Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I also have one of these: http://bbpbags.com/hamptons.html ...very unusual. Used with the shoulder strap, a little less comfortable than I'd hoped (there's a buckle in the wrong place for some usage) but it's so convenient to be able to carry it messenger-style or as a backpack. Very nicely constructed, too. Look online for coupons.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah I am in the same position as the OP and have been looking around for a good bag. Finally decided just to get a normal backpack and use an incase neoprene sleeve. Seems to have the most storage capacity this way and you won't get a bag that looks like crap.

oliverhoward

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
Placentia, California
You may want to look at this Glide backpack from Briggs & Riley. First off, it looks slim and stylish and doesn’t have “laptop” written all over it. In fact, you can just as easily take it to the gym or for a weekend trip. Second, it has a padded sleeve for a 15” laptop and pockets to hold your notebooks, power supply, peripherals, etc. You can use the front organizer to put your textbooks in. Finally, it’s got ergonomic back straps, which should make it really comfortable to carry.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I use an Ogio Mastermind. Its not the cheapest ($100 regular, $90 right now on ebags.com), but Ogio will replace it for life. I've had mine for 3 years, and the first one's strap holder (the plastic thing for tightening) cracked after a year of incredibly heavy use, but it was still usable with some caution, and after school was out, I sent it in to Ogio and they had a new one for me in 2 weeks. It has a great laptop pouch that fits up to 17" laptops, but the way it is designed it takes any size lower than that very well also. I use it with my 13" MBP nearly every day, and I use it with just a neoprene sleeve, and no problems thus far. It also has a large pocket that I can fit up to 6 1" binders and 1 3" textbook in, just for reference, though the bag is a bit tighter when you first purchase it, so don't expect that immediately, it does have to break in. It also has a smaller pouch in front of that that can easily fit some folders. In fact, it was designed to hold papers for traveling, and therefore the pocket has 3 dividers in it. Also, it has a smaller front pocket for miscellaneous items, such as keys, gum, etc. There are two smaller pockets on the bottom for the charger and mouse. There are two more even smaller pockets towards the top for other miscellaneous gear, and finally a top pocket with a felt-ish interior for iPods, phones, and the like, with a headphone out hole.

The bag itself doesn't weigh much, but when fully loaded it can get extremely heavy, simply because it can hold so much. I believe it is Ogio's largest bag at the moment. If you really want one, there are about 10 color combinations, but Ogio only manufactures a few at a time. When I bought mine, I saw black, plaid, and red, but now I don't see the red, and there are about 4 other colors on Ogio's site.

crowcreekc

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Check out SLAPPA best bag I have owned.

I use the SLAPPA Ballistix AURA Silver/Orange Laptop Shoulder Bag along with the Ballistix AURA Silver/Orange Laptop Sleeve for I carry my work HP and my personal MacBook Pro. I am able to carry all the cables, power supplies, multiple mice and other gear. So would be perfect for carrying books and your Laptop.

http://slappa.com.au/ballistixaurasilverorangelaptopshoulderbag.aspx

Has worked great and looking at purchasing a M.A.S.K. Backpack as well.

http://slappa.com.au/highfivemaskcustomizablebackpack.aspx

6string

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
I cast my vote for Slappa

I've had a few of these bags including the Tom Bihn (which is nice) and the North Face hot shot--good looking but not in the same league. The Slappa Mask is one incredible backpack and I haven't seen anything else worth considering for $120. it sounds expensive but for the quality, padding and storage space its amazingly fairly priced.

celitrd2

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
go to Sam's club and get the SwissGear backpack. It costs only $39.99 and looks very well made!!!

chrisgayle885

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Currently, I am using backpack by Briggs & Riley luggage which can hold 17” laptop at ease. Built-in padded computer sleeve with elastic Velcro to protect laptop from any kind of damage or scratches. Two main compartments for comfortable carry of textbook, folder or any other hard stuff. Adjustable straps to carry as per tour. It’s external features includes padded vertical pocket perfect for a cell phone Port hole of a MP3 player headphone gusseted bottom pocket holds cables/cords Side, zippered, mesh water bottle pocket.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
The Thule Crossover line was basically created for exactly your stated purposes. It's also the most swag one I've ever had.

mick.taige

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
What I need

Hey there, not sure if people will respond to this but yeah, Im in need of a good backpack.

Here are some things I will put in it and some features I like in backpacks.

Color: Blue (I dont know why)
Fits Mba 11inch
Space for 4 books
space for in ear headphones
Charger
Space for lunch
Mouse

Please help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.