Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best Keyboard?

• Swype

Votes: 97 22.9%
  • Fleksy

Votes: 29 6.8%
  • TouchPal

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Swiftkey

Votes: 263 62.0%
  • Minuum

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
It's funny, when I made this thread I thought swiping was such a relief but now I much rather prefer the stock keyboard. I would just like to have the choice of changing the keyboard to different colors if I could. It is a hassle swiping back and forth, much easier to just type it out.

I usually only use gesture typing when using the phone one-handed. The situations I would do that would be when I am lying down on my side and if the phone is mounted on my car mount. When using the phone 2-handed, I always peck with my thumbs with the landscape keyboard. I type faster with two thumbs in landscape.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I usually only use gesture typing when using the phone one-handed. The situations I would do that would be when I am lying down on my side and if the phone is mounted on my car mount. When using the phone 2-handed, I always peck with my thumbs with the landscape keyboard. I type faster with two thumbs in landscape.

Yea I agree, landscape mode is so much easier. Apple should allow every app the option of having portrait mode on any device.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
The ONLY thing I don't like about the stock keyboard is that it's more difficult to get to punctuation like commas, question marks, etc... and of course numbers.

I really wish they'd implement a similar touch & hold system to get to certain punctuation and even numbers. You wouldn't even have to add anymore rows.. Just put the numbers across QWERTYUIOP so if you wanted #1 you'd hold Q and so on. Same with putting punctuation on certain letters in the ZXCVBNM row.

It's much easier to hold a key for a little longer and get your punctuation instantly than it is to press the bottom left 123 key to select your punctuation.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
The ONLY thing I don't like about the stock keyboard is that it's more difficult to get to punctuation like commas, question marks, etc... and of course numbers.

I really wish they'd implement a similar touch & hold system to get to certain punctuation and even numbers. You wouldn't even have to add anymore rows.. Just put the numbers across QWERTYUIOP so if you wanted #1 you'd hold Q and so on. Same with putting punctuation on certain letters in the ZXCVBNM row.

It's much easier to hold a key for a little longer and get your punctuation instantly than it is to press the bottom left 123 key to select your punctuation.

I've been thinking about why the stock keyboard doesn't have more features like the 3rd party keyboards, swipe, touch & hold, and many others, then, it occurred to me that this is as much as we are going to get with the stock keyboard because of one simple fact, Apple gets 30% of every paid installed 3rd party keyboard, if Apple made the stock keyboard with all the third party options, the sales of 3rd party keyboards would be minimal.

I don't know how many downloads Swype has, but in less than a week it was the No. 1 paid app and 30% of that goes to Apple, I bet that's a lot of money.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Yea I agree, landscape mode is so much easier. Apple should allow every app the option of having portrait mode on any device.

I think all apps where you need to enter something should have both a landscape and portrait option. There are many places within iOS where I couldn't type in landscape. I encounter this in the setup. I thought my phone was defective when I was trying to turn my phone sideways to type my ID and passwords.

My banking app on my iPad Mini doesn't have a portrait mode. The same banking app on my Transformer tablet doesn't have a landscape mode. I prefer portrait on my iPad Mini and landscape on my Transformer because I use a keyboard dock. :mad:

This is one of the many reasons I wanted to use SwiftKey. Due to all of the bugs, I just can't.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Word of warning. Just bought from App Store. Froze and doesn't open. Then no keyboard was available. Had to delete to get normal keyboard back. It didn't have any reviews either which is odd. Shame. Do like look of this one though

Yeah, seems to be something:

with the apps themselves
with 802s keyboard options
with messages

Hopefully this is just teething and someone will fix whatever is the cause, soon.

Found this video review, didn't even know about the swipe selection!:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/1...e-jailbreak-keyboard-features-to-ios-8-video/

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I'd be curious how many people picking one choice has actually tried out any of the others?

For example, how many people picking SwiftKey (which is free) have also used Swype (which is not free)? Because if you haven't tried both, your opinion is worthless.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I'd be curious how many people picking one choice has actually tried out any of the others?

For example, how many people picking SwiftKey (which is free) have also used Swype (which is not free)? Because if you haven't tried both, your opinion is worthless.

I have tried SwiftKey, Swype and Touchpal. I found SwiftKey to be the least accurate when swiping to type. Swype and Touchpal are almost 100% accurate for me. For now I am mainly using Touchpal because of the ability to enter numbers and punctuation without changing the key pad. You can swipe up from the top row to write numbers and swipe down from lower keys for punctuation. I also like the easy access to emoji and the ability to use shortcuts. The only thing that bothers me is the app is free. They have to make money somehow. I'd rather pay them, than worry that they will somehow use my information to generate money. Not saying they will, but how can they give it away for free.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
. The only thing that bothers me is the app is free. They have to make money somehow. I'd rather pay them, than worry that they will somehow use my information to generate money. Not saying they will, but how can they give it away for free.
Actually, no need to be concerned. This is a well established company and you can thank Android users for your free app.
This is why Touchpal is free:

Our Market share:
>45 manufacturers/ODMs/OEMs have selected TouchPal Keyboard.
18% Android phones are shipped with the TouchPal Keyboard as default keyboard.
>50M global shipments already.
2.TouchPal is Vodafone and Orange ODM devices’ default keyboard since 2009.
3.In 2013, our interactive input technology was selected by Mercedes-Benz and Sony camera.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, seems to be something:

with the apps themselves
with 802s keyboard options
with messages

Hopefully this is just teething and someone will fix whatever is the cause, soon.

Found this video review, didn't even know about the swipe selection!:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/1...e-jailbreak-keyboard-features-to-ios-8-video/

Thanks. Seems to have been the in thing with the jailbreakers, It's a shame we can't add that top row to the standard keys. You'd think it wouldn't be much of a problem. But..., we wait.

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2014
Anyone notice any fixes on SwiftKey? I feel like it knows my prediction more better than before now.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Word of warning. Just bought from App Store. Froze and doesn't open. Then no keyboard was available. Had to delete to get normal keyboard back. It didn't have any reviews either which is odd. Shame. Do like look of this one though

Okay I just installed ikeywi 1.0.2. It's not crashing on me anymore, how about you? Drag selection is way fast too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.