Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Starcraft, Diablo II.

About 0 issues except for when OSX came a knocking, and even then it was just a carbon reincarnation.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I still have my Mac copy of the Dig. Luckily I don't have to break out a Power Mac to play it since Lucas re-released it with an OS X update.

Cool, didn't know about that..

I use SCUMMVM to play all of my old Lucas Arts games.

I actually loaned my copy of The Dig to a friend about 10 years back, then we lost touch, then I finally ordered a new copy again from Amazon for only $7.

heyisa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Kansas
My favorites
Marathon - better than doom, and one of the most interesting/bizarre narratives of any FPS
Maelstrom - the perfect arcade game
Starcraft/Starcraft II - you can play this game for infinity thanks to all the user maps and near perfect balance.
Original Simcity - creating and destroying the world for the first time.

Zion21

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
The introduction of Steam and games like TF2 have taken Mac's to a whole new level. Now Apple just needs to address some performance issues though. :eek:
19.gif

radomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
The introduction of Steam and games like TF2 have taken Mac's to a whole new level. Now Apple just needs to address some performance issues though. :eek:
19.gif

Is it true that mac TF2 players can play with Windows players through online?

iMacN00b

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
FakeFactory 10 on the iMac 27" at 2560x1440 rates high up!

Flying a mini jet into the sunset in Just Cause 2 was also pretty special. :)

I'm updating my YouTube channel all the time, it really does seem that the iMac can be used as a credible "Casual Gaming" device with way better than console performance.

That in itself for a machine I thought would only be used for Final Cut, is probably the best experience! I'll keep posting the vidoes in the hope other 27" owners find out they can do a bit of gaming on the side too. :)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Wow, if you thought Unreal Tournament 04 was good, you really needed to have played Unreal Tournament 99. Best gaming experience I have had in my entire life. Nothing will ever come close to that game, from the music, the taunts, the weapons, the style... just everything.

While UT04 was good, it doesn't even touch the first one.

I will try to find a copy in the bargain bins. I really like Unreal Tournament 2004. When I had my Powermac G5 with a upgraded graphics card it was the best gaming experience I ever had on a Mac.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
All ranked closely
1. World of Warcraft
2. Marathon solo/multiplayer
3. Unreal Tournament 2k4
4. Half Life 2 (bootcamp/vista but still technically on my Mac).

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I have had many amazing game-experiences on my mac. The biggest probably multiplayer in Giant: Citizen Kabuto with my friends. Nothing beats turning around an seeing a huuuuuuge giant look down on you.

The only thing competing must be UT99 multiplayer with my little brother. We had so much fun.

And of course I am an hardcore Starcraft/Starcraft 2 player, I will say this is the game I like the most of all time, but not the same woooow amazement as the above.

The best singleplayer experience is without doubt Deus Ex. That game still entartain me imensly.

World of Warcraft is probably the Game I have used most time with.

All in all I have had much fun gaming on my mac, and I have never felt that I have missed out something from the windows gaming.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Hmm.... wow....

First of all, I think many of us older gamers have fond memories of games we played in the past that are at least partially just because of where we were in life, vs. the game itself really being THAT good. (For example, as a pre-teen/teen, I still have really fond memories of playing "Burgertime" at the local drug store for 25 cents a play, and then finding a pretty good version on my neighbor's Intellivision game console that I could play all afternoon, if given a chance. Today? I actually have a copy of the real arcade Burgertime that runs fine on a Mac using the MAME arcade machine emulator software. It's just "Meh... ok." when I play it today. Can't even quite figure out why I liked it so much before.)

That said? I agree that UT2004 was one of the Mac OS X titles I played the most and got LOTS of enjoyment out of. Another one for me was Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. (I played I and II before that but on a PC, and thought the graphics and other improvements in III really made it superior to the first two games.)

I'd also say Call of Duty 4 was in that category.

Currently, I'm having a great experience playing Team Fortress 2 in Steam. I bought and also like both Left for Dead titles, but they feel a lot more repetitious to me after a little while. The concept that you're playing out scenes of movies is really cool, but it leads to game-play that feels like you're being led on an invisible track, too, once you've played through a scene once or twice. (EG. The same characters say the same canned statements in the same places, each time.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bought and also like both Left for Dead titles, but they feel a lot more repetitious to me after a little while. The concept that you're playing out scenes of movies is really cool, but it leads to game-play that feels like you're being led on an invisible track, too, once you've played through a scene once or twice. (EG. The same characters say the same canned statements in the same places, each time.)

Left 4 Dead is very lineal, but great along the same lines a Half Life. It is a trade off. It would be difficult if not impossible to maintain the level of story control needed in an open sandbox environment.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Chess.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.

Yeah, for $7 I got a replacement tangible product for one of my favorite games -- which BTW, I also own on STEAM with all of Lucas Arts other GAs available.

And just so you know, I own multiple copies of all their early games and even bought the new abominations of Monkey Island just because they contained the older better games.

When you responded to my post and thought ripped-off was appropirate, what was going through your mind? Is it you having a bit of fun, so being sarcastic, because $2 more for a real box is hardly a ripp-off, or is their some underlying aggression going on and you're just creepy? :]

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Although not specifically in Mac OS X, using Bootcamp and Windows 7, I've found that the Mac Pro 3.2ghz is the only thing I've had so far that can really run Flight Simulator X Acceleration really well without going to the extremes of a custom build PC that sounds like a hurricane.

It's amazing - absolutely amazing to be flying into Hong Kong with full detail on everything in a complicated plane and have smooth frame rates. It's especially important at the last stage of landing.

Example:
crazy_hk1.jpg

crazy_hk2.jpg

crazy_hk3.jpg

crazy_hk4.jpg

Sad thing is that half of the processor cores are not even doing much. But I'm still happy getting 30fps in these situations, that's quite smooth enough. Seeing it again on replay with the smooth motion and details of whisking over the tops of buildings makes it all seem really close to the real thing, which fortunately for the sake of safety doesn't exist any more.

My other love on Mac OSX is OpenTTD - the remake of Transport Tycoon, that classic strategy staple from the old days of MS-Dos on PC. It's still one of those things that can leave you sitting their for hours fine tuning your transport operation. :cool: I haven't tried too many others so far, I'm still watching out to see what is around for Mac OS that might be interesting. Civilization 5 looks interesting, but the reports on here make me think I'll wait for a few updates to come along.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Wow, if you thought Unreal Tournament 04 was good, you really needed to have played Unreal Tournament 99. Best gaming experience I have had in my entire life. Nothing will ever come close to that game, from the music, the taunts, the weapons, the style... just everything.

While UT04 was good, it doesn't even touch the first one.
UT GOTY Mac Edition, I still play daily, I'm in a UT clan that still runs a public server. Been playing this since I purchased it 10 years ago. I tried other FPS games, but nothing feels, looks, plays or has the community support that UT has.

Too bad for all the non-OS 9 users, because you will never experience the game in OS X as it was meant to be. Only runs on OS 9 bootable computers. That so-called OS X patch was/is a joke. If you run Window find a copy and install, you'll be glad you did.

Our public server - [PURE] «®ôt» MAP VOTE! Rëigñ Øf Tërrór
70.86.74.2:7777

our sister sever run by our clan mate on his dime - [PURE] «®ôt»Fû££MêTå£JäçKêT Combat Arena
72.51.60.94:7777

G4OS753

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Half-Life 2. I will never forget it. I felt like I was in an action movie.:):D
:apple:iMac 27 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, 256 VRAM

BioShock is also bad-ass!:cool:

Last edited:

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
I vaguely remember a wicked Star Trek game for the LCIII. I can only assume that it was the 25th Anniversary game. The game was just about the coolest thing I ever saw at the time (I was probably ~8 years old) and this probably contributed to my love of video games as much as any console did.

One of the biggest regrets I had as a kid was changing the screensaver to say something along the lines of "Warning! Virus has been detected on your system! Shutting down..."

I thought it was funny, but my dad disagreed. He panicked and uninstalled everything, including the bunch of games that his friend gave us (Star Trek included). I never could find the disks to reinstall :(

On the bright side, the LCIII is still in my parents' basement and would probably work if I tried setting it up. I'd just need to find a copy of the 17 year old video game and I'd be set...

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll have to try setting up an emulator later during the holidays. Not the best idea to download and start messing with emulators 30 mins before I usually crash at night... :D

Looking forward to finishing a game I started 15+ years ago, lol :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.