Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
There are some pros and cons when you compare the latest Classic to the latest Nano. Maybe this can help you decide.

Pros Nano:
- Handier, smaller, lighter
- No moving parts, so smaller chance things will break.
- More beautiful (just my opinion)
- Video camera
- FM Radio
- VoiceOver which can tell you what album/song you are playing

Also Nike+ and built in pedometer.

Which tbf it doesn't sound like you'll be all that interested in using.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
No using it for exercise, etc...almost always be on a decent docking system.
The new Nano has the option to listen to it w/o earbuds? That would be a nice feature when just skimming songs, etc though the sound quality wouldn't matter if doing that. The Classic doesn't do this?

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I think I'm losing my mind here:eek:
Just can't figure it out for the life of me. I'd hate to have the atypical buyer's remorse with either the classic or nano.

Maybe this next set of?'s will help me...
Will they both easily work with my PC (going iMac in a few months) and exisiting song library? WIll the current album artwork/info be displayed still like in Media Player or do I have to literally buy stuff from iTunes?

4FalconAF

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
They both will work the same with your PC and existing song library.

When you play a song the screen will show the album artwork, title and other relevant information.

Your library will have to be transferred to iTunes, you don't have to buy the songs again on iTunes. Once you imported all your songs in iTunes its very easy to synchronize your iPod with it.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
They both will work the same with your PC and existing song library.

When you play a song the screen will show the album artwork, title and other relevant information.

Your library will have to be transferred to iTunes, you don't have to buy the songs again on iTunes. Once you imported all your songs in iTunes its very easy to synchronize your iPod with it.
Thank you verymuch.
I have read (no clue where) that sometimes the album artwork and such isn't recognized in itunes.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
You should definitely get the 120GB Classic. 120GB may sound like a lot now, but I'm sure you would prefer Lossless files on your iPod since you're planning on docking it mostly. And you may have only a few Playlists now-- but you might just decide you'd want a few more down the line. (My iTunes library is well over 100GB.)

As for the size, the Classic is hardly heavy or huge... (I personally dislike all these miniature gadgets-- the Classic and Touch are a nice solid size.)

Get the Classic: Do it! Do it! Do it!

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I have the Classic, Shuffle, and touch. They're all good for separate uses but if I had to choose one for music only it would be the Classic, hands down. Elegant interface that's powerful but easy to use, and it holds my entire library.

I find the classic's interface to be generally slow and unresponsive. I'd keep the 16 GB nano if I were you.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Hmm, what do you mean lossless files?

I guess I could get the nano and just buy a used 5th gen Classic if I ever had the urge...but it might not work on the dock.

4FalconAF

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Lossless files is only if you download new songs. You may choose for high quality format. But normally all the songs you download are just small mp3 files, witch have great quality standard.

Normally all the iPod docks works on all iPod models because they all use the same connector. Except from the Shuffle model. So if you buy a dock both the Nano and Classic will fit.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, it is do or die time, as Best Buy's sale ends tonight, so I'm on my way...
Think I am returning the 16g Nano and using that $ towards a nice portbale dock/stereo (maybe Bose).
Then I'll buy a used 5th gen 30g Classic on ebay ASAP.
Sound like a plan?
Were/are there lots of issues with the old ones though?
Thanks for all the help!

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
If you are using it with a dock, I'd get the Classic, sound quality difference is minimal when coming out of the dock connector, when out the Headphone, yes the 5G sounds that tiny bit better, but any advantage is lost when docked, as the Dock provides a much higher bandwidth for the audio.

I'd get the new Classic Personally.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think that if you only have 10GB of music right now, you already have the perfect player. The new Nano is a great device - solid state memory for great battery life and should last forever. Plus you get FM with the ability to pause, etc. The Classic is great if you have a ton of music, but if not, I much prefer a Nano. I agree that the classic, for whatever reason, has a slower interface than the nano. The difference you gain with a 5th Gen or with Lossless files is quite small unless you are using some seriously high-end gear.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Makes sense. But I'm now looking at the used aspect for saving money and getting what I need done, but used does scare me

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't know what a used 5th gen goes for, but since they are somewhat sough-after, I'd expect that you wouldn't be gaining a lot by returning your existing nano and buying one of those. It's also worth noting that in my experience after owning 7+ ipods is that the only point of failure I've ever encountered (twice) is the hard drive. For that reason I much prefer the solid state based players like the Nano.

Let me ask you this - do you own any kind of stereo at all right now? Even something old with big speakers, etc?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Fair enough - it sounds like you already guessed where my next suggestion was going - to use you existing stereo with a RCA-to-mini plug rather than an entire docking unit. Really, you can't go wrong either way. There is slightly less risk with a new player that has a warranty, but ipods are fairly robust in any case.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I've had a fat nano for 2 years or so and love the size. I can slip it in a shirt pocket and not even know it's there.

The one thing that I do have trouble with is reading the words with almost 50 year old eyes. My arms just aren't long enough... I used it for movies and TV shows when I was riding the exercise bike at the gym and had to wear my reading glasses.

I agree with those who liked the solid state over hard drives. Fewer moving parts.

I would try the 16Gb for a while if 10Gb is all you need. I think once you try it you will like it.

One more thing: I sprung for the AV Cables and use it to plug into my VCR to my TV and stereo to watch downloaded videos.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I cannot believe you guys just convinced him to buy a older iPod. The music will come out the dock - which means it doesn't matter what audio chip it has. Keep the 16 GB Nano, it really is a great platform!

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
No one is making me do/convincing me to do anything. I appreciate everyone's insight and time with all of this.
Here's my night...:)
Tried daughter's last yera Nano....feels too light and the scroll wheel just didn't feel right. Though I did not take out the new one I got, maybe it feels better?
I tried the Classic at Wally World and it "felt right" in my hands. DIdn't spend too much time with it there as I was off to BB to return and look further...
So, BB did not have any of the Calssics in stock, argh.
I ended up returning the nano for a Bose Series II dock, now I need to figure out if that's what I wanna keep:eek::D;)
I don't know which I'll end up with...but still thinking I'll try to find a Classic used.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
wow.

I hope you just kept the nano and are done with it like Maxx said.

ANY iPod made in the last several years can do what you want without any problem.

Heck, my 7 year old 3G 15 gig ipod (came out in 2003) can do everything you want.

If you are only going to have it in a dock, not sure what it matters what it feels like in your hand?

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Good point! The bigger wheel is basically what I'm liking much more.

I have also realized, I have many concert dvd's I'd like to load onto it, not to watch but to listen to. The bigger size of a classic would be best I'm now highly sure.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
I wish you the best, If your going to get an iPod Classic I would suggest the newest 120 GB one.

Someone is going to tell you the 5.5 gen edition was just as good or better, but I would highly recommend the iPod Classic. It has a great battery and large hard drive.

Good luck with the Bose sound dock and whatever iPod you decide to buy.

[Edit]

I'm sorry, the 160 GB iPod Classic. That is so weird, I only remember the 120 GB edition before.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
No one is making me do/convincing me to do anything. I appreciate everyone's insight and time with all of this.
Here's my night...:)
Tried daughter's last yera Nano....feels too light and the scroll wheel just didn't feel right. Though I did not take out the new one I got, maybe it feels better?
I tried the Classic at Wally World and it "felt right" in my hands. DIdn't spend too much time with it there as I was off to BB to return and look further...
So, BB did not have any of the Calssics in stock, argh.
I ended up returning the nano for a Bose Series II dock, now I need to figure out if that's what I wanna keep:eek::D;)
I don't know which I'll end up with...but still thinking I'll try to find a Classic used.

Honestly sir, you are making way too big of a deal out of this. I am the same way though, I like to do my research before I buy anything, but you really can not go wrong any iPod you choose (providing it offers you all the space you require). I have a three year old 32GB that survived 14 months of abuse in Iraq and still works flawlessly. I even leave it hooked to the mp3 jack in my truck 24/7 and the only REAL issue is that the battery only lasts a couple of hours now (which is my own fault for subjecting it to extreme hot/cold temps.), so don't be afraid of a used one if thats what you really want. And I mean no disrespect here, but I highly doubt that your ears are sensitive enough to notice a huge difference in sound quality (mine sure aren't) between an expensive BOSE and a $50 set-up. You could even buy a $15 cable to hook your iPod to the headphone jack of whatever stereo you have now. I just don't want you to throw money away on an expensive BOSE when most people can't really tell the difference in sound quality (and I'm not saying there isn't a difference, its just very subtle to most people). I challenge you to listen to the BOSE next to something that costs much less, and if you can really notice a drastic change, then at least you know you made the right choice.

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
i would go for the classic too..

its better to used on the go if you get the fm tuner (looks like a 2nd gen shuffle) cos you can control it without having to get it out of your pocket. plus the storage is great its a flash drive too off extremely large size if you need it, (well on a mac u can. not sure about on windows).

sound quality will differ with headphones. some really expensive ones r worse than some cheep ones is a shame you have to buy them b4 you know. i am a bit pernickety and took a few back just cos i didn't think they were worth the price. ones i found the best were the in ear ones, apples are quite good but at just under £60 r over priced though you get the controls on them.. i found sony ones that were really good for only £30 just as good as my £110 denon ones but those r over ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.