Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Hello,
So, my Apple branded Usb/lightning cables keep tearing because I'm pretty rough on them, but I feel like they're not the sturdiest ones out there anyway. They do, however, have always provided a good, consistent connection between the phone and the charger/computer and look good, not that it's my primary concern. I decided to give the Belkin cables a try since they seemed to be thicker and longer, not to mention I found them for $11 on a sale. The Belkin cable worked amazing for two months but now every few seconds or few minutes, it loses connection and then connects back again. This is extremely annoying and I'm wondering what kind/brand of lightning cable you prefer? Should I just suck it up and buy the Apple branded ones every few months, or is there something out there that offers both value and quality? I hear good things about the Incase and Amazon brands....any comments?

Forgive my grammar, I wrote this quite quickly--gotta get back to work haha.

-Jay

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
2 Unactivated Unlocked 5s, not working with other sims, help

Sorry for the wrong post

I have ventec flat lightening cables which are nice as well as best buy rocket fish cables are nice.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
They do, however, have always provided a good, consistent connection between the phone and the charger/computer and look good, not that it's my primary concern.
now every few seconds or few minutes, it loses connection and then connects back again. This is extremely annoying and I'm wondering what kind/brand of lightning cable you prefer?
I think a good consistent connection is the most important thing. I've found the Apple cables to be the most reliable. I get lots of cheap immitations and they never work well (most of my cheap ones have been the 30 pin types, I'm still new to the lightning cable). If they are breaking a lot you could look at why they are breaking, and possibly be a little more careful. Maybe be a little easier when removing them?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The Belkin cable worked amazing for two months but now every few seconds or few minutes, it loses connection and then connects back again.

Just curious: what are you doing to these cables that they rip up so easily? One of my cables is still the original lightning cable I got last year with my iPhone 5.

Maybe a longer cable will help? Amazon sells an MFi certified lightning cable that's twice the length of the Apple cables, for less cost:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Cable-Feet-Meter/dp/B00B3OA7R8/

The connectors on them are pretty sturdy too, though they don't work too well with some cases.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Sorry for the wrong post

I have ventec flat lightening cables which are nice as well as best buy rocket fish cables are nice.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I take my cable EVERYWHERE I go. I use it at home, put it in my pocket, use it in the car, use it at the office, in the car again, then at home again, and on the weekends, wherever I end up going. I'm trying to be more careful though..... I mean they don't break every month or anything... my stock apple cable lasted 6 months, I believe. It feels like back in the dock connector days there were a lot of good 3-rd party choices, I guess the lightning connector is still relatively young.

I might try mono price. I've used their dvi/displayport adapters and they're pretty good, though their dvi cables have been hit or miss.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Apple lighting cable is the most reliable one. Have tried generics to be disappointed within weeks. In my car I still carry the one that came with my 5 a year ago. I have a 5s now.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have some Griffin cables that seem pretty sturdy and so far have maintained a solid connection, including a 3m cable that's very thick and durable.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Another vote for the Griffin cables. Very thick cable on the 3m versions and black to match my 5s. Currently going for about £15 on eBay.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hello,
So, my Apple branded Usb/lightning cables keep tearing because I'm pretty rough on them, but I feel like they're not the sturdiest ones out there anyway. They do, however, have always provided a good, consistent connection between the phone and the charger/computer and look good, not that it's my primary concern. I decided to give the Belkin cables a try since they seemed to be thicker and longer, not to mention I found them for $11 on a sale. The Belkin cable worked amazing for two months but now every few seconds or few minutes, it loses connection and then connects back again. This is extremely annoying and I'm wondering what kind/brand of lightning cable you prefer? Should I just suck it up and buy the Apple branded ones every few months, or is there something out there that offers both value and quality? I hear good things about the Incase and Amazon brands....any comments?

Forgive my grammar, I wrote this quite quickly--gotta get back to work haha.

-Jay

Get this cable:
Tech Armor Apple Certified Lighting Cable - 6 Feet- White - Lightning Cable - Sync and Charge iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen
http://amzn.com/B00DZ0J74W

Look at the review. It is mine. It has a video. The cable is very thick! Thicker than any other one I have seen. Plus a lifetime warranty.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I bought the 3x cheap cables for $5 total and they all went in the trashcan in a matter of 3 weeks. Bought a mono price cable and it's pretty sturdy and no issues so far.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I got a couple from monoprice.com that seem pretty sturdy. They were about $11 and are a bit longer than the Apple ones. They also feel a slight bit thicker, so you might try one of those out.

Monssef

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I have a couple of questions before I decide which one I will buy.
Does ventev make cables longer than 3ft? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Anybody else tried tech Armor? Looks promising but there isn't enough reviews about it.
Does griffin 3m fit all the cases? Does it work with 5s with the latest Ios 7.0.3?
Thank you guys.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I have a couple of questions before I decide which one I will buy.
Does ventev make cables longer than 3ft? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Anybody else tried tech Armor? Looks promising but there isn't enough reviews about it.
Does griffin 3m fit all the cases? Does it work with 5s with the latest Ios 7.0.3?
Thank you guys.

Actually that 1 review is my review:) I got a sample and it is a great cable. The 6ft one has a very thick cable(thickest one I have). The 2ft one as a normal thickness like most others. I actually bought one myself because I liked it so much. I have 2 of them now:)

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
My dad pulls on the cord to take the cable off vs the proper way to pull it off using the edge. Thus I hate to report the rocket fish is now showing stripped on his cables after just 3 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.