home. Really hoping it has the sleep/wake feature. It was not on the listing on the Speck product page. It was included in the product description for the leather folio on Amazon, but was not mentioned in the description for the non-leather folio. I found a product listing for last year's iPhone X version on another website that said only the leather version has the sleep/wake magnets.

Guess I'll find out when I get home and will report back to everyone.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Well I got home and tried the case. Unfortunately the cover does not wake/sleep the screen. So disappointed, but it is still a nice case. Card slot fits exactly 3 credit cards. Business cards don’t fit which is kind of a bummer (I guess I could trim an 1/8 of an inch and they would fit). Buttons are very responsive and work well. Stand function works well too. Does not add too much bulk to the phone but offers good protection. I guess I’m going to keep it for now until my perfect case comes along. If it had the sleep/wake feature this would have been the one. The search continues...

Last edited:
Reactions: darrinS and nutmac

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Well I got home and tried the case. Unfortunately the cover does not wake/sleep the screen. So disappointed, but it is still a nice case. Card slot fits exactly 3 credit cards. Business cards don’t fit which is kind of a bummer (I guess I could trim an 1/8 of an inch and they would fit). Buttons are very responsive and work well. Stand function works well too. Does not add too much bulk to the phone but offers good protection. I guess I’m going to keep it for now until my perfect case comes along. If it had the sleep/wake feature this would have been the one. The search continues...
So I have been using the Speck Folio for a day. Bummed like you that it doesn’t have the sleep/wake function. But I still like it. I used the Apple Folio for a year with my X and I have a brand new one here sitting in the box, probably on its way back to Apple. On the Speck I like how the front cover is rigid. It lays flat even with 3 cards in the slot and somehow stays shut. The Apple Folio is very nice but the front flap is flimsy, especially if you don’t carry anything in it. It does lay flat but when throwing in a bag or backpack, the cover doesn’t stay closed perfectly. I’m keeping the Speck for sure.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I've been using it since last night and I like it too. You are right about the cover on the Apple folio - I had it for my X last year too and it flopped all over the place. Also I overloaded it with too many cards and the impression of the cards showed through the front cover. I like the rigidity of the Speck cover. It provides impact protection for the screen. Overall the Speck case provides a lot of protection in a slim profile. The leather on the Apple case was much nicer, but it was also more than twice as expensive. I also would up getting an saddle brown Apple case (non-folio) to use when I want minimal protection. The patina case thread made me want it so I broke down and purchased it over the weekend. I may go for another folio case in the future if I can find a nice one with detachable magnetic case and sleep/wake, but for now the Speck will be my daily driver I spend too much on this stuff, especially since I will wind up upgrading again next year through IUP!!!

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I've been using it since last night and I like it too. You are right about the cover on the Apple folio - I had it for my X last year too and it flopped all over the place. Also I overloaded it with too many cards and the impression of the cards showed through the front cover. I like the rigidity of the Speck cover. It provides impact protection for the screen. Overall the Speck case provides a lot of protection in a slim profile. The leather on the Apple case was much nicer, but it was also more than twice as expensive. I also would up getting an saddle brown Apple case (non-folio) to use when I want minimal protection. The patina case thread made me want it so I broke down and purchased it over the weekend. I may go for another folio case in the future if I can find a nice one with detachable magnetic case and sleep/wake, but for now the Speck will be my daily driver I spend too much on this stuff, especially since I will wind up upgrading again next year through IUP!!!
Oh, I have the same problem. I think I purchased at least a dozen cases for my X. Stupid. So far so good this time around. I ordered a Ideal of Sweden folio but cancelled it in time, ordered a Vaja Cases Folio but cancelled it after receiving the Speck Folio and liking it, and I have the Apple Folio still in the box and most likely being returned. I’m just waiting a few more days. I keep asking myself, “why can’t you just get one case and that’s it.” It’s a sickness I’m sure.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
  7. Metallic buttons

I used the APple folio with my X. Even though it didn’t lock closed, it did a great job of protecting my screen, and I did have several drops getting In/out of cars (so maybe 2-3 feet drops). My screen was pristine - the flap keeps it safe in a bag. I loved that it locked the phone - i miss that.

But it challenged my hold of the phone and I didn’t think it was viable for the larger Max. So I’m going to try a slip case from SFBags (aka Waterfield) that is sized to support the max with the apple leather case.

If there was a way to remove or firmly afix the flap to the back cover, I might give a folio a try. But I am spoiled but the quality of the Apple case - it just doesn’t show scratches and so nice to hold.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Any chance for some pics of this case ? Is it easy to take pics with it ?and it stays closed ?
Thanks

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
So, the leather Speck Presidio Folio for the Xs Max doesn't have auto sleep/wake, or were you guys using the non leather version? Because for the iPhone X, the Presidio Leather Folio had sleep/wake, while the regular Presidio Folio did not...

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Can you tell me is the flap sturdy ? Or can it bend easy , also is it extra hard to take pics ? Thanks

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
So, the leather Speck Presidio Folio for the Xs Max doesn't have auto sleep/wake, or were you guys using the non leather version? Because for the iPhone X, the Presidio Leather Folio had sleep/wake, while the regular Presidio Folio did not...
I have the Folio Leather and it unfortunately doesn't have the auto sleep/wake feature.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Can you tell me is the flap sturdy ? Or can it bend easy , also is it extra hard to take pics ? Thanks
The version for the iPhone X has an extremely sturdy front cover. It is one of my favorite cases for iPhone X. I don't find it interferes with picture taking. Don't know about the xs max version yet, however...

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
If you're asking about the Speck Presidio Folio Leather, the flap is sturdy, doesn't bend. I'm used to having a folio, so I don't have any trouble with taking pics. You just have to get used to it.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I have the Folio Leather and it unfortunately doesn't have the auto sleep/wake feature.
Wow, that is really disappointing! So sorry to hear that they removed that. I wonder why? I wonder if it is supposed to be an Apple exclusive feature? I always thought it was odd that Speck's US website did not advertise that feature for the iPhone X version, although some of the international Speck sites did, and Amazon as well, and the case clearly did have the capability...

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
If you're asking about the Speck Presidio Folio Leather, the flap is sturdy, doesn't bend. I'm used to having a folio, so I don't have any trouble with taking pics. You just have to get used to it.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Wow, that is really disappointing! So sorry to hear that they removed that. I wonder why? I wonder if it is supposed to be an Apple exclusive feature? I always thought it was odd that Speck's US website did not advertise that feature for the iPhone X version, although some of the international Speck sites did, and Amazon as well, and the case clearly did have the capability...

I just received the speck leather folio today in the mail and I can confirm it DOES NOT have the sleep/wake feature.

The case itself is actually beautiful. Sleek and Classic. The front flap is sturdy and not reason to believe you will see the card imprint on the front flap like the Apple Folio. At $44 shipped this folio is a must have.

IMG_0012.jpeg
IMG_0013.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg
IMG_0017.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.