Best iPod for music? Help me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scooterguitar, Dec 25, 2009.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

This old man would like some advice please. I love cutting edge tecnology and planned on getting a Touch, but now I have a Droid phone, so all the fun apps and stuff aren't necessary.
    What I want...
    Plenty of storage for music. 90% of whatever iPod I end up with will be used in a good quality docking station that I'll take between a few places.
    A remore is a must, but imagine any iPod can work with a remote, right?
    I want a few different playlists and ease of skipping songs.
    My wife got me a 16gb nano today, but I am not opening it until I figure this out...by tomorrow:D
    16gb nano, exchange for 32gb Touch, or now I've been reading about the Classic being best for music?
    I love the Touch, but can it do playlists, remore for music, etc?
    Any comments are appreciated.

2. agr5 macrumors member

I have a 16gb touch but my next iPod will probably be the classic. I like the touch but, like you, I have a touch screen phone and don't really need all the features the touch offers. I have never used a remote so I can't comment on that. But I would go with the classic... Lots of storage!!

3. bt22 macrumors 6502

I have had the 5th Gen iPod Video. Now have an iPhone and I must say I liked the 5th Gen iPod for iPod functions. Since the iPhone screen locks it's frustrating to change songs having to wake the screen all the time, unless you use the headphones that come with the iPhone that have inline controls. If you only want music I would get the classic. My 2 cents...

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I think it really depends on how much music you have. I have a 5th gen iPod and all my music fits on it (60GB), but the iPod I enjoy the most is my little shuffle :)

5. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, keep it coming please.
    Well, I have maybe around 10gigss of music, and don't get too much new really...love my old stuff.
    Realistically, an 8g unit would be fine and I can keep swapping them out if need be, but prolly won't need to.
    So the Classic might be overkill for me unless it truly is better for music?
    So to keep changing songs, etc...the Touch would always need to be unlocked or is there a way around this?
    I just don't want to be left wishing I'd excahnged the nano for the touch.

6. phoobo macrumors regular

5G/5.5G iPods have the best sound...

...in the history of the iPod line, thanks to the Wolfson audio chip. These are the only iPods with any kind of following within the "sensitive ears" set. Better than the more recent "classic" as well. If you are really into sound quality, you would do well to pick one of these up on ebay or from a refurbisher or collector.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have the Classic, Shuffle, and touch. They're all good for separate uses but if I had to choose one for music only it would be the Classic, hands down. Elegant interface that's powerful but easy to use, and it holds my entire library.

A 32GB touch has some appeal (mine only has 8GB, not nearly enough to hold my entire music library), but I've never gotten used to the touch's awkward music interface. The simplicity of the Classic's clickwheel is much more appealing.

The 2G Shuffle is really nice for a limited selection on the go, but it has a minimal interface and not as good sound as the others. I wouldn't consider the 3G Shuffle; the 2G Shuffle is perfect for what it does and Apple's attempt at a new and improved version was badly botched IMO.

8. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Am I looking for the right ones...an evay search yielded many 5.5's for around $100...
    So maybe return this nano and either find the used one or be safe and get the Clasic?
    I'm confusing myself here:>)

9. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Well, I have the 16 gb touch and I love it for music. But for music, I would keep your nano. The classic is big and bulky for extra memory that you don't need and the touch is mostly a gaming device...

Keep the nano :D

10. phoobo macrumors regular

It all depends how sensitive your ears are -- and how much you listen to music. If I were listening all day, I'd definitely want a 5G. If you want to avoid the possible hassles of an older device (which I actually think is part of the fun -- I'd just take them apart and put new drives in them, etc.), then you can always get one of the current ones.

It's not like the new ones are awful, far from it. But there is a difference.

Also, you didn't say whether you listen on headphones/ear phones, in which case you definitely want to pitch the ones Apple includes with these devices and get a real set. There the difference really is night and day.

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

With regard to a remote, you'll need to get a remote with whatever docking station that you buy.

12. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

You definitely don't need a touch or classic if you only have 10GBs of music. Stick with the nano ;)

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Agreed. I don't use my iPhone for music 'cause the clickwheel's just so much more intuitive.

After you posted this people should have just told you to keep the 16GB nano. My mum bought my sister a nano but on Christmas Eve I swapped it out for a classic because it became clear that my sister wanted way more space than the nano could provide. She was willing to give up the extra features for the space.

Since your music collection doesn't really increase you will be better off with the nano and 16GB will give you space to grow. Smaller, lighter, no moving parts (unlike the classic's hard drive) and lots of extra features that may well come in handy one day. Perhaps you're not interested in the nike+ for running, but you may well want the radio or the camera one day.

At this point I personally would only buy a classic but I have 30GB+ and my collection grows by the week. I'd take a nano if they made them big enough.

Soundwise, you'd need to have some very nice equipment and very sensitive ears to hear the difference. And you'll need to be encoding in lossless which eats up space. I try to ignore the whole audiophile bit though, because I tend to think down that road madness lies :p

Tbh I think you'll be more than happy with the nano. It can make and sync playlists, will work in a dock and with a remote, has the genius clickwheel interface. It's a great music player for someone with your size of collection.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's a 5G for sound quality or the Nano 16 GB for convenience given that your music collection is only 10 GB.

15. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

one thing that makes me want a 5th gen ipod nano is the built in speakers which the regular large ipod doesnt have. its not high quality but its good for when you need an ipod to listen to without a headset or speakers.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When is that, exactly?

17. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, more great insight, thanks so much.
    I'm still deciding before I open the package.
    At this point I think I've ruled out the Touch.
    I will never use earphones...basically I'll use this item with a decent sounddock to replace a basic small home stereo in my garage and a cheap boombox we use on out deck...trying to get away from so many CD's and flashdrives in which we can't select songs.bands we want.
    SO I guess I need to ask...with CLassic or Nano, I can easily jump to an artisit/song of choice with most any docking station remote then?

Also, instax stated below that the Nano has more features than the Nano I might want one day, what are those please?
    THanks again

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's been my [admittedly limited] experience with docking stations. Usually its just a matter of getting the right adapter to fit the port/iPod combo you have.

19. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

5g

Which 5g are we talking about, the classic style or the nano for sound quality?

20. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.
    ANyone know of any drawbacks with the new Classic compared to the nano?

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's physically larger, some people don't like the shape, it's got a platter-based hard drive as opposed to Flash in the nano...

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a Classic for all my music, I only have just under 35GB so the 80GB Classic is great so far with room to grow (and it has been a lot lately). I have a 16GB Nano for running and working out because the Classic is too bulky for that and since is has a platter-based HD, there is more to damage when bouncing around unlike the flash in a Nano. I hope they keep the Classic in the line up for people who like to take all there music at times like on vacations.

23. 4FalconAF macrumors member

There are some pros and cons when you compare the latest Classic to the latest Nano. Maybe this can help you decide.

Pros Nano:
    - Handier, smaller, lighter
    - No moving parts, so smaller chance things will break.
    - More beautiful (just my opinion)
    - Video camera
    - FM Radio
    - VoiceOver which can tell you what album/song you are playing

Pros Classic:
    - A bit bigger screen (2.5 inch vs 2.2 inch)
    - Larger disk (but you won't use it)
    - Longer battery life (36 hours of music vs 24 hours). But knowing you will put it on a docking station most of the time this issn't to much of a point.

All this together would make me choose the Nano. The Classic is handy if you have a library which is more then 16GB, or is expanding quick. Or sometimes I hear that older people tend to like products being not to small.

24. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

like at night time i listen to podcast, low volume and place it on my pillow.