Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
avoid the ipad - you need to type fast, and a software keeboard just wont let you do this

avoid the air - you already have a macbook

Use your money on something more useful to you. Atm it seems as if you are buying for buying's sake

perryj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I'm guessing pen and paper would be too much for you to carry as well. And obviously way under your budget.

I do use pen and paper a lot, but I need the storage and filing options with digital notes ;-) as want to teach later on and will actually need access to some of my notes after school. I don't want to have 100 paper notebooks to sort through when I want to review a topic :D

Yes I have looked at the livescribe pen and was gonna to research how they work......

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
I'm after a similar thing (iPad for taking notes) - not a MBP vs. iPad issue, more the fact I know the iPad is more in line with what I want (for starters, it'll a) be silent and b) turn on instantly from standby)

But what I want to know, is whether the screen is right for using a stylus? (e.g. the POGO styluses) I would really prefer to actually write on it rather than type - not with handwriting recognition though (Because I tend to draw a lot of lines and diagrams. So just a 'pad' type application)

But yeah, that's the major thing I'm waiting to find out. If it'll work nicely with a stylus for drawing on, it's an instant buy (and either buy some app that'll allow me to do full-screen note taking, or code up my own)

To the funny people who say 'get pen and paper': Dunno about OP, but my course is computer science. Literally all the resources are online - except my notes. For going between home and uni. this is the most irritating thing in the world (because I can't count on the net for everything, I have to cart reels of paper to-and-thro)

iPad + our campus having wi-fi = Win. Heck, if I can get an app to output PNGs or TIFFs I can even upload to Google Docs the instant before I leave the lecture....

Pllleeease support styluses nicely Mr iPad! :)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Would a stylus or fingertip input style of note taking application on a capacitive touch screen like the iPad really be that great for use in class though? Has anyone actually tried writing with their fingertip? Open a doodle program and try to draw basic letters. I've tried, and had friends try, and they honestly don't end up too neat. Also, for long note taking sessions, is a stylus going to be much better? Most people that I've watched rest the side of their hand on the paper when they write. This can't be done on a capacitive screen device, as the device will pick up the charge in your hand and see it as just another input, and get confused between it and the stylus tip(try resting the side of your hand on your iPhone screen and moving around...it detects it just as it would your finger). Meaning you'd have to "hover" your hand off the screen while you write. This doesn't seem too comfortable for long writing sessions.

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
Also, for long note taking sessions, is a stylus going to be much better? Most people that I've watched rest the side of their hand on the paper when they write. This can't be done on a capacitive screen device, as the device will pick up the charge in your hand and see it as just another input, and get confused between it and the stylus tip(try resting the side of your hand on your iPhone screen and moving around...it detects it just as it would your finger). Meaning you'd have to "hover" your hand off the screen while you write. This doesn't seem too comfortable for long writing sessions.

If the stylus means I can actually write letters properly (vs. trying with my fingers which I guessed already would suck) surely it'd be possible to design the app in such a way to simulate the advantages of a better kind of touch screen?

For example, having the pad only half and half, and having a static panel / something which doesn't react to touch on the bottom half (to lean your hand on) and input on the top.

I've done Obj-C before, but never specifically for the iPhone (I don't own an iPhone or iPod touch) - if it receives touch/lean input for an element which doesn't do anything, does it try and do anything? (context menu maybe?) Or would it ignore it? Or will it mix up the two inputs and do nothing when writing?

If it can handle errant input (and ignore it appropriately on a static do-nothing UI element) and still allow writing, I'm definitely going to pick one of these up and see if I can dev. an app for it that works around the shortcomings of the screen (assuming I can write properly on it - hopefully the touch on it is slightly higher 'res' that a stylus can get away with a thinner nib.... but let's see I suppose)

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
asuming your macbook is about 2 years old now, you really do not need to replace it... the air will not save you all that much space in your backpack.. if your bag is really too small, the suggestion for a bigger backpack makes the most sense honestly.. save your money for when you really need a new machine, or for beer...

and if you really want to just buy something new then get an iPad and buy your textbooks on that, have your macbook and ipad, and your current backpack will work fine.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm after a similar thing (iPad for taking notes) - not a MBP vs. iPad issue, more the fact I know the iPad is more in line with what I want (for starters, it'll a) be silent and b) turn on instantly from standby)

a) my Macbook is virtually silent. It only ever makes a noise during heavy Photoshop or gaming sessions.
b) my Macbook boots instantly from sleep. Which is all I ever use (I don't think my Macbook has been "off" since I bought it in late 2008).

For university I'd say a MB or MBA would be the best, given you have the option to film on it, record easily (and share or convert), use any app (or maintstream OS) you want. I don't get what an iPad has over a MB or MBA at all.

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
a) my Macbook is virtually silent. It only ever makes a noise during heavy Photoshop or gaming sessions.
b) my Macbook boots instantly from sleep. Which is all I ever use (I don't think my Macbook has been "off" since I bought it in late 2008).

My MBP is essentially silent too - I suppose I was really referring to the same thing with the noise comment (startup noise + CD drive noise etc.). And leaving the machine on/asleep forever is not really practical for me (a nice clean reboot is desirable considering I spend most of my time polluting my machine by compiling and debugging)

It is really the turn on time from a cold boot that's key in my decision (any other tablet PC would be fine too... if I could get the 'instant on' quality of the iPad/iPhone)

I don't get what an iPad has over a MB or MBA at all.

Agreed (for the OP's situation at least)

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Are they still making/selling the modbook?

It was a true apple MacBook tablet, with onscreen full touch, handwriting recognition, etc. It came with a stylus, etc.

You might check that out.

It is my personal opinion that if you are going to write more than one or two sentences (which you would, if you are legitimately taking notes in class) you are going to want something better than the software keyboard that comes with the iPad.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
iPad + Bluetooth folding mini-keyboard = another possible solution.

I must agree with the others about typing; it's better done with a physical keyboard. iPad's on-screen virtual keyboard probably won't do well beyond a few sentences. If you'll remember the iPad announcement, one of the accessories revealed was a combination iPad stand/keyboard, and Pages (from iWork) would be available as a standalone app for $10. I don't think that Apple would have announced those accessories if the company expected everyone to use the on-screen keyboard.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
I find that using a laptop is much more of a negative than positive in class...you just can't resist the urge to surf the internet

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I find that using a laptop is much more of a negative than positive in class...you just can't resist the urge to surf the internet

Might be true for a lot of people, but if used correctly a laptop is a very nice way to take notes.

I took awhile before I got a hang of it, but now i can type chemical formulas, math formulas and statistics faster on my computer than with pen and paper.
Often couldn't exactly see what I typed and made small error in math formulas, with mathtype I never have that problem anymore!
Be prepared for really long key commandoes to type greek letters in math and other mathematical symbols, but once you have a hang of it you'll do it without thinking at all.

I can imagine, with the right applications, that iPad could be a really good notetaker with stylus and a mathtype-like application.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I don't see the ipad as useful for students. I guess you can read books, but can you highlight them? Typing doesn't look like it is going to be the easiest thing, but it may be. Plus no multitasking seems to kill a lot of uses, ie looking at a presentation in class, but having to look something up on the internet at the same time.

The only benefit I see to using a tablet is if you can draw on powerpoint presentations and elsewhere to take notes.

I would wait for the ipad to see how it works and the applications that are released, something may turn up.

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
MBP 13" or MBA, But Wait and See

I'd hold off making any decisions until the release of the i5 or i7 MBPs, because Apple may just reveal an updated MBA, as well. It's been awhile since the last refresh. Can't see a student getting by with only an iPad, considering everything you would need a "full fledged" laptop for. Plus, a laptop actually sits in your lap in class, and I wouldn't think you'd be distracted as much, trying to type. What's wrong with a 13" MBP? The entry level model is $300 cheaper than the MBA, as it stands now, and has a bigger hard drive.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I'd hold off making any decisions until the release of the i5 or i7 MBPs, because Apple may just reveal an updated MBA, as well. It's been awhile since the last refresh. Can't see a student getting by with only an iPad, considering everything you would need a "full fledged" laptop for. Plus, a laptop actually sits in your lap in class, and I wouldn't think you'd be distracted as much, trying to type. What's wrong with a 13" MBP? The entry level model is $300 cheaper than the MBA, as it stands now, and has a bigger hard drive.

seriously, the op already has a mac that does enough for taking notes. crikey, If you really want some shiny new apple product, and you can afford to buy it on a student budget, then pick up the ipad, as it is new.

Although I don't think it will be useful for taking notes with.

I would just rather you only wast $500 of your money rather than $1500

Best bet is still to get nothing

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
thats what i did with my 15' mbp, got a massive back pack from maxpedition (great stuff, also 5.11 has great bags), needed the bag anyway, for my freaking massive text books
5.11 yep great for macbooks and assault rifles :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.