Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi guys

Could someone please point me in the direction of some software that I can download to convert my DVDs so that I can import them into iTunes and play them on my iPad?

Cheers :D

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Handbrake is the best. Doesn't matter if it's personal or commercial DVD. It just works. Presets allow for the best settings for iPad, iPod/iPhone, and just about any other settings presets you can think of.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks guys.

Ok, I'm attempting to encode s DVD as we speak. It would only let me open the video filer and not the audio so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the finished result won't be muted.

Wish me luck! :D

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks guys.

Ok, I'm attempting to encode s DVD as we speak. It would only let me open the video filer and not the audio so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the finished result won't be muted.

Instead of wasting all that time, just stop it a couple of % into the process. That way, you'll have a couple of minutes of sample video that you can then check for quality and audio. You can even put this sample onto your iPad to see if you like it.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks guys.

it should pull the audio as well. The one thing you have to make sure is some DVDs as a form of copy protection put 99 titles on their discs, which basically create almost 100 DIFFERENT versions of the movies, putting chapters together in the wrong order.

If you notice that, you'll want to open the DVD in DVD Player, get to where the movie is playing, then click the "Go" menu and select the title option and see which title is checked. That will ensure you rip the right one.

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hey guys,

Ok it finished encoding but I am now left with a video that looks like a mosaic. It has pulled the audio though. It's an mp4 file but you can't see the picture at all just a bunch of random squares.:confused: What do I need to do?

Hope people understand what I mean.

Thanks!

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hey guys,

Ok it finished encoding but I am now left with a video that looks like a mosaic. It has pulled the audio though. It's an mp4 file but you can't see the picture at all just a bunch of random squares.:confused: What do I need to do?

Hope people understand what I mean.

Thanks!

what settings are you using and what are you playing it in? I would try playing it in VLC instead of Quicktime (i'm assuming that's what you're using) and if it works in VLC, try using one of the Apple Presets in handbrake

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
what settings are you using and what are you playing it in? I would try playing it in VLC instead of Quicktime (i'm assuming that's what you're using) and if it works in VLC, try using one of the Apple Presets in handbrake

I have tried playing it in QT and VLC, neither work :(

I have changed the settings to iPad too and also left it on regular but still nothing.

I have no idea why it won't work :confused:

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I've never had a need for 2 programs, Handbrake has ripped commercial DVDs for me for a couple years now. I think he's having settings issues.

Use the Apple presets like ATV2 or iPad to get higher quality even if you'll play on iPhone.

I think he'll need VLC in addition to Handbrake in order to decrypt the DVD's. Handbrake uses VLC's decrypting library.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have tried playing it in QT and VLC, neither work :(

I have changed the settings to iPad too and also left it on regular but still nothing.

I have no idea why it won't work :confused:

Try this.
Quit Handbrake

Handbrake uses VLC's decryption library. Open VLC, check for updates, update it, Open it so OSX security clears it, close it, reload handbrake and try again...

fingers crossed..

EDIT -
I think he'll need VLC in addition to Handbrake in order to decrypt the DVD's. Handbrake uses VLC's decrypting library.

Yep just realized that hopefully updating VLC is the cure.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010

Yes he will. Handbrake does NOT decrypt DVDs unless you also have VLC installed on your system.

You can also use Fairmount, MakeMKV, Ripit etc to rip the DVD first, which is useful if you want to queue up encodes (and arguably reduces wear on the DVD drive too).

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes he will. Handbrake does NOT decrypt DVDs unless you also have VLC installed on your system.

You can also use Fairmount, MakeMKV, Ripit etc to rip the DVD first, which is useful if you want to queue up encodes (and arguably reduces wear on the DVD drive too).

Yeah I never really thought about it because I use VLC as my primary media player and was using it before I ever used Handbrake so I had it to begin with.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Everything you need to know about ripping and encoding DVDs and Blu-rays is here. I've done hundreds of DVD and Blu-ray shows and movies. It can all be done with free software. Don't be fooled. You don't need to spend a penny on any payware.

Last edited by a moderator:

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks to everyone for all the help!

I downloaded ripit and then encoded the file in handbrake, that seemed to work!

I had the most recent copy of VLC so not quite sure why that wouldn't work?

If I download fairmount does that mean I won't have to rip the DVD first? Does it do what handbrake does in effect?

Thanks again :D

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
If you want to rip Blu-ray Discs you can first use MakeMKV to rip the BD to an MKV file then use HandBrake to convert that to whatever format you need.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
AND if you download what's in this process, you'll be using Fairmount which does essentially the same thing RipIt does as well as Handbrake and VLC. The benefit is the automation and scripting which makes the process simple and painless enough to rip, encode and automatically tag and move to iTunes, upwards of 10-20 DVDs a day! (based on your processor speed)

That automated process handles BluRay ripping too.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
iPad Volume Low

What's everyone doing about the iPad's volume for movies using headphones?

I have several movies on mine and even music plays at a low volume compared to using the same headphones on my iPhone.

Anyone else feel it's quite low? What's the solution?

act1980

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Ok guys,

I downloaded Fairmount, VLC and Handbrake. Used Fairmont to import the dvd but it has basically duplicated what was on the Disc and now I just have the TS files from the disc instead of 1 ripped converted file.

Getting well confused as I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Please help!:confused::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.