Best mac all-in-one printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brandonk, Sep 6, 2007.

1. brandonk macrumors newbie

I have had lots of trouble with my HP all-in-one printer and I am looking to replace it. The biggest overall annoyance I had was the extremely long wait for Mac OS 10.4 drivers from HP after Tiger came out. I am hoping this time that I can pick a printer that will quickly be updated for Leopard.

Which major company is known best for their support of Mac OS X updates for AIO printers?
    Are there any particular models that stand out?

In terms of features I just need ethernet, scan, copy, and print.

Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

All-in-one printers simply don't work

It is a shame Apple includes printers that simply don't work with their products. It is clearly the weakest link in the Apple store product offering. I have 2 all-in-one HP printers and one all-in-one Epson printer and on both the scanning feature either doesn't work at all (in the HP case) or barely works (in the Epson case).

What printers actually work as advertised with Macs???

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have no problems with my Canon Pixma MP460. Scan/Print/Copy all work as required. Decent print quality for such a cheap printer. No ethernet, just USB.

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've run an HP Photosmart C7180 All-in-One since last January. Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier work great, and the quality is excellent, imo.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I really like my Canon MP600 and Canon has proven itself to me over the past 3 years with my i9900.

6. MK2007 macrumors regular

I have never had any problems with printers and Macs. I currently own 2 HP lasers (one color, one b&W) and an Epson all-in-one inkjet. Even before an OS X driver was available for the HP 2600n color laser I chose a similar driver (HP 2550n or something like that) and it worked perfectly.

7. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

As far as printer quality is concerned, Canon are the way to go. I have an HP and don't like it much at all. It works, but it gives me trouble whether using a Mac or PC (doesn't play well with refilled ink cartridges). It's a PSC 1315v if you're wondering what to stay clear of. Cheap, though.

8. kde82.Linux macrumors newbie

kde82.Linux

ok Canon ? for you

Hello,

have the Same Printer, and have bought a Netgear converter to turn the printer into a ip address. My Wife(Gateway XP) can used the printer just fine. BUT my MACBOOK PRO can't see it at all, I have a Netgear Daul abg wireless Firefall vpn router. and a Netgear storage box(plug straight to the router) that hold two IDE HARD Drives.... ok please follow me, this might help you and who else that reads this, with how fix my problem, OR tips too.

I am able to see my Wife Itunes from my tunes I am able to see her shared folders. I have to go through her's laptop to access the Storeage box(which is another problem for another topic) but I can not get to the printer at all.

I have adding the Ip Address, NOTHing. I have installed the Drivers and the tools from the Cannon CD, and when I plug the USB, it pick it up and prints right away. but I rather go Wireless. Since I have one two laptops and built desktop that is running SuSe ENterprice(which I going to which back to Ubuntu). So three computers and my moble HTC Mogule phone. I would like to print from.

so any clues?

I had been reading up on the new Time Capsule, and it had a USB right on it for printing ables.. but I have not bought the 1TB TC yet, so I thought maybe you, or someone might know how to help me out

Thank you very much
    TUX

9. kde82.Linux macrumors newbie

kde82.Linux

ok Canon ? for you

Hello,

have the Same Printer, and have bought a Netgear converter to turn the printer into a ip address. My Wife(Gateway XP) can used the printer just fine. BUT my MACBOOK PRO can't see it at all, I have a Netgear Daul abg wireless Firefall vpn router. and a Netgear storage box(plug straight to the router) that hold two IDE HARD Drives.... ok please follow me, this might help you and who else that reads this, with how fix my problem, OR tips too.

I am able to see my Wife Itunes from my tunes I am able to see her shared folders. I have to go through her's laptop to access the Storeage box(which is another problem for another topic) but I can not get to the printer at all.

I have adding the Ip Address, NOTHing. I have installed the Drivers and the tools from the Cannon CD, and when I plug the USB, it pick it up and prints right away. but I rather go Wireless. Since I have one two laptops and built desktop that is running SuSe ENterprice(which I going to which back to Ubuntu). So three computers and my moble HTC Mogule phone. I would like to print from.

so any clues?

I had been reading up on the new Time Capsule, and it had a USB right on it for printing ables.. but I have not bought the 1TB TC yet, so I thought maybe you, or someone might know how to help me out

Thank you very much
    TUX

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have an HP Photosmart 2610 all-in-one that I purchased almost 3 years ago that still runs fine. I also purchased the duplex printing unit and it has performed flawlessly. Although, I feel the software is bloated, it does work. I have it connected to my network and all the computers can print and scan from it. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I've got the Pixma MP210, dirt cheap. I paid £38 for it however they were offering a £20 rebate, which I missed out on by a month as the deal ended :( Coulda got it for £18 (36 USD). I looked on the Apple site for printers, then went and got it elsewhere for half price (and even cheaper had I got the rebate).

The one problem with it is it has no screen, however its no biggy. It photocopies very fast, prints okay fast, and good quality.

12. bananaquit macrumors member

Another vote for the Canon MP460. It has worked flawlessly so far...

13. bonafide macrumors regular

Strike one up for the Mp460 for me as well.

We use it quite a bit in our house for photo-printing and we've never had a bad experience. My only wish is that it had two paper trays to pull from so I don't have to unload and reload the paper each time I want to print a different size.

14. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I have a HP C4180 (purchased in May '07). Everything-print/scan/copy works perfectly.

15. katorga macrumors regular

Hp C5180

I have a C5180 that seems to work fine, although the software is horribly bloated (and a nightmare to decompress for windows installation). All functions work so far, but I have not tested the memory card reader. I connect via ethernet.

FWIW, it works just fine using the printer's ethernet port connected to my AEBS. Mac's find it by bonjour and setup is easy.

My gripes...

- it eats ink
    - high torque, at 32ppm the machine visibly jumps around. I wish I could slow it down some
    - I cannot find any mac driver setting to force B&W printing of color documents. (see it eats ink)

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

BEST All in One, Brother MFC 440CN

Been there done that with all the other multifunction printers. Brother is so simple to setup and also your printer ink cartridges last longer depending on the output your doing and they cost less. HP and Canon along with Epson have cheap all in one's and regular printers but the ink costs an arm and a leg, maybe two legs.

All I know is the Brothers have worked flawlessly for our house, even the scanning is awesome and Apples OS and Drivers for windows XP work great on the wifes dell.

BOL

17. jjprusk macrumors member

Best mac all-in-one printer - Canon Pixma MX850

I just recently purchased a Canon PIXMA MX850, which is Canon's newest A1 inkjet unit. The units works very well for printing, scanning, and copying (haven't done any faxing, so I can't comment on that feature). I'm very impressed with the level of driver support on OSX - printing is flawless and scanning over the network couldn't be easier. Print quality is first-rate as well as scanned images.

18. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I have a HP Photosmart pcs 2410 (it sucks) it never worked with tiger but it works with my AirPort Extreme now but never did before. I just wish Apple would make printers again

19. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be getting the Canon PIXMA MX850 AIO. I've heard good things about it and I previously owned an MP830, which was probably the best printer I've ever owned (accidentaly destroyed it). Has a network port as well.

20. err404 macrumors 68020

OSX looks for bonjour printers by default, but the netgrear uses SMB for its print queue. You should be able to add it manually to your MBP.

This may help:
    http://compserv.physics.harvard.edu/macosx_samba_print

The TC shares it's printers via Bonjour, so you may have the opposite issue with the MBP working, but the PC not. For XP to use Bonjour you will need to install drivers from Apple.

One other thing to keep in mind, you can use the MP460 as a networked printer, but not a scanner. For scanning you will have to plug it directly into your machine.

21. kde82.Linux macrumors newbie

kde82.Linux

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt

Thank you very much

22. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Is anyone using any of these AIOs with Airport Express? Just curious (I know that only the printing function will work wirelessly).

Thanks in advance.

23. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am printing Canon MP600 (which has been succeeded by MP610) over AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11g version, not the latest 802.11n).

Check iFelix unofficial Airport Extreme and Airport Express Printer Compatibility List for more comprehensive listing.

24. err404 macrumors 68020

I use AEBS N (pre-gigabit) to share a MP460. It works fine for printing. The only issue I have is that it does not seem to queue print jobs, so if you have two people printing at the same time, the second person will get an error.

25. BothBarsOn macrumors regular