best mac setup contest?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bc008, Apr 15, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

should MacRumors hold one?

not necessarily the mac pro with 2 30 inch ACDs will win for sure, but the setups that look like some thought went into them (dedicated desk, cable management, etc)

what do you think?

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I like the idea and have thought of a similar sort of thing before.

arn

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Plus de compétitions s'il vous plaît!

It sounds cool but what would the prize be? Money or a Mac sounds obvious but I think a really unique prize would be to offer winner(s) the chance of a custom title under their name as it's literally something that money can't buy! Or some other forum privelage based prize would be cool as it doesn't cost anything.

I think on a more general note though that there should be monthly or weekly competitions like on other sites which encourage more people to post. Such as a "Funniest Post of the Week/Month" competition for example.

Going back to the "Best Mac Setup" idea, how would you stop someone just searching on the net on a site like Flickr and posting someone else's setup as their own? There's also the fact that we've already got the extremely popular "Post your Mac Setup: Past & Present" thread which already has a lot of impressive looking setups. Wouldn't this cause a conflict?

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Maybe different categories, based on either computer or other criteria.

"Best iMac setup" ...or...
    "Most creative setup"

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

This would be one of the best ideas anyone's had since I joined. i think a category of "Most Retro/Old setup" would be in order, but you'd have to prove you actually use the computer. :p

I will win. I am a lock for the title.

*looks for duct tape*

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

maybe have over 100 post minimum to enter..
    also, maybe have the person post there setup with a paper on the desk or something that says there username?

prize could be something simple like custom user title, bigger avatar, apple gift card maybe?

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I think that a title and exposure on the front page of MR would be great rewards. :D

Also, this would be a poll, right? With, um, votes and everything?

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

9. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

why not? you can still have a external monitor and all that good stuff...

10. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Sure you can,

I use my MBP at my desk all the time

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Traditionally, winners of MacRumors contests receive a blue ribbon ([​IMG]) under their username. To keep it fair for past winners, I feel it's best if this tradition is continued.

Generally, posting just for the sake of posting is discouraged, as it's seen by many as a means to increase post count (for perks such as avatars and marketplace privileges) without actually contributing to the community.

12. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Interesting, I'd seen those ribbons before but I'd never paid much attention to them. Is a "ribbon image" a desirable enough prize though or do you get some other reward with it? How many people have taken part in past competitions?

I agree, posting for the sake of posting shouldn't be encouraged. I've seen lots of short sentence posts which are pretty useless. I prefer people to add to a discussion or make a unique, interesting or funny comment. That's why I think something along the lines of "Highest Rated" or "Most Insightful" would be most appropriate. And as I said before, "Funniest Post", subject to it being relevant to the thread discussion of course.

Anything that encourages people to actually THINK before posting a throwaway comment and change it to something of quality would be good for the site as a whole. No?

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can view the most recent contest here: Five Million Post Avatar Contest - Winners and Gallery

I can't speak for the site admins, but I suspect prizes of monetary value are too difficult to implement for for legal, logistical, and financial reasons. To answer your question, yes, I believe most feel that the ribbon is "desirable enough" and quite appropriate. The competitions here are held purely for entertainment purposes and the ribbon (and associated "bragging rights") just reinforce the enjoyment.

14. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

maybe past contest winners would be offended if we were to use their ribbon for something as simple as your home office.. maybe change the color to specify something?

it would be desirable enough for me.. sounds good??

a post as simple as a ibook on a bed could win, just matters on what the members of macrumors votes for

it seems this type of contest is plausible?

15. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Completely, in my opinion. :)

16. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i like this idea, and i think a ribbon would be very cool!

17. Shasterball macrumors 6502a

Shasterball

I would definitley lose, but I like the idea. Ribbon works just fine!

18. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

19. clinetech macrumors newbie

clinetech

What a great idea.

I think that would be a great idea. But the only thing is, obviously a Mac Pro or G5 is gonna win compared to a G3 iMac or eMac. I think that the G3 iMacs and G4 eMacs are the most beautiful computers ever made, and I will not use a LCD Mac, unless of course it is a iBook/PowerBook, but not like a iMac G4. I hate LCDs because they're hard to view from an angle. What are your thoughts on this topic?

:apple: iMac G3s rule!

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I do agree, iMac G3's are awesome. I don't mind LCD''s but I do prefer CRT.

The problem is, yes, people are probably going to be more inclined to pick a more "pro" Mac over a consumer oriented Mac, so it's going to be a little biased.

But, we could have seperate categories for each model. Though that may be a little impractial...

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

22. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

...Or if you really wanted to get in-depth there could be a best vintage setup, best iMac setup, best pro setup, etc.

Perhaps it would be the 6,000,000 post contest?