Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
what do you use for local file synch? I've been using Synk since 2009 (I think), updated it in 2013. It shows my program is up to date, but today I was doing some mass file deletions and became concerned when I discovered the program was not deleting files as it should and was telling me it was synched up. It's possible I need a more updated version and am investigating, but wondering what you guys use for local file synch?

Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For file synch I use and recommend ChronoSync. I may not understand what your needs are, but I do not think of using a file synch program for just doing deletions.

Thanks for the suggestion. What are you referencing? I use a Synch program to keep two sources of files synched up with smart deletion, when deletions are required.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks for the suggestion. What are you referencing? I use a Synch program to keep two sources of files synched up with smart deletion, when deletions are required.
I was referencing "I was doing some mass file deletions" in the original post. Like I said, maybe I did not understand what you were trying to do with the program. Thanks for the clarification.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If you're not afraid of the command line, you can also use some simple shell scripts using the rsync command (which is the gold standard of efficient and reliable file syncing as far as I'm concerned).

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
USA
I've been using Synk since 2009 (I think), updated it in 2013. ... today I was doing some mass file deletions and became concerned when I discovered the program was not deleting files as it should
What did the developer say when your contacted them about Synk's apparent processing error?

It would be good to know if they've been unresponsive.

In addition to a support page here, they provide an email address too: support@decimus.net

Please let us know what happens. Thank you.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
+1 for ChronoSync! I have it automatically back up 1 RAID0 disk to another RAID0 disk in my Mac Pro each night at 3am. It's very flexible and works great for me

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Has anyone heard good or bad about an open source program called FreeFileSynch? www.FreeFileSynch.org

If you're not afraid of the command line, you can also use some simple shell scripts using the rsync command (which is the gold standard of efficient and reliable file syncing as far as I'm concerned).

Can that be automated and do you have a link? :)

What did the developer say when your contacted them about Synk's apparent processing error?

In addition to a support page here, they provide an email address too: support@decimus.net

Before I posted here, sent them an email, awaiting a response. Will report back.

+1 for ChronoSync! I have it automatically back up 1 RAID0 disk to another RAID0 disk in my Mac Pro each night at 3am. It's very flexible and works great for me

Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, it's made to be used in shell scripts. No link needed, it's part of the utilities that come with OS X. Just open a terminal and type "man rsync".

But what is that syncing? Is that a Time Machine Command? I have stuff on different hard drives separate from MacOS that needs to be kept in synch.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
But what is that syncing? Is that a Time Machine Command? I have stuff on different hard drives separate from MacOS that needs to be kept in synch.
No, it's a standard Unix tool. It syncs arbitrary files or directories either locally or between the local and a remote computer. I use it extensively to sync data between computers and to make backups on USB drives and a NAS. It's extremely flexible. Just read a little into the man page (there is an introduction section) and don't be deterred by the many options.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

I have found the developer to be very responsive, at least six months or so ago. Synk is a must have program for me as I cannot afford to lose valuable work. I also use Forever Save to save past versions of files so when I screw up and save a file before renaming it or screw up changes I can go back to an older version.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Most "sync" softwares are fancy UIs that help people use rsync. You can say "gold standard", but rsync is subject to user error and typos. Beware the rabbit hole. It works great, fast, and flawlessly, just like rm -rf.

And +1 to ccc if it's local. +1 to ChronoSync if it's over a network.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
To: somebody that uses Chronosync.

I'm interested in a program to synchronise files (mainly documents) between my laptop and desktop. I have read the Chronosync manual and it appears to only be able to synchronise on a schedule. In my use that would not be suitable, sometimes my laptop is only used for short periods at a time so if I miss a scheduled sync then my documents would be out. I don't want to have to manually initiate a sync.

Can Chronosync monitor folders for any change at all times and then kick in a sync immediately? Is there any other program that can do that?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

I'm interested in a program to synchronise files (mainly documents) between my laptop and desktop. I have read the Chronosync manual and it appears to only be able to synchronise on a schedule. In my use that would not be suitable, sometimes my laptop is only used for short periods at a time so if I miss a scheduled sync then my documents would be out. I don't want to have to manually initiate a sync.

Can Chronosync monitor folders for any change at all times and then kick in a sync immediately? Is there any other program that can do that?

Sync fro Decimus will auto sync between machines when a connection is detected.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Sync fro Decimus will auto sync between machines when a connection is detected.

Thanks for the tip on Synk, it does indeed look like it would fit the bill.

Unfortunately I'm not too keen on laying down $60 for a piece of software that is giving me the heebie jeebies that it might not continue to be around for much longer. I say this for a number of reasons; their website only references Yosemite compatibility and nothing about El Capitan, their Twitter account hasn't been used since 2012, the founder and author of the software has left the company, they have this statement in job section of the website 'Properties of an ideal person at the moment would be somebody capable of taking lead on an entire (existing) product, design and development, with minimal supervision' (almost like nobody is steering the ship right now).

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
So something like https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sync-folders/id530573877?mt=12
[doublepost=1461760477][/doublepost]OP, just curious... folder sync in real time... seems like an odd method. I once thought "this is great", but even dropbox waits a little to see what's up.

Another hack you could do, if it's easier, you can dump stuff into dropbox, and then have a secondary sync app like http://www.zibity.com/macdropany.html "pull" from the cloud folder... sort of an intermediary sync. One app puts it up, and the second pulls it down.

However, if you're doing "true" sync, it isn't going to provide you with any real benefit a symlink won't do. ln -s might be your best bet?

DrBrush

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016

I use Chronosync, and as far as I know it cannot monitor for changes and kick in a sync immediately. But you can set it up to synchronise often (say every 10 minutes, every hour etc.) but only to run one sync every 24 hours (or 2 days whatever you want). So once it has synced it will "go to sleep" for a while and start checking the following day again. I think you can also have it automatically connect to another computer, mount the disk and run the sync all in the background.

I would certainly add a vote for Chronosync.

Reactions: drumcat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.