Best iPad Air 2 Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kapp2, Dec 14, 2015.

1. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Couldn't be easier. The two hinges are lined with soft TPU so the iPad just slips in and out, but it holds stong enongh that you could lift the keyboard by the iPad. I never felt that the hinges that hold it would damage the iPad screen or back. I love that the keyboard feels and looks like a solid matching aluminum piece. Google the Brydge Air reviews and their web site. All very positive when it cost $20 more than it currently cost. http://www.brydgekeyboards.com/products/brydgeair?variant=7751695937

2. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I left the Belkin Qode Ultra for the Brydge Air

3. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Can this also switch connection between multiple devices like the qode pro can?

4. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I'm pretty sure it can. I would read and watch reviews to see if it's mentioned or contact Brydge they respond consistantly, just go to support on the site and type your question. The instructions don't mention it. http://www.brydgekeyboards.com/pages/instructions

By the way it has built in bluetooth stereo speakers.

5. rosa69539 macrumors newbie

rosa69539

6. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Too bad apple won't make a smart keyboard for the air 3......

7. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

What is it about the smart keyboard that makes it preferable to you over the existing keyboard covers and cases for the Air?

8. kapp2 thread starter macrumors 6502

kapp2

Hey again. Bouth keyboard yeastoday. Logitech Ultrathin :D

9. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

10. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Hi mate, quick few questions for you - I have a Boxwave polyurethane cover for my Air 2. Will this work with the BrydgeAir? I don't however have a screen protector. My concern is that the screen could get scratched when it's closed. How have you found it so far?

Here's a link to the back cover http://www.amazon.co.uk/BoxWave-Apple-iPad-Smart-Sleeve-clear/dp/B00OL7L2QO

11. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

The BoxWave will not work with the Brydgeair keyboard. There are cutouts for the hinges so I recommend that you purchase the Brydge clear back that has hinge cutouts. A screen protector isn't necessary. There are rubber pads that hold the keys away from the screen. The keyboard itself serves as a screen protector.
    I do feel a protector makes me feel more secure. I had a Belkin Qode keyboard that was pressed hard against my screen by airport security and the keys slightly marked the screen.

12. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Hi archrider, thanks for your reply. From the videos I've seen, it's possible to adjust the cutouts for the hinges so you can put an iPad, iPad Air or iPad Air 2 in the Brydgegear. If that's the case, my thinking was that even though I've got the back cover on I can adjust the hinges so the air 2 with cover can slide in.

What do you think?

If that doesn't work, then it'll have to be the Brydge clear back. Or if the iPad can go in at either side into the bridge gear, I can cut a very small section out of the Boxwave case so it can slide in on the naked part of the iPad.

13. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I didn't think of that. they send silicone inserts for both the Air and Air2. You could use the Air inserts for your air2. The extra space may allow for the Boxwave. The hinges can be adjusted by bending with your fingers. they are strong and will not lose their stiffness. They will press the case against the Air2, but the hinge can hold the iPad without much pressure. I don't know about the type of plastic the Boxwave is (hard or soft). Whether it will cut easily. I would personally go for the wide hinge space option.

14. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

--- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2016 ---
    I've used four keyboard cases for my Air. All are aluminum. By far the brydgeair is the best. It's like it's made by Apple. The only negative I can think of is, swiping from the bottom for control panel you have to slide the iPad almost out of the hinges. Not great but I can live with it. I almost never use that feature.

15. scouser75 macrumors 65816

I might just take a gamble and hit the 'Buy' button. If it doesn't work with the Boxwave, I can always return it.

Is there a UK keyboard available with the £ symbol or are they all the same?

What other keyboards have you used?

16. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Your dedication to the boxwave case has me curious about that case lol

17. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Haha! I fully understand your curiosity. The reasons are:

a) I don't want to keep changing back covers when I want to use the keyboard. Raises risk of ipad getting scratched.

b) once I've finished with the keyboard, I can simply detach iPad (with the Boxwave still on), reattach my Smart Cover and put the keyboard away.

c) the Boxwave shows off a fair bit of the iPad's design.

I've had a look at the design of the Boxwave and the Brydgeair. I might, just might, get away without having to cut or modify the Boxwave. There might just about be enough naked iPad bezel to the left where the Smart Cover attaches for it to slide into the Brydgeair.

18. archrider, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Belkin Qode Ultimate (not Pro)
    Belkin Qode Thintype
    Logitech Ultrathin
    Brydgeair

I could be wrong but I don't think the Boxwave and a smart cover together will fit the Brydgeair hinge. The brydge back cover can be left on all the time.

I really like the Zagg glass screen protector. Best Buy will install it for a small fee and it's perfect.

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

The qode pro keyboard setup does exactly what you're asking for and even disconnects from Bluetooth automatically once you detach the iPad from the keyboard. It's a hybrid case/Bluetooth keyboard that switches from laptop to tablet like the surface.

The main difference I see is that the case is thicker than the boxwave although it is still compatible with a Smart Cover.

20. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Thanks guys for replies.

I don't want to use the ipad with both the smart cover and boxwave. I want just the boxwave in conjunction with keyboard.

I'll check out the qode pro tonight. See if that's good for what I want.

In the mean time - what are the chances of the new ipad Pro 9.7 smart keyboard working with our Air 2?

21. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

i don't think theirs any chance. It needs the special connector. It has three contact points on the edge.