Best Laptop Cooler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Codeseven, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Since heat is 'the' worst enemy of computer components (ok, water too) and I use my new MBP as a replacement to my desktop, I want to keep it as cool as possible. I also play FSX on XP SP3 and those fans get crankin shortly (by the way, I'm using the Nvidia 179.28 Beta driver with good results). In addition to using the SMC Fan Control I want a good laptop cooler. Can anyone recommend one to me? Thanks

2. isaki87 macrumors regular

I have the Moshi- Zefyr Pro. I only use it when Im at home and using Final Cut Pro or other high CPU intensive apps. It does make a difference in cooling the unit and I also like that it elevates the laptop too. It costs a little more than other laptop coolers, but this does the job well.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

$86? ouch.

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

i have the nc2000 even though for the time being im using a 15"plan on upgrading and replacing my desktop with a new 17"

these things are silent and keep it cool, either one looks complementing to the new unibodies.

theyre not angled weird either, gives you a nice comfortable raise and odesnt hurt to type or use the trackpad

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the coolpad from targus. It works well and is quiet but rather bulky for desktop use. I don't use it most of the time as the cooling architecture in the MBP is robust IMO.

6. HONDAxACURA macrumors regular

I've been using Vantec LapCool 2 for my iBook and Aluminum Macbook. The cooler has done a great job keeping the temps down. However, due to their design, the fan blows in the center while the heatsource from the notebook is towards the screen area. Not too effective, nonetheless, the lower my temps by as much as 10-15C if I'm playing games on XP or running Adobe apps.

I have been looking for a better design one and i found this. http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDe...atures&subcategory=notebook&category=notebook It has the fan situated at the top, where all the cpu and heat is at. I believe this is a good design. All aluminum. Looks good, but i haven't tried it yet.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

iLap by Rain; I found that the passive cooling of the iLap to more efficient than powered coolers with my early 08 2.4 Penryn MBP.

The powered cooler tends to reduce the temperature of the bottom of the MBP, however I found that this fools the MBP`s cooling system to some extent and the internal fans tend to spin down faster resulting in higher CPU/GPU temperatures.

The iLap`s passive cooling definitely keeps my model of MBP cooler, I was also initially skeptical that it would out perform my single fan powered Belkin cooler, I found a significant difference under full load, and of course no additional fan noise.

Running: Safari, iTunes, Mail, Pages, ConceptDraw Pro, 48C :)

Q6

8. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

I've seen the Zalman laptop coolers mentioned a few times, they must be decent. Right now I just stick two notepads on either side to keep it off the desktop, crude and dorky looking but it helps.

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

RoadTools/Targus CoolPad. I swear up and down by this thing -- two of these (for two different laptops) have outlasted nearly 10 years of laptops for me. Passive cooling, rubber feet, rotating base, typing angle, etc. etc. And not terribly expensive.

10. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Darwinian,

It's the 'passive' cooling part that is interesting as most seem to be powered. Are your temps still kept low?

11. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

I've been using this for a week and it seems effective (mind you I don't do any heavy duty work):

http://www.koolsink.com/

[​IMG]

This is the black one which isn't available anymore, they are all the aluminum which matches perfectly the mbp.

12. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I wouldn't pay $32 for that. I could probably find something else around the house to prop up my MBP thats free.

13. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Really you have sheets of aluminum sitting around doing nothing? :rolleyes:

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Certainly no USB ports involved here, and I think my temps are slightly but not drastically reduced. Passive cooling is also super quiet. ^^ I've never done systematic tests because of all of the other benefits. I'd guess it's minor at best -- certainly less than active cooling, obviously. I've never had any heat problems, even in warm rooms with no air circulation, so it could be doing something. Of course I've never tested it, either.

15. blitzraider macrumors member

:apple:I dunno about you, but I decided to get the notepal W2 for my new unibody 17 incher. It is made of aluminum and has 3 fans and also 2 usb hubs in the back. Maybe you could look into that.

16. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Personally I would go for the iCurve, iLap or mStand.

I read an article in Engadget or Computerworld (do a search) that cooling pads cause more damage than good to the drives.

Also fan coolers worked great for a few months and fail.

17. blitzraider macrumors member

In the cooler master cooler pad that I am talking about, you can actually replace the fans with ordinary computer fans.

18. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking further into MBP cooling I found that most laptop coolers are made for your 'typical' PC laptop which has openings for the fans uptake/exhaust on the bottom of the laptop and work 'mostly' by assisting those fans via the coolers fans. As you all know, the MBP's only have an exhaust along the back hingeline. Laptop coolers with fans wil then only help to cool the bottom of a MBP not assist it's fans with cooling.

Therefore if you buy a laptop cooler it's fans need to be situated at the bottom back half toward the hinge line where most of the heat is produced. Ideally a laptop cooler that perhaps cooled that back half of the MBP 'and' assisted with it's exhaust along the hingeline would be best. Which one would do that I dont know.

19. applevik macrumors member

Codeseven, I think the Moshi Zefyr seems to address some of what you mention. It would be good if there was a solution that worked with the actual exhaust opening.

20. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Applevik,

Question, if the MBP's exhaust is in the back, where are the air inlet(s)? Are they through the keyboard or speaker openings? The reason I ask is because I, as many people are now doing, use my laptop as a replacement for my desktop and while doing so I have it connected to an external monitor so the laptop is closed while it's running. That may not be a good idea depending on where the air 'inlets' are located. I may be affectively 'choking' off the fresh air supply!

21. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

When I investigated this issue the answer usually given re: lid closed or clamshell mode is that since :apple: describes how to do this and thereby endorses this, then there must be no issues with heating. Others have suggested leaving the lid open if concerned, which is something I do occasionally as well as utilizing the "koolsink" stand. Anecdotally the koolsink seems to have made a difference in temps and fan usage, I can't really tell if opening the lid does.

22. MattsxB macrumors member

Xpad4laptop

I have had my Xpad4laptop for about 2 years and it works great.

for more information on the product go to www.xpad4laptop.com

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Buy some long cables and keep your Macbook Pro in the refrigerator. Be sure to set the refrigerator temperature to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

24. alex09 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone...

:)...Continued usage of your laptop is bound to make the temperatures inside the machine to surpass the appropriate levels. This is mostly when working in enclosed areas where air supplies are not sufficient and the inbuilt laptop fan is overwhelmed. It turns out you can not place your laptop on your lap because of the heat. Again depending on the model of the cooler, there are those that you can adjust the speed of the fan while there are others that are on fixed.

25. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

There's a cheaper solution without fans:

[​IMG]

Cold Gel :D