best laptop mouse for gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansirone, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ansirone macrumors regular

ansirone

i would like to purchase a nice gaming mouse for my mbp, im gonna be installing boot camp and some games.

2. azharc macrumors member

I use the Razer DeathAdder for Mac (but of course it works perfectly fine in Windows too.)
    Love it.

Also used Logitech MX Rev. and that's also a great pick.

3. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I used a Razer Death Adder on my PC. It was amazing for 6 months then it fell apart. I have heard Razers tend to do that. On the other hand my friend has been using a logitech MX something for 5+ years with zero problems.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

VX Revolution. I like the MX, but that's not portable. The VX is just smaller, but offers practically the same experience.

5. Logos327 macrumors 6502

That is what I am using right now (wireless) and it is great. Haven't tried gaming with it though.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I just ordered a Logitech v470 bluetooth mouse (it's on the way). It's supposed to be very responsive, including for gaming, which I'll be using it for plenty. It also has 6-month battery life, and doesn't require a USB port, because it connects directly to your bluetooth chip in your laptop.

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I received my new Kensington SlimBlade TrackBall mouse yesterday and it is amazing. A bit pricey but really good quality. It too has bluetooth so connected straight away to my MB. The trackball is really good for scrolling which might be useful in gaming if you can program it somehow.

I also have a Kensington Expert which I can highly recommend, though not for your needs, but I would say any pointing device from Kensington will be good :)

8. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Hahaha... this thread cracks me up because I've been using my Mighty Mouse for gaming for some time.

Not really ideal considering you have to take your left finger off the mouse to right click. But I work with what I have...

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well Bluetooth mice are nice in the way that you don't have to carry a receiver, but they also suffer from latency issues. It might not be noticeable in some games, but in others like FPS, you may notice the difference.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

Razer is garbage. After burning through a copperhead, then a diamondback, then a habu, all in the same 6 months, I will not buy another. The Logitech G9 has a far superior build quality, and the second shell makes it very comfortable. Configure in Windows with the software, then uninstall the software because the settings are saved on the mouse! Brilliant. It's $100, and it shows.

If that's a little too rich for your blood (In truth I got the mouse for for an employee purchase program that cut the price in half), the G5, and the MX518 are also excellent. Couldn't recommend the MX Revolution as it's wireless. The VX revolution is also nice, but not so hot for competitive play.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wow. Just wow. I play AoE3 LAN with my Dad sometimes. I simple cannot understand how he deals with that mighty mouse. It seriously cuts my game performance in half. The things I hate are the scroll ball and the fact that the left and right mouse buttons are not distinct from each other.

12. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    could you give us a little feedback about this mouse when you have it ? I actually would like to buy the same.

I can't believe that there is more lag with a bluetooth mouse than with a classic wireless mouse.

Tex

13. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

yes, id like to know about this as well, as i am considering this and the vx revolution as my top picks so far.

14. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I had one for about 3 hours and it went back to the store. In my opinion there is NO BT mouse that can be used for gaming. They just don't respond quick enough for me.

15. Logos327 macrumors 6502

It looks like the other mouse doesn't have extra-buttons. If you are interested in that thing the VX is definitely the way to go and it is pretty responsive.

/\ keep that in mind. I haven't tried BT but if it is anything like 2.4Ghz you should definitely try one out before you buy (if you can). For casual gaming (i.e. WoW, Spore) it will work fine. COD4 on the other hand will be a different situation. I don't mind my wireless mouse for causal COD4 deathmatches, but the lag is unacceptable for ranked matches or serious play. Talk to some friends and see if you can borrow a wireless (or BT) mouse for a couple of hours.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I already have the V470. Like I said, it works quite well, except there is bluetooth latency.

17. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Yes i should have clarified. I was not referring to casual gaming. I've been running a game server too long and assume when discussing games people are looking for the best performance.

18. Logos327 macrumors 6502

It would be great to know which games the OP is interested in :). I love the freedom of my wireless mouse, but the latency just doesn't work for fast paced games (MX518 for those).

Is there an observable difference between BT and wireless?

19. tecknical macrumors regular

VX nano. I love it since i dont even have to take out the receiver because its so small

20. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

I just got the orange box and spore, plus other games like gta San andreas and maybe crysis

21. Habusho macrumors 6502

I don't know about the other mice but my Apple Bluetooth and even a Logitech wireless (forget the model name) are terrible for gaming. I'd go for a v nice wired mouse for serious gaming.

22. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Then I would go for a nice wired logitech for TF2 and Crysis

23. ansirone thread starter macrumors regular

ansirone

Any recommendations on a wired logitech?

24. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

25. m1stake macrumors 68000

Blue tooth is pretty responsive, but there is nothing like the cord to get rid of latency.

Best corded mouse, as I wrote above, is the G9. Don't touch Razer, pick up a G9, G5, or MX518. Not officially mac compatible, just set it up as you like on a windows box and plug it into your Mac. The on board memory will remember.