best headphones for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by engaged44, Jul 11, 2011.

1. engaged44 macrumors member

i have to admit being a musician it is hard to find the perfect set of headphones but i have to admit i have them. i have tried many types of the most expensive kinds you can get and fell in love with the dre beat studios. i know a lot of people say it drowns in bass and there is no treble and there are better headphones out there but these are just amazing.

perfect for plane rides, long car rides, recording, or just listening to any type of music or watching a movie. they are perfect.

2. blackbinary macrumors member

if your a musician you'll want to buy a pair of monitoring headphones. They have a completely equal representation of sound, whether its bass or treble, and will give you the most accurate sound. It would not be a good idea to produce with something like the Beats headphones, because the music will have less bass than you intended.

3. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Well, just because he's a musician doesn't mean he's mixing an album with them. Look at Sennheiser and AKG in my opinion.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Klipsh also makes some kicka$$ headphones :D I have a pair and they are truly fantastic.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I don't think the OP was looking for other options...he seems to have been simply saying that the Beats headphones are the best.

I would respectfully disagree, but to each his own.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

the best headphones for the mbp are mine, and they are not yours, but i am glad you are enjoying what you bought.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Tried Bose and the Beats and I do like the Beats more, even though the Bose was more comfortable to wear.

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

IEM's

I know you said headphones, but i prefer in ear monitors. Try jhaudio or ultimateears.com

I have a pair of ultimate ears ue10 Pro (discontinued but similar to the ue 7 pro). You really can't beat custom in ear monitors in my opinion. Customs from these companies start at $400 + the audiologist appt. and go upwards of $1700

If your taste is more in the line of larger over the ear headphones. The "best" (best is very subjective at this level) is either the sennheiser hd 800 ($1800) or HiFiman He-6 ($1200)

In all seriousness though, I would avoid bose, and pretty much anything endorsed by a rapper/ hip hop singer.

Sennheiser has audiophile grade headphones at a variety of pricepoints as well http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dynamic-stereo-headphones-audiophile

9. Locodice macrumors regular

For the average user you can't go wrong with Bose. I love mine. :)

10. miladsafa macrumors newbie

I have the AKG K272 HD with the ibasso d12 anaconda (DAC, headphone amp), and have never been happier with the sound coming out of my mbp!

11. amsure macrumors newbie

I personally like the Grado range. They are open-air transducers and have a great dynamic sonic range.

12. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I love the new Jaybird JF 3 Freedom that I bought recently. Eventhough it's bluetooth headphone, it has a great sound quality (compared to other bluetooth headphones and Sennheiser CX-300 IIs)

13. dsio macrumors regular

I run an external DAC / Darkvoice amp / Senn HD650

Without going external I use CX-300IIs but anything over $50 is a bit of a waste given the shoddy output quality on MBPs.

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Holy crap. I'd look like the guy the guides planes on the runway wearing those. :eek:

15. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Sennheiser, Sennheiser, Sennheiser

People will laugh at you if you're a musician with kids stuff like beats or skull candy

16. engaged44 thread starter macrumors member

It's all personal preference I believe. And I am no professional musician by far. I make my music with GarageBand. I'm thinking of getting logic or ableton. For the things I do the beats are great.

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

my beats solo HD are pretty awesome, and you can control the music and volume even on the MBP with the in-line rocker.

I do have an Senn HD555 that I love and have been using for 2+ years. Those are my favorite, but not usable everywhere due to the open ears.

18. darkeartg macrumors regular

AKG k701's!! might need to be amped though to perform as well as they could...

19. christeeezy macrumors member

I just purchased Sennheiser HD 215 DJ headphones, after returning the Beats Studio headphones. Better quality all around and $100 cheaper.

I just played a white noise audio track for a whole day and it really loosened up the whole range of sound.

20. dsio macrumors regular

^ This. Plenty of other great makes mentioned too, AKG have been respected since forever and at the upper end there are many makes that nobody really hears about due to their price point but Sennheiser mid to high end phones have been a staple for a long time, and unlike BOSE, Senn products live up to their price tag consistently and are quite good value.

21. superericla macrumors 6502

They're a bit difficult to get in right but I really enjoy my Klipsch Custom 3.

22. blackbinary macrumors member

Agreed, i don't know anyone (myself included) unhappy with their Sennheisers.

Bose can be a rip off at times,but AKG and Grado are pretty top notch too.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

24. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

^ Agreed. Love my P5'S, Can't wait to buy the C5's next month, their take on IEM's!!

25. tombubi macrumors regular

The beats headphones are not bad, but a bit pricey. Personally I would go for AKG for its sound quality and decent price.