Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colingray344

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been on a backpack hunt in preparation for college. I've looked through quite a few laptop backpacks such as North Face, Timbuk2, STM, Targus, SwissGear etc.

But I just want to get some quick thoughts from what you guys suggest/use. Here are my criteria:

-Fits my 15" Macbook Pro (unibody)
-Good padding and protection for laptop
-Carries 2 or 3 college textbooks
-A few folders and notepads
-Comfortable to wear (I'll be biking to class everyday)
-Space for charger, cables, hard disk, USB stick, umbrella, TI-84 calculator, headphones, iPhone, snack, pencil case, glasses, mouse
-Not too bulky or heavy
-Slim profile and chick magnet stylish
-Water bottle holder
-Unlimited budget
-Does not scream LAPTOP!

Thanks guys :)

olivarrr

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Boooooq!

I searched for months to find a half-decent looking rucksack, and eventually ended up buying the Booq Mamba Shift L, and its AWESOME =D

Doesn't scream "nerd" either :p

Seriously, no others even come close. Rucksacks are generally vile, but this one is semi-acceptable!

Peace-out :apple:

colingray344

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I checked out the Booq Mambia Shift. It looks great but I was just wondering does the outside pocket fit a water bottle?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
northface recon!!! that's what I have. its a hikers backpack with a laptop compartment and two water bottle holders and a large all purpose mesh pouch that expands to fit what ever you want :D

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
northface recon!!! that's what I have. its a hikers backpack with a laptop compartment and two water bottle holders and a large all purpose mesh pouch that expands to fit what ever you want :D

Hmm can't get hold of this one in the UK on ebay, only the surge appears on ebay here!
Is there much of a difference between the two? Can't see me going hiking with my MBP but I do hike...

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
You'll an arm & a leg but try Crumpler, amazing quality, very stylish - love 'em.

aside from the north face backpack (a colleague recommended a backpack as opposed to an over the shoulder number for walking to work and rush hour on the tube) a crumpler sticky date laptop bag is the only thing I've seen and liked. I've got a 5 year old crumpler bag for my ibook and apart from the dust is like new, no nicks no tairs no broken zip or velcro!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
not to sound like a sales man but the northface was a bit expensize, i think its close to $90 bought new, but I got mine on ebay. IT was still new but for $70. Worth the money!!! Really rugged. Its served me well through grad school and i can for see it lasting another 7 years where I'll most likely use it for hiking and traveling as i'm done with school.

colingray344

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
The BBP Industries bag looks great! But unfortunately, they don't ship international (unless going through a lot of hassle with Bango) and can't seem to find it on eBay or Amazon

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Am I the only one who thinks Booq bags are ugly? At my school and schools my friends are at, North Face backpacks have been the popular choice for ye ars, especially the Hot Shot model. I personally have the Modem because the Hot Shot was sold out everywhere I went.

The North Face Hot Shot will hold all the stuff you have and more. All the popular kids at my school have North Face packs and they are extremely durable as well as comfortable.

Hurley packs are my second choice and a choice not mentioned so far.

supercaliber

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Swiss gear!!!, they have one I love don't know the name but they have it all, looks, protection, well engineered and designed zippers, handy pockets

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Tom Bihn!

I've tried Booq and Ogio and now, Tom Bihn.

Tom Bihn FTW! I like the vertical Brain Cell with Brain Bag combo. This has the BEST protection:comfort:style ratio in my opinion.

Sure- you could get some HUGE monstrosity that protects your MBP from a five story drop, but I'm sure it'll be cumbersome and ugly.

Tom Bihn's products are GREAT, they ship internationally, and they're made in the USA and are TOP QUALITY! And the level of protection is INCREDIBLE! Check some youtube videos for Tom Bihn reviews.

Tom Bihn also has a messenger bag that fits a horizontal Brain Cell and has a customizable water bottle holder.

Go for Tom Bihn! You won't be sorry!!!:D

P.S. Make sure if you get a Brain Cell, to get it in the position (vertical or horizontal) that you will carry it in. The Brain Cell is made to protect your laptop in THAT position, so if you're like me and like to have a bookbag, and not a messenger bag, get the vertical Brain Cell. If however, you're going to get a messenger bag, get the horizontal Brain Cell.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Best bag I found!

099407619.jpg

It's excellent.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been on a backpack hunt in preparation for college. I've looked through quite a few laptop backpacks such as North Face, Timbuk2, STM, Targus, SwissGear etc.

But I just want to get some quick thoughts from what you guys suggest/use. Here are my criteria:

Checkout the grey hurley that they used to sell in the Apple store. I dont know if they still do cuz I bought mine a few years ago, but its been the best backpack ive ever owned. Im not even a huge hurley fan, but this thing is super high quality and not bulky. It almost feels like a piece of luggage. friggen love it.

Juno364

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
North Face Surge. Excellent pack with plenty of organization and it is very comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.