Best iOS memory stick

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MrMister111, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Looking at getting one of these memory sticks that plug in to iPhone and iPad, like the Sandisk iXpand etc.

Which is best? I think this is decent as it bends around the back of the iPad/iPhone, others to me stick out too much and danger of snapping off.

So which is best? Any recommendations? Are the wireless ones any good? Fast enough to stream movies to the iPad/iPhone?

I presume all have to use their own app, how are these?

Thanks

2. skoosht macrumors member

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

4. bosas200 macrumors newbie

bosas200

I bought it from aliexpress. Its awesome

5. MrMister111, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link, is AliExpress good as well? Think rather buy at Amazon for warranty though.

So is this cable a normal USB cable as well to be able to charge/sync but if you add a MicroSD you can also store files and play videos from it etc?

What's the app for it please, in the UK app store so I can have a look.

I think this is a better idea than a solid USB pen as be terrified it snaps off. I presume this can be bent around back etc safer?

Just done a search on Amazon UK for "microSD lightning" and quite a lot of similar. Wonder if any Apple MFi certified? All use the same app? Which is best? Or all made by same company just different sellers?

Is there any way to protect the MicroSD card with touchID or anything either?

Thanks

6. skoosht macrumors member

--So is this cable a normal USB cable as well to be able to charge/sync but if you add a MicroSD you can also store files and play videos from it etc?

yes it's a normal USB cable & charge/sync, you put the microsd in and plug the cable to your computer. It will show up as a drive to copy files to.

--What's the app for it please, in the UK app store so I can have a look.

I think the app is different for each manufacturer, although they are just re-branded from some chinese company. My app was called iUSB Pro.

--I think this is a better idea than a solid USB pen as be terrified it snaps off. I presume this can be bent around back etc safer?

yes, much better than a solid pen, not much risk of snapping anything off.
    btw you can copy the file off the sd card to internal storage, then play with any player (vlc, nplayer etc)

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Great thanks. Ordered one!

On last bit when you copy from the SD to internal doors it go in your video folder? That's also handy as could just copy a movie one at a time to internal for smother playback and no need for cable when watching.

Is there any security for the SD? touchID, or could anyone get the SD and plug it into a computer or iPhone with the app and see the files? I'm thinking if backing up photos or something.

8. skoosht macrumors member

When copying it can go to the iUSB app or to camera roll. You can also transfer it to another video player.
    I believe this is the user manual for the software that mine had me download from the app store.
    There's a bit in there about encryption, haven't tried it yet on mine.
    https://iclique.org/wp-content/uploads/manuals/manual-2.pdf

9. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Why don't you try Cloud Storage? Much more affordable (sometimes free for big storages) and you won't need to carry anything more.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have the largest iCloud subscription but it's for times when don't have internet really, liked planes, trains, travel etc.

I didn't know you could store your own movies in iCloud and stream though either

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

To update this thread had to send the above back it wouldn't recognize on iPhone X although seemed ok on an iPad, both on iOS 11, so not sure why wouldn't on iPhone X.

So I'm now looking again and not too bothered on the MicroSD bit now.

Seen the types like iXpand/Leef or the cable types like Lexar C25i or RavPower cable one.

Anyone any comments on which is best etc?

Thanks

12. sparksd macrumors 68020

13. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh that's not good. What happened to them? Did you contact Leef direct to see what they said?

Forgot I had an old Imation Link drive. Really good but the app is old and not updated now.

The Sandisk iXpand looks good but very disappointing that they still haven't updated the app for iPhone X screen still, the size of the company you would hope they could of by now.

How much does that one stick out though, the leef and iXpand look clever how they wrap around the back.

14. sparksd, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018

sparksd macrumors 68020

Leef - app would crash if I had more than a few mp4 files in the storage and would often crash when accessing a single file. I went back and forth with them over a 4-month timeframe, doing lots of test and providing log files (I'm a retired s/w engineer), trying different firmware versions, and 3 different physical devices. In the end, nothing was resolved and I got a refund.

I also tried the Meenova Dash-i, a nice device but would not work with video files larger than 4GB (on exFAT). Again, went through tests with the vendor and they could replicate the problem but couldn't fix it as the issue was "in a third-party library we are using".

The one I reviewed sticks out 1". But it works.

Should also add that I use a wireless FileHub (RAVPower) for accessing and streaming video from a 4TB hard drive (or any other USB storage or an SD card). Works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZWS9ZE