Best iPhone 4 Black to White Conversion Kit (Front and Back) ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bella92108, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

So I just had my iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked replaced, and I figure it's as good of time as any to give it a makeover since obviously Apple won't give us a white one.

Does anyone have experience doing a conversion to whit and...

- What site did you order from?

- Does it comes with front\back\screen\home button\anything else needed?

- What tools are needed. As a knowledge 8 out of 10 person, am I capable of doing it without issue?

- What's the best deal\quality option to do it?

- What else should I be aware of? (yeah I know it potentially voids the warranty), but I mean any other issues I'm not thinking of.

Post pics if you have them, otherwise, advice if you have any would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

PS I know there are other threads on this, but nothing recent, so I'm trying to get some fresh opinions as to what's out there TODAY.

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Check your local craigslist. I found a guy that'll do it for $180 and said hed let me pick my parts from all the ones he has.

3. dayumitzmark macrumors regular

i would also like to know a place where i can covert my iphone!

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I did, and got a good result.

The local places are all charging roughly $250 if I want to keep my existing LCD, or $150 if they keep it (assuming for their own resale).

However, he did warn to be careful of the online\eBay kits because many people come into him with white iphones that have proximity sensors that don't work well or at all.

Like anything being shipped direct from China\Hong Kong, it's kinda a try-and-see mentality and you really have no recourse. Considering the iPhone 4 is half way through it's life and I just replaced my factory unlocked iPhone 4 UK ($900 stung a bit) because the old one broke, I really don't want to shell out another $250 to make it white for 5-7 months... so I decided to just wait for iPhone "5" and hopefully they'll offer it in white :)

5. martynov macrumors member

I got mine done with ifixdirect. There is a lot of negative feedback here about them so don't trust just my opinion. You can find my thread in the iPhone accessories section.

My service came with a headphone jack, dock connector, backplate, front plate, ear speaker mesh, and home button all in white except the mesh. I'm pretty happy with my parts and the installation they did for me. I also got a bonus screen protector :p

6. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

couple questions:

- how is the usability\quality of the screen compared to the original apple?

- have you had any proximity sensor issues?

- Any chance I could get you to snap a pic of the front of the phone just to see how it looks?

Much appreciated!

7. martynov macrumors member

To answer your questions:

- usability is just the same and the feel is a bit different. Still glass but just gets dirty hella fast and harder to clean them my black parts.

- my sensor works great and is responsive. The issue with some the parts is (according to them) is the perforations are too big on the front plate. I can barely see anything through mine.

- I'm on my iPhone now but when I'm home I'll take some more pics. You can check in my thread, I have a few front pictures.

8. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, I would have thought it's get less dirty... like white cars are easier to keep clean than black hmmm... Thats great to know. I did find some photos online so don't trouble yourself taking photos.

What did they offer you for your old parts? I see they say they'll email an offer, so i'm curious about how much they offer.

One last question... for $250, if you had it to do over again, would you do it given the couple issues outlined above?

Thanks for the quick responses above!

9. martynov macrumors member

I'll tell you this much, I've been waiting for this damned iPhone forever. One of my friends had it done and told me about it so I started slowly lurking around and researching more and more. It was only recently did I decide to pull the trigger primarily due to my proximity to their location. I love my white iPhone 4, it's so unique. I like to match my clothing alot and this phone just complete my looks.

As far as the dirt goes, I'm referring to fingerprints. They can be a hassle sometimes when you don't have a microfiber near you unlike my black parts where I can just wipe against my t shirt. It's not a big deal to me but if you're a clean freak it might be an issue.

I actually kept my black parts in case I ever have an issue with my phone so I can just have them put them back on and bring it to apple for repair. They did offer 75 for my parts though.

10. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, glad to hear the positive review. The $75 is a lot more than I thought they'd do... not bad. I'm not so concerned with having to take it back to Apple since my I have a UK and a Canada model iPhone... no warranty in the US :-(

But good info. Were they quick? I see 2-3 day priority to get it to them, then 2 days back, so 5 shipping days + how many did it take for them to do the replacements and ship back to you?

Thanks!

11. martynov macrumors member

I walked into their store location so it took about 45 minutes. I would not recommend USPS, they have the worst shipping. Ups, fedex, or dhl is the only way to go.

12. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree, but their label they send is USPS... which is odd since you can only insure for $500 on USPS and my phone is easily worth $1000 since it's a UK factory unlocked model. Should that be another concern, or you think they're trustworthy enough?

13. martynov macrumors member

It's probably just out dated information. I just checked the shipping methods and there is only ups and fedex available to choose from. I would recommend to call them and speak to them, at least that way you can get a feel for who you're working with. Their number is 18004418817

14. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I contacted them via the "Contact US" and they replied in 20 minutes,wow, not bad. He said they use USPS to send them the phone to accommodate easier shipping, but they return the phone FedEx 2 day.

He said they reduce the price by $75 if you permit them to keep the parts replaced. However, he said the value goes down if the parts are damaged in any way.

I think I'm going to hold off.. Having just dropped $900 for the damn phone, I really don't want to throw another $250 into a phone I'll likely have for 6 months more, max... Maybe their prices will drop as it gets closer to June\July refresh time.

15. Danny2011 macrumors member

Yeah they are quite pricey but I guess you pay for quality. I'm looking into various sources for these conversions as well. Once I make the decision, I'll make sure to post up a review as well.

16. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah... if Apple were smart they'd come out with a white iPhone and price it $100 more than the black, and give it some dumb new feature like $10 app credit.... and watch as people line up to get it, haha.

I swear it's Apple's marketing plan to not have the iPhone 4 in white. We all want what we can't have, and when we get it, there's false demand, hehe

17. Danny2011 macrumors member

I agree but there is just something about that white glass that seems so tempting. Honestly I agree we do want what we cant have but what kind of life will we lead if everything we want is given to us. It's just a small step towards making your self happy, there is no value in that what so ever. The most important thing is to get your money's worth which is why I'm looking for a reputable company to buy from and have them install. IFixDirect seems good lately but there is just too much negativity from before so I'm either going to go with another company or just hang tight till more people post some more feedback on them.

18. sjam80 macrumors newbie

for someone who is not ifixdirect you seem to know a lot about their shipping problems.......stop lying we know you are them coud you please return my money and my phone.....and while your at it tell everyone you are also zeetron and return everyones elss's money and phones.....

19. CZK macrumors 6502a

20. martynov macrumors member

I swore i wasnt going to answer you but after i pm you trying to help you with your case and you go and post this? If you really had your iPhone sent in and never got it back im sure you would of already called them and figured it out... Plus check all your posts, you've been bashing this company since the day of your registration. Maybe you're zeetron?

21. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Are all 353 of your posts troll responses like this one? Why spend some much time on an Apple community site when you have such distain for them?

22. ToutSuite macrumors member

This guy makes a good point! Anyway, anyone else have any recent experience with ifixdirect? It sounds like they're serious about turnin things around. Is there a MacRumors discount available?

23. sjam80 macrumors newbie

for someone who does not have anything to do personally with the company....you are going to great distances to help them save their rep......i didnt ask for your help so why pm me offering????? its very strange on your part.....both your companies have bad reps....

24. martynov macrumors member

I just cant wait till someone proves you wrong. These guys did a great job on my phone and gave me a good price, i like to look out for people who take care of me. Mark my word one of these days youll feel stupid about accusing zeetron or ifixdirect of being the same company lol.

25. CZK, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Who are you calling a troll ? Troll

All what i stated is true. When you convert your iphone like this it voids your warranty.

Paying 200$ to make your iphone white and void your warranty is the ******* thing i've ever heard.

There is no logic behind that.