Best Instant Messaging App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ssdeg7, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I need the Best Instant Messaging app for iPhone, but the only thing I really need is reliable Push Notifications, I use GoogleTalk so I need notifications to appear instantly, not like in WhatsApp or other app where Push notifications are really slow and I sometimes receive updates 30 minutes late.

I've tried:
    -IM+
    -Imo
    -Meebo
    -Palringo

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

BeeJive is largely considered to be the best instant messaging app and the one I use on a day to day basis.

3. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

4. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I've been following Beejive but is it worth $10? I just need good Push Notifications.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I use Trillian. When it first came out I used Beejive, but it was so annoyingly slow I looked for different options.

So far, Trillian is the best I've used. And for your purposes, the push notifications are always instant, at least in my experience.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

IMO, yes it is

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

8. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Great, i'll give it a try since it's got good reviews.

But AIM doesn't support GoogleTalk, or does it?

9. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

2.5 Stars? Why is it better than others?

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

11. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This isn't true at all. The app is barely ever updated (although it was updated recently) and it's nowhere near as fast and smooth as beejive. There are a few options that are all better than Trillian. Best free app would be Meebo.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I said it's the best I've used. Which is true. Unless you know something about me that I don't.

And admittedly once I dumped beejive, I never went back to try it out to see if it had gotten any better. But it was annoyingly slow and unusable. Maybe I'll stick it back on my phone and try it out, I just never had the need because Trillian has been great for me.

13. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Meebo is nice but drains the battery really fast, i've tried using two iPhones and Meebo is not battery friendly.

So, are push notifications faster and more reliable in Beejive?

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I paid 10$ each for IM+ and Beejive. IM+ is painfully slow, but fairly reliable. On the other hand, Beejive almost constantly disconnects me, sometimes without even notifying me.

15. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

What services do you use? This never happens to me on AIM & Google Talk.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh Aim and GoogleTalk work great together. My GF is over in China (i have a mobileme account she has a Gtalk) and I just leave AIM running and instantly get messages as soon as she sends them. If the app is closed you get a push notification and press the button and it takes you right to where you left off. :)

17. ssdeg7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

IM+ is incredibly slow when returning to the App which makes it useless, does this happen in Beejive or is Beejive faster?

18. pintnight macrumors 6502

I have Beejive and it's very fast for me. Well worth the $10 and it's $10, not that is going to break the bank.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The time it took to return to the app and reply to a message was the major reason I stopped using Beejive. It just took too darn long. I haven't used it in over a year, though, so it may have gotten faster. Trillian has no such problem. It's super quick.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Keep in mind that BeeJive has options to disconnect you from the service. The minimal is one hour and the max is 7 days. There's also an option to logout anytime you exit the app.

21. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Been using Beejive since it was on beta. I have it on both iOS and Android and it works great.

22. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I see Imo on your list. I've tried all the free IM apps and that is my current choice for everyday use. It does have an odd user interface for signing into an account (the sign-in button remains after you've signed-in, making it unclear what your status is) but it's been reliable in my usage so far. (My IM service is MSN.)

I do wish Adium would come to iDevices! That's my preferred IM client on my MacBook Pro.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

+1 about Adium. What the heck is taking them so long?!

24. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Maybe because it is fairly new? I don't know.
    ALso I am not so sure it is better than the others, but Pingchat works very well similiar to the Blackberry's BBM message. As long as the other party has the Pingchat app, they are able to text each other isntantly and it is free :)

25. answerman macrumors newbie

Any updated thoughts on the best IM app for GoogleTalk for (i) keeping you logged in and (ii) push notifications? BeeJive has been sucking for me lately on both fronts.