Best freeware for converting video files?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by act1980, Mar 26, 2011.

1. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

I am trying to convert various video files to play on my iPhone and iPad.

They are avi format but I don't think the codecs are compatible.

Could someone please tell me where I can download some good software that will convert them?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Handbrake is the standard on the Mac
    Not sure about avi cause I never use them

3. M87 macrumors 65816

Handbreak is great. I used to use a program called iSquint, which I think still exists but with a different name.

BTW, there are programs that will play AVI files on the iPad.

4. sblanford macrumors newbie

Yes Handbrake is the way to go. I use it for converting movies for Apple Tv and iPad.

5. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

For the millionth time...Handbrake is your friend.

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'm number 1,000,001, then. HandBrake is everyone's friend.

Oh, and get VLC while you're at it. HandBrake can use VLC's libraries to read data directly from a DVD, if you're looking for that capability down the road.

7. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

8. newskin macrumors 6502

No, but it's strange,I have the backup of the ipa from when it was still available in iTunes but it won't sync to the iPad.

9. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

+1 Handbrake. Just use the iPad setting and it's all taken care of.

10. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

11. shandyman Suspended

there's always cinexplayer and oplayer, plays on iPad without having to convert.

Or airvideo, you can stream over wifi or select a bunch of stuff to convert and add it to itunes for syncing.

12. TBR macrumors 6502

the only one?

I must be the only one who doesn't like Handbrake, it just takes far far too long to encode anything. I always stick with my trusty copy of Visualhub.

13. Astacun macrumors newbie

I recently started using iVI and I love it. You can download it for free from the Mac app store. I have used it to convert .avi and .mkv. I haven't tried other formats. It even looks up the metadata online and adds it to your videos.

14. ken987 macrumors member

I need them to be .mov though..>I have handbrake and can't see anywhere that it will do that? Can anyone point me to instructions if it is possible. My goal is to convert movies taken with my Kodak Playsport and then convert to MOV file format so that I can then put them in my ipad in the DCIM folder so that I can then use them in iMovie.

15. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

So how does this work?

Handbreak I can use on my mac to convert my files and them import them to my iPad which I understand.

Can I somehow get an app that will accept me dragging video files over to my iPad on itunes without having to convert?

16. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's what Handbrake does. It reformats the file to .mp4(and usually shrinks it a bit)

you then drag it to your itunes folder and it will sync with your ipad/iphone/ipod.

17. nearlycomplete macrumors newbie

I've been using quicktime X's send to itunes feature through automator, and im just curious why i haven't see anyone ever suggest that? ( i use perian so quicktime can play .avi's )

18. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Hi

I understand what the process is I just didn't know if there was an app I could get for the iPad that decodes the files ratherbthan me having to convert it first.

It would be better if I could get some codec app for the ipadnthat can read anything.

19. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Downloaded vlc but it's not converting a disc. Just not doing anything:confused:

20. egonpax macrumors 6502

Strange. I also have a backup of VLC and it works just fine on the ipad2.

21. shandyman Suspended

the VLC in the store now is not the app we mean, the one we mean was on the iPad and iPhone and acted like the computer versoin, the only VLC app out now in the app store is the streaming one and remote control one.

you want an app like cinexplayer or oplayer. install that on your ipad, then when you plug into itunes, go to your ipad, the app tab at the bottom you will see a list of programs, select cinexplayer and just drag and drop there, then once it's copied over, open cinexplayer and there you go, the video will be there to play, no conversion necessary.

i coulda written that better, but it's been a long day! lol

22. nomik2 macrumors regular

Should have gotten VLC while it was still there...

23. act1980 thread starter macrumors regular

act1980

Thanks, I can't see the app tab? I have brought cinexplayer for ipad and now just tried to drag and drop a video file to my ipad but itunes said it could not be copied as it's not compatible. :confused:

It's ok, I figured it out now. Thanks for your help!! Saves me having to convert! :D

24. shandyman Suspended

yea that sucked that it got pulled, just hurts us consumers. it was just a few weeks before airplay launched, so we missed out on that getting update to VLC. would be nice if they changed their minds and sorted out a new app.