Best for in class student use...Air/iPad ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by perryj, Feb 9, 2010.

1. perryj macrumors member

I'm a college student (I have 2 years left) and use my macbook for taking notes in class, I have been waiting for the iPad release to see if I could use it for taking in class notes.......I'm weighing getting either the next Air to come out or the ipad....
    any thoughts on which would be better to use in class (taking notes and surfing the web, and email would be primary uses) ? (use iMac at home)
    Thanks,
    JP

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since nobody here (with very few exceptions) has actually used an iPad, how would we answer your question? Does your MB work for you? Why wouldn't you just stick with it?

3. perryj thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an air, I have a macbook and it takes up too much space in my backpack, hence why the switch to either the MBA or pad...
    as for as an "answer", i'm just looking for thoughts/ideas/speculation on how the pad will work for note taking ?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Only problem I can think of with iPad is you can't stand it up on the desk to take notes I wouldn't want to hold that thing continuously. MBA is great for school.

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

What applications do you currently use for note taking on your MacBook?
    If just TextEdit or similar, iPad should be fine. The Notes app Apple showed was nearly identical to the iPhone version. If you use something more sophisticated like Word, OneNote, or Pages, you may want to wait and see what the App Store has in a few months to see if any meet your needs.

7. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a bigger bag?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Lack of multitasking could also be an issue.

9. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Taking notes with the iPad's onscrean keyboard sounds like a nightmare.

MBA sounds like a much better solution, in my opinion.

10. nateharr macrumors 6502

:eek:

See, now that makes far too much sense!

11. GottaLoveApple4 macrumors member

iPad...

I would and will no doubt be going with the iPad because there is bound to be a ton of third party applications that will let you either actually take notes on the iPad with a pogo stylus or your finger; also not to mention the software keyboard if you would rather use that. And hopefully by the time it launches as well, textbooks will be available on it so all you would have to carry around is the iPad for notes, media, internet, and textbooks. Then you won't have to get a bigger bag or carry a bag at all.:D:apple:

12. perryj thread starter macrumors member

yeah this is what I'm wondering..:(

13. perryj thread starter macrumors member

This is what I was hoping for prior to the unveiling !! :D

14. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I have the MBA and its great.
    I can draw vector images in Illustrator, edit large photos in Photoshop, give powerpoint presentations, edit word documents with Endnote functionality, and watch a little Hulu when bored.

Good luck with your iPad.
    I have a feeling that you'll be on Google's suite of apps a lot!

15. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

This is probably the biggest issue.

It's not a matter of if you get distracted, but when you get distracted. Since you'll have to quit whatever app you're using for notes, and then open your favorite distraction, you will have to quit your distraction then re-open the notes app if you need to write something down. By then, you might forget what you wanted to write down.

It's much easier to press Command-Tab and switch between programs.

16. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

If you type a lot: MacBook
    If you click a lot: iPad

For your use it sounds like you need to type.

17. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I don't understand how a MBP/ MB can be too big. The largest dimension is the same with the air. And the MacBooks are hardly thick.
    I take mine to all my lectures and have never had a problem with the weight or size.

18. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Given that the iPad has yet to be released, I doubt anyone can answer this question for you. I suggest waiting until Apple releases the iPad to retail stores and you can then try one out for yourself.

Habitus :apple:

19. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I would just wait till later next month and check out the iPad for yourself at your local Apple store. You can analyze all the features online and look at reviews but you won't know for sure unless you actually check it out for yourself in person.

20. GottaLoveApple4 macrumors member

You guys are too impatient...

I also wouldn't be surprised if iPhone OS 4.0 ran on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch and OS 3.2 is just a placeholder for the iPad launch to not let all the details about the iPhone in OS 4.0 be released prematurely. Then, OS 4.0 could have multitasking and a new interface for the iPhone and iPod touch, along with a new interface for the iPad as well. I highly doubt that Apple is just going to leave the iPad's interface that way with all the wasted space....:rolleyes:

21. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

Regardless of the OS, the iPad still won't have a keyboard. The software keyboard might do fine for a few sentences here and there - but certainly not for serious note-taking like a college student would need.

If you are going to use a computer to take down notes - you NEED a keyboard.

Maybe you should give some thought to a LiveScribe pen, which is compatible with the Mac?

22. Ann P macrumors 68020

MacBook Air is the practical choice here. Would be a pain to take notes on the iPad without a physical keyboard.

23. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm guessing pen and paper would be too much for you to carry as well. And obviously way under your budget.

24. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

thats what i did with my 15' mbp, got a massive back pack from maxpedition (great stuff, also 5.11 has great bags), needed the bag anyway, for my freaking massive text books

ya typing on a ipad looks retarded kinda like the macbook wheel ( onion news ).

all aside. an air would be nice. i really want one to lighten my pack up. but i have no option other than to lug my mbp due to being completely broke.

25. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I'd go for an air if I just had those 2 choices. My major turn off with the iPad is you cant write on it. It is supposed to be a tablet, am I right? No hand writing recognition? bah. was hoping it could be my all in one textbook and notebook and cheat device. I'd go out and get a Macbook Pro. Wait a few more weeks and get one with a core i5/i7. Love my MBP. Best computer I've ever had.