Best headphones for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmebbk, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jmebbk macrumors regular

Looking for some headphones to use with my macbook pro....

which do you recommend?

2. Yell0w macrumors regular

What kind of usage are you going to be doing with it? Listening to music? Music studio work?

3. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

listening to music and watching movies

4. JDrive macrumors member

5. triplelucky macrumors regular

I have some Koss KSC75 clip ons that I like. They have great bass and are light and pretty comfortable.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I use Apple's own In-Ear phones, I really like the remote function. It's the same on new MacBooks as one would expect on an iPhone.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

8. seinman macrumors regular

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose.

9. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Depends on your budget and music taste. I'd say the best headphones for a Retina Macbook Pro are:

1. AKG 812 Pro
    2. Shure SRH 1840

This is because they are very easy to drive and work with iDevices without requiring expensive DAC + AMP. And they are neutral headphones so they work with most genres of music.

The AKG 812 Pro isn't readily available yet. I'm trying to buy one myself but no shop has it in stock yet.

10. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Well I haven't purchased other brands, been using the noise canceling full ear versions since 06'...and IMO they are amazing. Bass is really good and the audio just sounds amazing... trust me you wont regret them.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Apple's own earbuds would be completely fine. No need to spend a hundred bucks on a set.

12. triplelucky macrumors regular

Listening to music and movie’s is a sad user experience using Apples earbuds, compared to any decent set of headphones.

13. Tanmayg macrumors newbie

Bose AE2

I use Bose AE2 and the sound is amazing. Absolutely clear with the perfect balance! Also with the Bose ae2 the lows are little lowder making you hear even the slightest sound!

14. byuister macrumors member

Bose is excellent if you need noise cancelling. If you don't, a ton of brands offer better sound quality at similar prices.

Here's a short list:

In-ear: Shure, Westone, UE, 1964, CTM, JH

Headphones: Sennheiser, Audio-Technica

15. vandoorn macrumors regular

I could definitely recommend you the Bowers & Wilkins P3 or P5. The sound is absolutely great! :)

16. agaskew macrumors 6502

lol!

17. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

budget probably £130 and i listen to r&b and hip-hop mainly

----------

they are a bit too expensive!

18. Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

little off subject, but headphone related.

I try not to use my headphone jack at all on my mbp, it seem like alot of macbook pro have issue with the headphone jack. Sometime you plug it in and take out the plug and the jack still thinks it connected and there a little red light coming from there. It has been a problem for years on all the models. Probabaly something that they never really fixed. But if you ever have any issues , just replug and unplug your headphones a few time, or go on youtube to see how other people fix there problem.

19. Robfire macrumors newbie

Can't recommend V-Moda headphones enough, I have the Crossfade LP2s. they are my primary DJ headphones, but they are brilliant in everyday situations, watching movies etc. The sound quality is amazing, they are built like a tank and look really cool. They also have a remote which controls your MacBook, just like the Apple earbuds...

20. laurihoefs, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Two B's to forbear: Bose and Beats.

Both for the quality and for the budget.

Might I suggest you take a look at some head-fi.org reviews and recommendations?

Some nice examples within your budget:
    V-MODA Crossfade M-80
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

All of the above examples are good phones, but suit different needs. What specifically will suit you best depends largely on how you are going to use the headphones. If you want to use them at home, large and open phones are a good choice, if you use them on the move go for something closed and compact.

There are many good recommendations threads on Head-Fi, check them out to find what suits you best :)

21. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

are the audio technicas not for music and production?

i want my headphones just for watching movies and listening to music whilst I'm doing my essays etc...

22. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

They are well built, comfortable, and offer good audio quality, especially for the price. They are designed to be a studio monitor, but that does not mean you can't use them for home use.

Go and read some of the reviews, you'll get a good picture of what phones people generally prefer for what kind of music and use.

23. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I can vouch for the P3's. After a week of burn-in the range of sound seems pretty broad and they offer mid-range sound isolation as well (useful on a plane or train). They sound as good as a an older pair of over-ear Sennheiser's that i used to have but are much more portable and have the mic feature as well.